Author Topic: Lab in a box, tool storage  (Read 1502 times)

Offline galvanixTopic starter

• Contributor
Lab in a box, tool storage
« on: April 22, 2021, 08:42:29 am »
As a fairly recent graduate I will be moving around a bit in the coming years so I'm looking for a good, portable storage solution for my electronics tools.

Currently I'm thinking of using an off the shelf tool box and filling it up with my hand tools (screw drivers, calipers, handheld DMM etc.).

I don't really have a solution for the other stuff like soldering station, oscilloscope, components etc.

I know of tool trolleys but they're not only expensive but also heavy as hell (20+ kg  when empty) and become a real pain/impossible to move, especially in a building without an elevator.

Any ideas how to deal with the bigger stuff?
My current moving solution is the venerable old banana crate, which is good for moving but not so great for storage.
Ideally I would like to be able to break down the lab and just put it in a corner when I'm done with it. I don't want to go back to an electronics lab with a bed in it like at uni  :palm: .

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Lab in a box, tool storage
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:08:48 am »
Check out the transit boxes/cases used by musicians. These are guys who have to move heavy bulky kit every day. Not cheap, but they are tough, have wheels and, will last a lifetime.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:15:35 am »
You might look into what in the US are called "rolling tool boxes":

1213688-0

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 09:18:31 am »
Defo'  :-+

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 09:19:57 am »
Oscilloscopes don't have to be big, my VDS1022 USB scope is palm sized pretty much and i carry it everywhere.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 05:44:26 pm »
Some of the rolling tool boxes as ledtester mentioned can be good.  A lot of the big power tool manufacturers now sell interlocking toolboxes that come in a range of sizes that can be latched together for storage/transport.  Some include drawers or removable divider bins that can be accessed from the middle of a stack.  Many of these systems include rolling carts or dollies they can be latched to when you need to move a bunch at once.  They're not particularly cheap, but generally good quality and you can add more units to the system as your needs grow/change.  I think Fesstool has to most extensive system like this, but also the most expensive.  Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, and DeWalt have lines of these boxes as well but I'm not sure how extensive their options are. 

For a few years I've used a toolbox much like this for when I need to go do electronics work somewhere, it's not going to hold a full lab, but I've fit soldering/hot air equipment, DMM, and all the hand tools I need plus additional bits of wire, connectors, components, heatshrink, multi-extension cord, etc.  The drawers make it easy to find what you need without digging into the depths of a box or needing to take up a ton of space where you're working.  https://www.newark.com/duratool/22-17845/23-tool-box-with-three-slide-drawers/dp/95W1698

If I needed more capacity than that I would probably look for something like this specifically: https://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Toolbox-Rolling-Organizer-Telescopic/dp/B00WMLYFAQ/

The following users thanked this post: mindcrime

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 12:02:01 pm »
I use a couple of tool bags which have lots of pockets.

Oscilloscopes don't have to be big, my VDS1022 USB scope is palm sized pretty much and i carry it everywhere.

But how do you crush zombies with such a small oscilloscope?  Would you use it on mouse zombies?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:03:35 pm by David Hess »

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 02:34:58 pm »

But how do you crush zombies with such a small oscilloscope?  Would you use it on mouse zombies?
It's enough to squash the occasional bug  ;)
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 03:06:46 pm »
Check out the transit boxes/cases used by musicians. These are guys who have to move heavy bulky kit every day. Not cheap, but they are tough, have wheels and, will last a lifetime.

Speaking as one of those touring crew types, we prefer Pelican/Storm-type cases for most things sized like test equipment and tools. Amps and cabinets as well as drive racks are still the big Calzone-type cases.

(For those asking "huh?" Calzone is a brand name for the heavy wood tour racks and cases. In addition to being a yummy rolled-up pizza-type treat.)

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 05:59:02 pm »
galvanix wrote:  "
Currently I'm thinking of using an off the shelf tool box and filling it up with my hand tools (screw drivers, calipers, handheld DMM etc.)"
------------------------------------------

Fair warning, if you hang around this list - you may start with this:

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 06:00:23 pm »
And before you know it, you need this:

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 12:18:51 am »
I recommend getting a Zarges box (and adding some sort of storage solution). Extremely sturdy aluminum boxes that can take a beating, have locks and are stackable. They are effing expensive (about 400 bucks for a decently sized box), but they'll last decades. You can find cheaper clones of those boxes, but they aren't nearly as durable.

https://www.zarges.com/en/products/packaging-transportation

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 05:00:13 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I recommend getting a Zarges box [...] They are effing expensive

Wow no kidding 130 Euros for a big lunch box :o

Those boxes are more expensive than the equipment I'd be putting into them.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 06:11:15 pm »

+1 for this general category. If you want to look locally in Germany, "Werkzeugtrolley" seems to be the search term of choice.

One general word of advice: Resist the urge to make some clever box which is perfectly tailored to your current complement of tools and measurement equipment. The tool collection will change and grow much faster than you think. ;-)  Better go for something less elegant and clever, but adaptable and slightly oversized at the beginning.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 06:23:46 pm »

+1 for this general category. If you want to look locally in Germany, "Werkzeugtrolley" seems to be the search term of choice.

While I agree that those look pretty cool, any halfway decent one, i.e. not flimsy ones that break after the first time being carted across the sidewalk, are heavy as hell even empty (20+ kg).

The wheels on those things also seem to be the biggest weak point, often being cheap plastic that breaks very quickly defeating the whole purpose of a tool trolley.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf