Author Topic: Just lost a family member to Covid19  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Stray ElectronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Just lost a family member to Covid19
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:46:21 am »
   The wife of one of my in-laws just passed away this afternoon from covid19.  She was 70 years old and only became ill last Friday.  She had been keeping her 14 YO grand daughter while her mother worked and they think that she caught if from her even though she was asymptomatic.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Just lost a family member to Covid19
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 12:52:02 pm »
   The wife of one of my in-laws just passed away this afternoon from covid19.  She was 70 years old and only became ill last Friday.  She had been keeping her 14 YO grand daughter while her mother worked and they think that she caught if from her even though she was asymptomatic.

Condolences. 

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 01:06:36 pm »
Condolences.

We kept our children from their grandparents as soon as shit hit the fan and we strongarmed my sister-in-law to do the same. Now my sister-in-law, her kid and her husband all got it (probably came in from the daycare centre). Staying away from the grandparents may have saved their life.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Ian.M, I wanted a rude username

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:27:40 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 02:30:31 pm »
My condolences!

I have the awfull feeling this thread is going to be long.  :'(
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:50:08 pm »
Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, I knew this would happen to someone here at some stage. I hope everyone here is okay.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 03:45:02 pm »
My condolences.
Unfortunately we are still at the beginning.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 04:12:52 pm »
My condolences.

Here has soon has it start to hit Italy serious, we start to take precautions, like closing schools/day care centers, separating young from old people, forbid visitors in hospitals and retirement homes, we're at state of emergency for the next 15 days, that will make 1 month, many people here still belive that they can go out as they please, for taking walks on the beach, park etc, the police is making there best at trying to keep people at home, there is a un-explicit  rule that you must have an authorization to leave home for work, but since this is NOT mandatory, all the people have one, they are thinking at making mandatory for 1st need services like: medical people, fire department, garbage people, etc.

We've has of today midnight of 06/04:

Confirm - 12.442
Recover - 184
Deads - 345 (mostly over 60 years old, and the max. is over 80=> years old)
Suspects - 99.730

Here are today report - https://covid19.min-saude.pt/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/36_DGS_boletim_20200407_2.pdf

Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 04:59:14 pm »
My condolences.  Very sad to hear of any death.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 10:54:00 pm »

Staying away from the grandparents may have saved their life.

That's worth repeating.  Too many people around here use their parents as no-cost baby sitters. Most of them don't seem to know, or care, that that could easily costs their parents their lives in this situation.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 01:33:33 am »
My condolences too.

I often jokingly say that you should thoroughly boil all children before petting them, but there's a slim thread of truth to it. Kids, via schools and their friends, are often the vectors for the "bug that's going around" to do that going around. That's bad enough at normal times but add to that kids are innately less good at discipline about handwashing, and following other infection avoidance advice, then the little darlings are a double threat to the vulnerable at the moment. If, as Stray Electron has said, you're in the habit of getting the little darlings out of your hair by dumping them on granny/grandad perhaps it's a good idea to consider not doing that at the moment.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 02:01:02 am »
My condolences for your loss.

I am on the edge as two 70+ year-old relatives are hospitalized with Covid-19 and we are in touch twice daily, monitoring the progress of the disease. We live 8000km away in separate countries, thus there is not anything we can really do.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 02:59:15 am »
Sincere Condolences for the lady's passing and the partner's loss.

Many relatives, neighbors and friends here in their 80s and 90s are in perfect vintage health so far,

and the ones with serious long term issues, preferring to cash out ASAP before their memory and vital body parts go south badly and slowly,
as well as not wanting to be a further burden on families and the health system,
are wondering why this 'latest Corona thing' has let them down

FWIW and YMMV once you pass beyond 65 and have health issues, any exposure to extreme weather, injuries, depression/anxiety, infections, bad medication mix and heavy flu or bronchial issues,
can and will finish you off once and for all. And let's not forget those tiled kitchen slips and gardening/gutter cleaning ladder falls, to get the show on the road  :scared:

Sometimes elderly people with no issues, just keel over and pass on,
whilst others in the same age and build group that are always at the doctors getting a fix, just keep going,
till their day comes to go too
and VISE VERSA applies too

Corona is getting too much credit as compared with the other 'confirmed effect' modern maladies that have been contributing to speeding up aging peoples demise for decades 

More proof required to totally buy into this global panic flogging, not pages of statistics from questionable and conflicting sources,
backed by circus news media industry 'story' vendors, doing what they regularly do best..roll with anything that gets them attention and advertisers   ::)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:45:14 am by Electro Detective »

The following users thanked this post: blacksheeplogic

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 03:51:15 am »
Condolences!
 :(
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 10:56:29 am »
My condolences too.

I often jokingly say that you should thoroughly boil all children before petting them, but there's a slim thread of truth to it. Kids, via schools and their friends, are often the vectors for the "bug that's going around" to do that going around. That's bad enough at normal times but add to that kids are innately less good at discipline about handwashing, and following other infection avoidance advice, then the little darlings are a double threat to the vulnerable at the moment. If, as Stray Electron has said, you're in the habit of getting the little darlings out of your hair by dumping them on granny/grandad perhaps it's a good idea to consider not doing that at the moment.
Yes that's true. I'm quite concerned about my 5 year old nephew picking his nose and eating it. I hope my sister manages to nip it in the bud soon.

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 01:55:04 pm »
My condolences.

Yes that's true. I'm quite concerned about my 5 year old nephew picking his nose and eating it. I hope my sister manages to nip it in the bud soon.

From a virological standpoint that really doesn't matter as you also have a mucous membrane inside your nose and the acid in the stomach will probably kill the virus anyway...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 02:04:50 pm »
My condolences.

From a virological standpoint that really doesn't matter as you also have a mucous membrane inside your nose and the acid in the stomach will probably kill the virus anyway...

I was thinking the same. Disgusting, but better that he eats it instead of leaving it laying around to possibly infect others.

Children really are filthy little animals. I know, I was one once.  But this time around, the BIG problem is that they usually don't get sick or even show any sign of being infected so they readily spread the virus, but the virus is deadly to the over 60 YO age group.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 02:16:44 pm »
But this time around, the BIG problem is that they usually don't get sick or even show any sign of being infected so they readily spread the virus, but the virus is deadly to the over 60 YO age group.

It's a problem in general. Anyone who's had to deal with illness in children will tell you that the robust health of youth means that they can mask the symptoms for a long time and then go downhill rapidly. You or I might think "I'm a bit off today" or "I think I'm getting ready to come down with something" a day or two before we get properly ill; a 2 year old is far too busy charging around and destroying your house to notice that they feel "a bit off". Sure, the level of mayhem and destruction might be at a slightly lower level, but you take that as a blesséd relief, not the sign of impending illness.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 02:37:09 pm »
My condolences.

I was thinking the same. Disgusting, but better that he eats it instead of leaving it laying around to possibly infect others.

Children really are filthy little animals. I know, I was one once.  But this time around, the BIG problem is that they usually don't get sick or even show any sign of being infected so they readily spread the virus, but the virus is deadly to the over 60 YO age group.
You're right about the stomach acid deactivating the virus, but that wasn't my worry. The problem is him putting his dirty fingers up his nose and in his mouth will increase the chances of him picking up viruses, as well as spreading them to others, who come into contact with objects he's touched, with his saliva and mucus coated fingers.

Unfortunately my sister, the children and her husband have recently moved in with his parents, who are >60 and aren't in the best of shape so I do worry about them.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 06:18:44 pm »
Terrible news, my condolences. 
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 06:52:57 pm »
Sad to hear, condolences. Neighbour upstairs has a lot of family in Spain, Italy and Guatemala ( go figure, she speaks 8 languages with good fluency, and another 3 or 4 at least well enough to get by) and has had 3 die so far, and another half dozen or so ill with it. But thankfully it seems to be missing immediate family by me, and also the neighbours, even with the high number of doctors living in the same building (3 out of 20) who are still essential services workers.

Offline DysonDepplbom

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 03:48:14 pm »
Sorry for your loss. Hope we all learn from your story.

I'm worried about the possible spread on Thanksgiving which is coming up soon. Grandparents want kids over for egg hunt. I'm sure other families will be in same dilemma.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 12:04:00 am »
My Condolences.

Online Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2020, 01:28:45 am »
My condolences to you and your family.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 08:17:53 am »

My condolonces.

Be alert to how the granddaughter might feel, in terms of guilt etc, which can be corrosive over time. Don't presume any such emotions will appear instantly; my daughter had a habit of suddenly talking about feelings that had been briefly mentioned weeks earlier.

I have a 98yo mother. I have made it a point to tell people in advance that they should not feel any guilt if she catches covid-19 and dies. I specifically point out that she could catch it from anybody, so they might not be the cause.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf