Author Topic: LeCroy LT 224 and missing knob..  (Read 5685 times)

Offline ErikTheNorwegianTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
LeCroy LT 224 and missing knob..
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »
Hi,

i just bought a LeCroy LT 224 DSO,  and its missing one  knob.. (Zoom, Time/focus/volts..)
Does anybody know where one can be found?
Is this a Iwatsu built scope?

Any tip is greatly apreceated!

Erik

/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: LeCroy LT 224 and missing knob..
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:09 pm »
I think Dave has a few LeCroy knobs spare at the moment. He might be willing to part with one if you ask him..............

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 05:47:59 pm »
I think Dave has a few LeCroy knobs spare at the moment. He might be willing to part with one if you ask him..............

If he has, it would be great, i could also buy one of his uCurrent at the same time!
Just need that one knob!

/Erik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:13:33 pm »
Well, Dave's knobs was from an older scope, so its back to square one.

Anyone knows where to find any knows, new or old,..  :)
/Erik

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:14:17 pm »
Is this a Iwatsu built scope?

Yes, it is. LeCroy used to buy their low end (Literunner), lower midrange (Wavejet) and higher midrange (Waverunner) scopes from Iwatsu, the high end scopes however were built by them. These scopes were Made in Japan, as to compared to their high end models (Made in USA).

Today LeCroy buys their lowend scopes from Siglent (China) and (as far as I know) develops everything else in-house.

The fact that the Waverunner was built by Iwatsu and not LeCroy isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »
ah , yes another LeCroy ailment... knobs that fal off. even our Latest and Greatest 7Zi has that problem.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:50 am »
ah , yes another LeCroy ailment... knobs that fal off. even our Latest and Greatest 7Zi has that problem.

At least it's not the dying encoder problem as in the old LeCroy 93xx and 94xx series of scopes. This was a major pain in the butt.

At least the Iwatsu-made scopes like the Waverunner are actually pretty robust and durable (aside from the falling plastics knobs, and these can be easily replaced with others, better quality ones which look nice, too).

The worst part is that a Service Manual for the Waverunner seems to be unobtainium, even in pdf format. And one really wants that for this kind of scope.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:37:15 am »
if its me i'll buy a new 1GSps DSO unit and dont have to bother with the "missing knob" issue. but thats just me. my point actually is, why bother looking for supplier far away for a knob when you can build a DIY ore reliable undestructable knob? the picture you are showing, its an easy fix you just complicate thing :P but again, thats just me, appearance and aethetics is not my concern.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:48 am »
Well, if you're out of option, do it the hard way but with excellent result like our fellow forumer Conrad Hoffman, just look what he did, diy casting on HP 8640B RF sig-gen gears  :-+  -> http://conradhoffman.com/HP8640B_gears.htm

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 07:51:46 am »
I did that with the base for my mantis. These are unobtainium. Plenty a used mantis on ebay is sold without. I cloned one using rtv silicone , modded it and can now make mantis bases that are stronger than the original ( i use a metal flange and support stud that i cast into the polyurethane.

Anyway, back the knobes. These are standard d-type axles. Any d-type knob will work.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:38:43 am »
if its me i'll buy a new 1GSps DSO unit and dont have to bother with the "missing knob" issue.

Well, the thing is that the new 1GSps DSO you can get for the same price would be a two-channel low bandwith Hantek, Atten, Siglent or Owon with a tiny screen, has a good chance to come with a shared ADC hybrid where 1GSps is only usable with one or even only 'half' a channel, shoddy software (if there's anything at all), no proper LabView drivers, buggy firmware, simple triggers capabilities, and not even half of the advanced signal analysis capabilities of these LeCroy scopes.

And chances are good that the remaining life of a 13 year old Waverunner is longer than the average lifetime of most of these China scopes.

I think I'd rather deal with replacing a few standard D-type plastics knobs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:41:25 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf