Author Topic: Just found this....  (Read 1360 times)

Offline shawtyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Just found this....
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:09:46 pm »
Don't know if there's a dedicated place for web links that folks find, but I just came across this, in one of my news letters:

https://phys.org/news/2017-12-power-electrical-devices.html

I wouldn't even know where to begin discussing it, but it seemed quite interesting to share.

Shawty
Meh....

Offline Decoman

• Regular Contributor
Re: Just found this....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 01:15:42 pm »
:)

I've been following lectures on quantum mechanics on youtube from universities and trying to come to get ideas about what could happen below planck scale for thinking about subatomic virtual particles, and I personally speculate that there  would be just an unknown chaos at this abyss in our universe, as if there would be this non dimensional aspect to that which as I imagine it would be a barrier between our four dimensional world with space time and this totally alien and non dimensional region of  physics. Speficially, I can imagine that our 4D world with space time, is at odds with this "abyss", and more importantly that our understanding of 'causation' in physics can't possibly be a thing anymore in a non dimensional "world", as if causation only then in this "abyss" could exists in small packets of spacetime, and then beyond planck scale, you would so to speak be fighting forces that just doesn't work in a linear space time, going forwards, or in theory, backwards with the proverbial "time reversal" in quantum mechanics, where there ultimately can be no local event occurring at all. Presumably this abyss would be best understood as some kind of weird macros scale of things, as if when attempting a parallel with how all the water and the waves in the ocean didn't just bounce around slowly off whatever shapes there are with bottom chasms and strong wind above, or even tidal forces, but that the water and waves then zipped and bounced around so quickly, and with patterns, that made it all an impossible feat to even observer or theorize when being a part of all of this, with humanity being as just a tiny speck of the universe after all. :) If there had to be a pattern to all of that, I guess I imagine there being non-local strands of energy passing throughout the universe, and creating local pockets of space time, like the inverse of the proverbial holed-swiss-cheese. This kind of inverted swiss cheese couldn't work in our 4D world, but maybe it could work below planck scale I am thinking. :)

More concretely perhaps, I am toying with the idea of it being possible to reverse what is known as the heat death of the universe, a idea of it being possible to reverse 'entropy', somehow that works on fragmented small scales, but nothing that would work coherently on a large scale, so as to maintain what is known as 'causality' in physics, but in fragments and only at small scales. Cue David Hume's ideas about causality in philosophy to create an important distinction re. the notion of 'causality'.

Now, so, imagining that there could be a near future with much less power hungry electronics, with the advent of exploiting favorable characteristics of plain or doped graphene, and then additional advances in physics, I also imagine that maybe, just maybe there could be a way to somehow, tap into energy from the vacuum of space, which as I naively imagine would basically tap into this world below planck scale, and maybe being something relating to gauge theory, so, heh ofc I try to follow lectures on gague theory as well. :D Admittedly I don't know much about physics, but I can imagine that 'gauge theory' would come to be an understanding of there being ways in both predicting physical measurements below planck scale from our side of it all in our 4D world, but also, to try exploit any theoretical instances of excess power, that otherwise would go to waste, a kind of energy that otherwise doesn't normally interact with the most familiar particles, and that maybe in this world below planck scale, I am thinking that maybe some virtual particles (or patterns if you will) could be deemed redundant, and superflous, and finally that there could be a way to tap into that type of energy, thus no longer having to rely on nuclear power, and maybe even more interesting, it (maybe) not being possible to create some damn bomb off of that again. Ofc, it is then tempting to be worried about advances in what is called anti-matter. Hm, I sort of have this naive idea of say, *somehow*, pulling energy out of a "system" having some kind of understanding of there being an "alternating current" in our universe that we could maybe tap into, like, eh in electronics, like pulling energy off an existing gauge field off a vacuum as I imagine it.

Hm, now that I think about it, maybe the future anti-matter would be this type of energy that I was thinking about. I am blissfully ignorant of any claims to scientific rigor here, and I don't care, haha. I used to ponder on the mystery of how the human brain might work, but eventually, the lack of details, made it unfun to speculate beyond a certain point, but at least I think of that in particular, as an important problem that ought not be trivialized by seemingly novel advances in neurosciences, which might be abused to sell an idea that basically could not have merit to it, given some philosophical insights into 'free will', 'morality' and 'knowledge' and language/linguistics & culture. Cue wisdom from post-modern philosophy about 'true knowledge' or rather, the impossibility of such.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:01:55 pm by Decoman »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 01:40:02 pm »
YIKES......

I actually understood some of that reply.

:o
Meh....

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:13:46 pm »
I wonder why their VERY lovely vacuum chamber has a hospital-style privacy curtain? For those intimate atomic force microscope probing moments?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:16:47 pm »
I wonder why their VERY lovely vacuum chamber has a hospital-style privacy curtain? For those intimate atomic force microscope probing moments?

When you try to measure quantum amount of current (say, fA~nA), you will see anything can screw up your day (say, photons, air flow, mechanical vibration, background radiation, etc.).
I did a test a while ago with my Keysight U1461A insulation meter which is capable of testing at 1100V with detection limit in the range of nanoamps. Just blowing some air can carry enough polarized air molecules to induce a fairly detectable current.
I can only imagine this to be much sensitive in a quantum level testing setup.

Dang that made me smile :-)
Thanks for that.
Meh....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf