Author Topic: LeftHanded or RightHanded ??  (Read 2499 times)

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
Re: LeftHanded or RightHanded ??
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 11:59:40 pm »
I heard this story years ago.  I have no idea whether or not it is true, but I would like to think it is.

A math professor stood in front of his calculus class and, as was his custom, started off by asking if there were any homework problems that the students had difficulties with.  One student blurted out a problem number.  The professor then asked if there were any others.  Another student yelled out a second problem number.

The professor calmly walked over to the blackboard, picked up a piece of chalk in his right hand, picked up another piece of chalk in left hand, and then proceeded to write the solutions to both problems side by side on the blackboard simultaneously!

There was apparently a bloke who lived near Melbourne who carry on two conversations simultaneously - one at 25 WPM Morse code with a fellow ham radio operator and the other as a normal verbal conversation with someone in the room.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 05:20:37 am »
I did used to have a science teacher who wrote 2 columns of text on the board at the same time with both hands. But he would fall back to left when he was drawing.

Offline yippy

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 08:15:36 am »
Leftie here, do everything with my left hand apart from using a mouse.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg, InductorbackEMF

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 02:06:42 pm »
I heard this story years ago.  I have no idea whether or not it is true, but I would like to think it is.

A math professor stood in front of his calculus class and, as was his custom, started off by asking if there were any homework problems that the students had difficulties with.  One student blurted out a problem number.  The professor then asked if there were any others.  Another student yelled out a second problem number.

The professor calmly walked over to the blackboard, picked up a piece of chalk in his right hand, picked up another piece of chalk in left hand, and then proceeded to write the solutions to both problems side by side on the blackboard simultaneously!

There was apparently a bloke who lived near Melbourne who carry on two conversations simultaneously - one at 25 WPM Morse code with a fellow ham radio operator and the other as a normal verbal conversation with someone in the room.

To both you guys, (and others!), that's amazing.  and 25 WPM Morse code? at the same time?  Wow...
I never learnt properly, and used to hear M/C at times on off-the-wall stations at between 3 & 8 times the speed!!  :o
So I wrote some software, (25 years ago & now lost!), to Translate the transmissions! (About 98% accuracy). Was fun.

However, it reminds me of my 'Missus' who basically 'Pisses-me-off' with her 'apparent' ability to speed-read!!!  >:(
She 'reads' multiple crappy 'Mills & Boon' novels each day. I watch her face scan down the L.H. page in about 8 secs,
gloss over the R.H. page in about 6 secs, and turn the page again... AARRGGHH!!!   :phew:
I tell her that 'reading' should be at a speed that you are reading it OUT LOUD, and that even if she 'glossed' over
key words, there's NO WAY she has caught the full 'Nuance' of each sentence/meaning/feelings etc. Arghhh...  :palm:
For many years now, NOTHING will convince me that/what she is actually reading!! But I still love her!! 
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 07:43:24 am »
Anyone can speed read each page of a Mills and Boon book, just like missing a few episodes of Days of Our Lives - you miss nothing. The speed readers fail badly when they have to read a datasheet or a maths textbook. It is important to read datasheets slowly and thoroughly.

My missus is similar - speed reads books much quicker than I. Mind you, I have read only one fiction book is 40 years because having to read Shakespeare's and other boring rubbish in high school put me off reading fiction for life.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf