Author Topic: Lamp  (Read 1959 times)

Offline bob91343Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Lamp
« on: January 25, 2022, 05:14:26 am »
If this is too far off topic, I apologize.

I have a lamp for a music stand and the bulb burned out.  It's a tubular bulb and I suspect 40 or 60 W.  There are no markings anywhere so I wonder if there are detailed pictures showing filament support construction to enable learning the rating of the bulb.  It's for 120V and uses standard medium Edison base.

Online andy3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 05:47:55 am »

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 06:11:59 am »
Usually the lamp itself has a maximum wattage rating. Put in whatever bulb you want for brightness, up to the max wattage of the lamp.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:18:42 pm »
Kim, that makes sense.  But only if I have an idea of how much light I would get from the different lamps.  The color is usually different as well.

Looking at the Lowe's site, the envelope looks just like the 40W unit but the filament support is very different.  I am guessing 60W.  But these are not cheap.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 07:25:36 pm »
A traditional tungsten 120V 60 watt bulb is about 800 lumens, about 400 for a 40 watt. The extra warm "vintage" bulbs are extra inefficient.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 12:49:20 am »
The 230V lamps would necessarily have a different filament construction, even at the same power.  I am trying to guess the rating of the burned out lamp by matching the filament support style.  So far I have not found a similar lamp.

The one I have has no marking I can find, neither type number nor maker, nor rating.  The base is white, not yellow.  It did have a 'warm' glow.

There is a little glass stub near the base.  The leads go through it and are actually the filament support.  One support is a small hook.  The other is a long wire that goes the length of the lamp, curves over, and has the filament attached to it.  In addition it has another wire that is sort of V shaped that braces the long wire against the glass.  The filament is broken near the short support.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 12:53:27 am »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 12:56:55 am »
Those are interesting but expensive.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 01:08:23 am »

also likely to last much longer that a regular bulb
else:

https://youtu.be/AkL72XVtKew
https://youtu.be/_0Tju5M-8yU

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 01:10:28 am »
There is a little glass stub near the base.  The leads go through it and are actually the filament support.  One support is a small hook.  The other is a long wire that goes the length of the lamp, curves over, and has the filament attached to it.  In addition it has another wire that is sort of V shaped that braces the long wire against the glass.  The filament is broken near the short support.

I'm afraid that it'll be virtually impossible to determine the wattage this way. Posting a picture here might improve your odds by 1% or so.

Do you have really good eyesight? You may just not be able to see the markings on the metal screw base. Sometime the spec is very lightly stamped or inscribed on there and it can be difficult to see without your eye and light source being at the perfect angles.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 01:14:02 am »
Kim, I have tried that with a powerful magnifier and various light sources.  No trace of any marking.

As for the longevity of the replacement lamp, it's a joke because I am 89 years old and don't expect to outlast almost any kind of lamp.

I do have one hope.  When I bought the lamp, I bought several.  Most, I know, have replacement bulbs that don't really fit.  But I will take another look to see if one of the old lamps still has a tubular bulb in it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 01:27:12 am »
Problem solved!  Sort of.  I found another lamp of a slightly different style that contained a tubular bulb.  That bulb is frosted and marked 120V 40W Made in China on the brass base.  So not only do I know what lamp I need, but I already have one.

In any case, this was a fun thread - and relatively inconsequential.  Thanks to all who participated.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 01:55:45 am »
40W is a  bit on the bright side for a music stand,25W is the normal over here.For example https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_12290_bulb.htm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 03:58:03 am »
I think that bulb in the link has the wrong base.  I never liked 25W lamps due to the yellowish color.  Plus, I only deal with musicians that are so old, extra light is welcome.

It's really immaterial since my repurpose of the lamp is to provide much needed light on my ham radio desk.  My big swing band has been history for quite a while, although I still have the music.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 08:38:10 am »
Kim, I have tried that with a powerful magnifier and various light sources.  No trace of any marking.

As for the longevity of the replacement lamp, it's a joke because I am 89 years old and don't expect to outlast almost any kind of lamp.
LED lamps use less power and typically pay for themselves in electricity saved, over a period of 5 years. I hope you enjoy your 94th birthday.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, bob91343

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 10:47:05 am »

LED lamps use less power and typically pay for themselves in electricity saved, over a period of 5 years. I hope you enjoy your 94th birthday.

He could spend the time walking toward the light.  :)

Oh, that's dark. I apologise.
iratus parum formica

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 02:17:38 pm »

What is your time worth???  The very first one is only $5!  They add shipping, but that's why I don't use Amazon much.  You should be able to buy these locally.

Be sure to pick a low color temperature bulb.  I don't think you will like the white ones for reading music.  Many people don't understand color temperature and think the white ones are brighter rather than just more harsh.  2700K is a good value.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 02:29:28 pm »

I have a 95 year old friend.  When he was 93 he was talking about his expectations and I looked it up, the average was only another three years.  Well, that didn't cheer him up.  But then I realized since he has no real illnesses, takes no medicine other than glaucoma drops and is still mobile, he is nowhere near average.  So he will probably live beyond 100! 

More on topic, he drives me nuts sometimes with the way he insists on scavenging through his light bulb collection when he needs to replace a bulb.  I have to unpack the entire box and describe every bulb and pack them away again.  Oh, did I mention he lost sight in both eyes some five years ago?  Yet he stays up somehow.  He is in a great retirement community and his positive outlook gets huge positive reflections from the staff and neighbors.  He has taught me a thing or two. 

BTW, he used to design pumps, the kind you could stick your head in the discharge chute.  He showed me a diagram of the nuclear plant he used to work in and taught me a couple of things I didn't know about pump design.  He also is a militaria collector and has some very nice pieces.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 06:02:07 pm »
Well gnuarm I didn't expect this to turn into an exchange about gerontology.  Yes I am 89 and still do everything.  I play my jazz and lift weights and work in my electronics lab and drive, including trips.  I can see as well as ever.  My hearing isn't so great, even with aids.  But muscles and all the rest are okay.  I take 4 pills a day, including a vitamin.

I haven't had the need to use this lamp to read music, as most of my playing is improvised.  There are exceptions.

In any case, I am satisfied with the lamp situation.  I found a CCFL that almost fits the housing so I am going with that for now.  I still have the tubular bulb I can scavenge from one of the spare lamps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf