Author Topic: Landing a A380 on an aircraft carrier  (Read 11324 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Landing a A380 on an aircraft carrier
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:33:00 pm »
For fun

any plane simulator fans here ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
Re: Landing a A380 on an aircraft carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:08:12 pm »

Saw that the other day.

Here is a real flight that's pretty cool. I believe these are for sale.

MIG 29 to 15000 m / 52000 ft +

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:07:47 am »

Yep, I almost went on one way back in the early 90's, it was about US$10k
One of the things I regret not going through with  :(

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 01:24:35 am »

Even a passenger airliner can go up to FL450 (747 and 787, FL430 for 777 and 767).
Though not recommended, there are people managed to do rollovers and other stunts with a 747.

A barrel roll was done with the 707 demonstrator. It was done to impress potential customers. In all fairness the roll was done with positive G; the 707 didn't knew it was inverted. But the Captain was told to never do that ever again.

Somebody rolled a 747 intentionally? 

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:48:56 am »
A barrel roll was done with the 707 demonstrator. It was done to impress potential customers. In all fairness the roll was done with positive G; the 707 didn't knew it was inverted. But the Captain was told to never do that ever again.

Somebody rolled a 747 intentionally?

Yes, I didn't remember who, but it was a FedEX cargo 747 (or similar HUGE jet), captain managed to quite a few maneuvers to use the plane as weapon to deter a hijacker (another on board FedEx employee).

I read the book, the title is "Hijacked".

The aircraft was a DC-10 (three engines). I am not sure that the pilot intentionally rolled the aircraft. At some point, both pilots and the Flight Engineer were fighting with the hijacker in the back of the aircraft; nobody was at the control, the autopilot was disconnected.

The captain was able to regain control of the aircraft and bring the aircraft on the ground, but at that point the aircraft was bent and could not be flown anymore.

If I remember correctly, due to the injuries following the attack, both pilot and the Flight Enginner lost their medical certificate and never flew again. They received a gold medal for heroism though.

The hijacker was another Fedex pilot who was about to loose his job.

A crazy story  :o

Offline strangersound

• Regular Contributor
  • Resistance Is Not Futile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:23 am »

Saw that the other day.

Cool video.  :-+

Sidenote: Goes to watch video, gets distracted by round vs flat Earth debates. Holy cow.  :palm:  :bullshit:

I'm not sure what troubles me more, the flat Earth crowd or all the people who used the video to call them out. I left this comment even though I really didn't care to get into it. I'm not sure if it will do any good...the flat Earth crowd will just take the video I posted and run with it to fuel their nonsense (Go figure...the video of the weather balloon footage has comments disabled...I can only hazard a guess why.) But the people who were calling them out are obviously just as ignorant, just a different type.  |O  |O

"I'm not a flat earther, but the comments calling them out are just as ignorant. What you are seeing in these images are the effects of a wide angle lens and/or lens distortion. Images from the ISS (249 miles up) show less curvature than what you see here. The altitude reached in this flight is about 7.5 miles. That's not very high up in the big scheme of things. You can watch a video from a weather balloon at 22 miles up and see no obvious curvature, due to the lack of spherical lens aberrations. (watch?v=tvhFbvY_99o)
This isn't offered as proof that the Earth is flat, it's to demonstrate that when trying to discount ignorance, be careful you don't end up looking ignorant yourself.?"

"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." - Hunter S. Thompson

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:07:22 am »

I used to spend a lot of time in FlightGear, and before that TRI Fly & FlyII, MSFS all the way back to DOS days, although my interests were never heavy iron - low, slow, stick and rudder, STOL and rotary wing was my thing.

I'm not sure I'd call GTA an aircraft simulator though... I kinda suspect the physics are somewhat lacking :-/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:09:32 am by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 02:11:53 am »
The captain was able to regain control of the aircraft and bring the aircraft on the ground, but at that point the aircraft was bent and could not be flown anymore.

N306FE last took off just 50 minutes ago and should land at Memphis in an hour.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 02:19:10 am »
"I'm not a flat earther, but the comments calling them out are just as ignorant. What you are seeing in these images are the effects of a wide angle lens and/or lens distortion. Images from the ISS (249 miles up) show less curvature than what you see here. The altitude reached in this flight is about 7.5 miles. That's not very high up in the big scheme of things. You can watch a video from a weather balloon at 22 miles up and see no obvious curvature, due to the lack of spherical lens aberrations. (watch?v=tvhFbvY_99o)
This isn't offered as proof that the Earth is flat, it's to demonstrate that when trying to discount ignorance, be careful you don't end up looking ignorant yourself.?"

:-+

I, too, am amazed at how vehement some people are about photographic 'evidence' without having some basic knowledge.

One pedantic point - in my understanding, spherical aberration is more a 'deviation from the ideal' in lenses.  It isn't really a factor in the observable curvature of an image.  That just comes from the physics of short focal length lenses.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 02:22:03 am »

I used to spend a lot of time in FlightGear, and before that TRI Fly & FlyII, MSFS all the way back to DOS days, although my interests were never heavy iron - low, slow, stick and rudder, STOL and rotary wing was my thing.

I'm not sure I'd call GTA an aircraft simulator though... I kinda suspect the physics are somewhat lacking :-/

Yes.  The deceleration on the deck of the carrier was just plain wrong.

It's not as if the aircraft had a hook it could snag on one of the arresting wires.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:45 am »

Alright alright. The DC-10, if it is the same, must have received heavy repairs. From the book, the horizontal stabilizer was visibly bent and fuel was leaking from the wings, among other things.

Anything can be repaired if you throw enough money at it.

:)

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 02:26:37 am »

It's not as if the aircraft had a hook it could snag on one of the arresting wires.

Maybe the wind was blowing at 125 knots  ;)

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 02:28:40 am »
In the 60's, a C-130 Hercules did land (and took off) from an aircraft carrier

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 02:29:18 am »

Alright alright. The DC-10, if it is the same, must have received heavy repairs. From the book, the horizontal stabilizer was visibly bent and fuel was leaking from the wings, among other things.

I don't know how accurate the book is, but yes, the aircraft suffered a great deal of damage. FedEx claimed over $800,000 in property damage. Tough old birds, those DC-10s. Rocky start, but they didn't half come good.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 02:29:39 am »

If it was retired from service, it would have likely been from a combination of 'Not economically repairable' and not knowing what had been damaged.  Such a major strain on the airframe could have dozens of imperceptible effects that could lead to catastrophic failure - and in flight, you can't just pull over to the side of the road.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 02:32:24 am »

If it was retired from service, it would have likely been from a combination of 'Not economically repairable' and not knowing what had been damaged.  Such a major strain on the airframe could have dozens of imperceptible effects that could lead to catastrophic failure - and in flight, you can't just pull over to the side of the road.

It was, however, not retired! Literally flying right now, just coming up to Hoover, Alabama.

Remarkable, really, planes have been retired for a lot less than flying inverted with a load and going transsonic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 02:35:46 am »

Maybe the wind was blowing at 125 knots  ;)

Make it 150 knots - and then maybe we could try some VTOL exercises!

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 02:40:43 am »
- and in flight, you can't just pull over to the side of the road.

About 10 years ago, two pilots from Pinnacle Airlines tried an unauthorized, and improperly performed, stunt with a CRJ-200. It was a ferry flight, they climbed to 41,000 feet (FL410) without following the proper procedures. They seized both engines. They didn't declare an emergency until it was too late. They tried to put it down on a road. It didn't work out for them.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 04:30:59 am »
Holy shit some people are stupid.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 04:33:51 am »
About 10 years ago, two pilots from Pinnacle Airlines tried an unauthorized, and improperly performed, stunt with a CRJ-200. It was a ferry flight, they climbed to 41,000 feet (FL410) without following the proper procedures. They seized both engines. They didn't declare an emergency until it was too late. They tried to put it down on a road. It didn't work out for them.
The pilots made the Darwin list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Airlines_Flight_3701

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 05:49:49 am »

Yep, I almost went on one way back in the early 90's, it was about US$10k
One of the things I regret not going through with  :(

Not quite the same thing, but try flying paramotor with an instructor, orders of magnitude cheaper, and really fun

Offline MT

• Super Contributor

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 12:01:27 pm »
"round vs flat Earth debates."

I have been to 45 to 47kft and the earth curvature is noticeable to naked eyes.

Putting aside optical distortion (which is easy to detect), a wide angle lens can only exaggerates the curvature (which is what you observe in the edge of space videos) but it cannot create the curvature.

So yes, it is a valid evidence of round earth.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 12:04:19 pm »
"If it was not the exact condition with equally well trained crew, it could well be another 911."

Absolutely. The altitude at which the bird strike took place was highly unusual. And the water procedure wasn't followed properly. If were not for the quick evacuation and rescue, there likely would have been loss of life that day.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf