Author Topic: Know of any good books/sources of useful electronic schematics?  (Read 919 times)

Offline ballsystemlordTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello,
When looking up how people make this or that, I can't help but find that many of the schematics offered online are either not functional or poorly designed. It's not just me either. Some YT-ers make videos about fixing bad circuit designs you can find online.

Towards the end of getting a set of good/workable circuit schematics, I searched for books on the subject. I found some, but they're all from the late 1960s though the 1970s. This means that a lot of things can/have been converted into ICs or improved through the use of alternate tech, such as IGBTs/MOSFETs. So such books are a bit dated.

Do you know of good books or resources for circuit schematics?

Thanks!

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
Re: Know of any good books/sources of useful electronic schematics?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 04:27:24 pm »
 useful electronic schematics?

That's too general. Discrete? Integrated? Analog? Digital? Power? Control? Audio? ... There are thousands of fields and millions of designs.

For example, flyback PSU is a big field all by itself.

And those outdated books... I have a few of them and still have found useful ideas like this which is about 50 years old:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/scr-power-control-for-electric-blanket/msg5170533/
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline MarginallyStable

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 05:24:00 pm »

The Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits. I have volumes 1 - 6. Not sure what you really mean by "useful", But I browse these for ideas from time to time. Many schematics to not come with much information, but I find that part of the fun.

Online selcuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 08:03:12 pm »
You can consider magazines as well. This one has lots of circuits throughout the years. And it is fun to read.

https://www.elektor.com/products/elektor-archive-1974-2023-usb-stick-en

The following users thanked this post: ballsystemlord

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 08:58:44 pm »

Look for John  Markus' books.

But schematics on their own are useless. You also need a description of their performance and limitations.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 09:13:24 pm »
Another magazine online:

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/UK/Hobby-Electronics/
if you go to the home page https://www.worldradiohistory.com/index.htm you can find hundreds of other useful  magazine and books

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 09:24:03 pm »
If you're in the "beginner/intermediate" stage, Don Lancaster's "Cookbooks" are a good place to go.
They are free online:
https://www.tinaja.com/ebksamp1.shtml

The following users thanked this post: harerod, ballsystemlord

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 09:41:01 pm »
Any ARRL Handbook. Though they are focus more on radio circuits, there is lots of stuff in them on test and measurement, power supplies and other generic stuff.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 10:11:29 pm »
Hello,
When looking up how people make this or that, I can't help but find that many of the schematics offered online are either not functional or poorly designed. It's not just me either. Some YT-ers make videos about fixing bad circuit designs you can find online.

Towards the end of getting a set of good/workable circuit schematics, I searched for books on the subject. I found some, but they're all from the late 1960s though the 1970s. This means that a lot of things can/have been converted into ICs or improved through the use of alternate tech, such as IGBTs/MOSFETs. So such books are a bit dated.

Elektor had and may still have a wide range of books with all kinds of circuits. These could be a good start as these are from the 90's or even later.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2024, 04:12:51 am »
useful electronic schematics?

That's too general. Discrete? Integrated? Analog? Digital? Power? Control? Audio? ... There are thousands of fields and millions of designs.

For example, flyback PSU is a big field all by itself.
Flybacks are a big field? Seriously? That's amazing.
I'm looking for beginner/intermediate books. Things beyond driving leds but not as sophisticated as building 9.5 digit DMM. But feel free to point out more awesome advanced stuff at your leisure. I can always refer back here later.

And those outdated books... I have a few of them and still have found useful ideas like this which is about 50 years old:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/scr-power-control-for-electric-blanket/msg5170533/
That's good to know.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2024, 04:16:13 am »
You can consider magazines as well. This one has lots of circuits throughout the years. And it is fun to read.

$125 USD + shipping from EU->US is quite a bit to spend on some magazines. I think I'll pass.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 04:54:03 am »
After a few years of electronics, I pretty much developed an "intuition" as to what designs are good and not good. I have a hard time explaining it, I suppose it's like having a "circuit simulator" of sorts in my mind.
Flybacks are a big field? Seriously? That's amazing.
It was the first switching power supply ever invented, used to ignite air fuel mixtures in internal combustion engines. A lot of modern cars still use flyback converters for ignition although I don't know what percentage, some manufacturers like Hyundai switched to a forward converter design as it allows a higher ignition energy for better MPG.

Nowadays, they're commonly used anywhere a small isolated converter is needed. Quite cheap to make as they're quite simple.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online selcuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 07:18:27 am »

$125 USD + shipping from EU->US is quite a bit to spend on some magazines. I think I'll pass.

$125 is also expensive for me. I read many issues on my school library. I don't know whether that is an option for you.

By the way, its is about 550 magazines and that makes about 20 cents per issue. I cannot say that it is not fair.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 09:28:28 am »

I'm not so sure whether this is a good buy especially where it comes to the magazines published before 1990. A lot will be outdated. Also, many projects published in the magazines come without a circuit board layout. You'd need to order the boards but likely many of the older boards are not longer avaible. The same goes for projects with a microcontroller or programmable logic. You'd have to order the pre-programmed chip from Elektor. For me this was the reason to cancel my subscription in the late 90's. I wanted to tinker with the code myself; not get some kind of black box.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 09:31:50 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf