Author Topic: Kirchhoff's Loop Rule Is For The Birds  (Read 9672 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Kirchhoff's Loop Rule Is For The Birds
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 11:12:36 pm »
Would the demo be less baffling if Dr. Lewis had stated that he just showed a single-turn transformer with and an oscilloscope measuring the induced voltage across a loop including the measurement leads, and that Kirchhoff's loop rule may not apply to circuits with transformers, couped inductances and transmission lines?
I doubt that. If you look at the circuit at a point frozen in time then the currents should still add up to zero (time domain analysis). The caveat is that the induced current is a source which should be included in the circuit if you want to model it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Kirchhoff's Loop Rule Is For The Birds
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:06 pm »
Would the demo be less baffling if Dr. Lewis had stated that he just showed a single-turn transformer with and an oscilloscope measuring the induced voltage across a loop including the measurement leads, and that Kirchhoff's loop rule may not apply to circuits with transformers, couped inductances and transmission lines?
I doubt that. If you look at the circuit at a point frozen in time then the currents should still add up to zero (time domain analysis). The caveat is that the induced current is a source which should be included in the circuit if you want to model it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf