Author Topic: laser/optical/fiber design subforum?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline CopperConeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
laser/optical/fiber design subforum?
« on: June 03, 2018, 09:16:13 pm »
So the RF forum has seen success in my opinion since it was made. I see that laser and optics related threads are sometimes floating into the RF forum.

I thought that a laser and optics subforum could lead to interesting discussion and enhanced interest.

Most of the equipment required to work with optics, other then the drivers, is pretty unique, and so is the test equipment.

Furthermore, laser power supplies are often built very different to lab power supplies.

I thought that such a subforum could lead to a consolidation of information about incorporation of lasers into projects and can lead to overall ease of learning.

I find the information bridging laser to electronics to be sub par on other websites.

I am not sure how this would branch into things like communications engineering, there seems to be alot of protocol related stuff in the RF forum relating to modulation methods, decoding, etc, (bordering the digital domain) so I think the laser forum could operate in the same manner.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:18:57 pm by CopperCone »

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
Re: laser/optical/fiber design subforum?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:26:23 pm »
I support that. I'm particularly interested in (and quite ignorant of) fiber-based systems. I'm a lens and mirror person but would like to miniaturize my optical system. For the electronic link, discussions around different detectors would be useful. What I do is half optical and half electronic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:51:54 pm »
Yes there a few enhancements that still can be made to the forum layout but rather than adding more boards/forums, stuff like this can be added into existing boards with Child boards like exist in the PCB board.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eda/

There's a master page there and further boards that each hold topics of their own and then the further possibility of making them stickys.

IMO for optical, it could be placed into Electronics/Projects, Designs and Tech stuff in the form of a dedicated Optical stuff Child board where sticky can be added from topics as they evolve.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:14:49 am »
i think those child boards are where things go to die. its like a extremity with no blood flow IMO

being on the front page is kind of like a red carpet event with spot lights and stuff
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:16:48 am by CopperCone »

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 02:16:41 am »
I like this idea.

Offline David Chamberlain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 03:09:28 am »
I'll vote for that as well. I have a billion questions about optics, physics and related experimental setups and measurement gear but didn't think it appropriate to ask on an electronics forum for some reason.

Might have even prevented me from making a hash job of this - http://electroptics.blogspot.com/2017/

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:59 am »
I would also be happy to have such a forum. There's CPF, but even though they do a good bit of technical stuff there, I think an optics forum here would be better for the optical T&M side, as well as things like laser and lens design.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 11:11:09 am »
I strongly support a Laser, Optics and Fiber section!

That said, a robotics section would be freaking awesome too.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 07:25:01 am »
I like the idea, so long as it isnt too narrowly interpreted. Anything optical or optoelectronic (or optomechanical) even stuff like optotransistors etc.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:57:52 am »
Yes please

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf