Author Topic: Australian NBN out of DOCSIS NTDs: restock guessing game  (Read 4579 times)

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
Re: Australian NBN out of DOCSIS NTDs: restock guessing game
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 07:38:51 pm »
About 3 years ago BT applied for planning permission to install a fill-in cabinet local to us. It got refused, because they didn't supply the SSSI paperwork needed. They didn't bother to re-apply, it seems they went straight to FTTP. It looks like they are only considering new cabinets where they can use G.FAST

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 07:43:15 pm »
About 3 years ago BT applied for planning permission to install a fill-in cabinet local to us. It got refused, because they didn't supply the SSSI paperwork needed. They didn't bother to re-apply, it seems they went straight to FTTP. It looks like they are only considering new cabinets where they can use G.FAST

They're not deploying G.9700/1 at all presently anyway, because it's a waste of time.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2021, 07:51:29 pm »
I get the impression Openreach's plans have been changing very rapidly recently - working from home has really highlighted the importance of good internet connection, making the take-up figures much higher

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 07:55:34 pm »
I get the impression Openreach's plans have been changing very rapidly recently - working from home has really highlighted the importance of good internet connection, making the take-up figures much higher

Except they're also not commissioning new installations (to save themselves money) with the excuse of not going into peoples homes.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2021, 12:12:33 pm »
Here in Western-Australia, my NBN has been in service for about 3 or 4 years now. Unless there are new
residential/commercial areas being set up, it is all just Fibre-To-The-Node here, and in our case, about 300m
of original copper to the house. The service is 'throttled' though, depending on how much you want to pay!  >:(
We are paying $69 (Aust) per month for 20-mbits! However, that's all we need, even with multiple video streaming!  :)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 12:21:09 pm »

The local estate is being upgraded to FTTP over the next few years.  15Mbit/s upload rate makes WFH painful at times!

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 02:30:05 pm »
The local estate is being upgraded to FTTP over the next few years.  15Mbit/s upload rate makes WFH painful at times!
A friend recently looked at a house on a new estate in Leeds. They rejected it, because its brand new wiring is only carrying internet at 1-3Mbps. I guess its not a big enough estate to get its own infrastructure, and has to piggy back on the surrounding area. However, 1-3Mbps for a new build in a city in 2021 is just sad. New builds in green field locations are still getting nothing more than a copper pair, and a distance great enough to limit that pair to 1-3Mbps, but its just messed up for this to be happening in a city location.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 05:10:18 pm »
In those cases the telco has two options. The first is to feed new homes via unused DSL ports in an already installed DSLAM/MSAN/BNG, while the longer cable runs limit the throughput. The other option is to install a new local box with DSLAM/MSAN/BNG plus laying backhaul fiber which is more expensive, but allows maximum throughput. It's not hard to guess which option most telcos prefer.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 05:04:18 pm »
I pay $150 a month for 40/4 mbit plus tv.

Internet is also priced fairly competitively. I pay just over $100/month for a 100/40 Mbit connection (the fastest I can get on my technology) with unlimited data and a static public IPv4 address.
I pay $25/mo for 500 Mbit (530/530 in practice) and have it for about 9 years, though at beginning price was somewhat higher for 500 Mbit tier. Also I could pay less if switched provider. In some countries people get the same speed for less than half of that. Starlink soon will offer better internet in rural areas than your fixed connection.
Our cellular wireless is first class and speed/coverage is beyond anything you find in other developed countries.
I've seen that. And it makes even more obvious how NBN is fucked up. It's a world famous failure FFS.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 06:41:28 pm »
Internet is also priced fairly competitively. I pay just over $100/month for a 100/40 Mbit connection (the fastest I can get on my technology) with unlimited data and a static public IPv4 address.
I pay $25/mo for 500 Mbit (530/530 in practice) and have it for about 9 years, though at beginning price was somewhat higher for 500 Mbit tier. Also I could pay less if switched provider. In some countries people get the same speed for less than half of that. Starlink soon will offer better internet in rural areas than your fixed connection.
Our cellular wireless is first class and speed/coverage is beyond anything you find in other developed countries.
I've seen that. And it makes even more obvious how NBN is fucked up. It's a world famous failure FFS.

5G and Starlink are a huge threat to the NBN. I think their fibre rollout is too little too late for many people.

The only thing that keeps me on the NBN at the moment is the lack of CG-NAT and a static IP address, which I need.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 08:13:49 pm »
A friend has just bought a house in York (UK), with a 1G fibre UFO (this was the pilot fibre to the home scheme in York) termination box in the lounge that needs activating. If I go to sites like Compare The Market, and give their address, all the options offered are below 60Mbps, so they appear to be the OpenReach fibre to the kerb type offerings, which the house doesn't have. If I go to TalkTalk's web site and enter the same address the only thing they offer is 1Gbps up ad down service for 27.50 pounds a month. Isn't UK broadband wonderful? Its usually a huge pain trying to find what services you can get at any address before you actually try signing up.Most information sources are utter garbage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf