Author Topic: Let's piss off the radical Linux guys  (Read 3959 times)

Offline ebclrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Let's piss off the radical Linux guys
« on: October 18, 2019, 07:07:09 pm »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline techman-001

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • Electronics technician for the last 50 years
    • Mecrisp Stellaris Unofficial UserDoc
Re: Let's piss off the radical Linux guys
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
Microsoft ... what would you like to assassinate today ?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 01:18:46 am »
I'm not sure how this pisses off Linux users? Many of us dumped Windows for a better alternative.

Microsoft admits that Linux does things better, so are trying to make Windows more like it? Too little, too late in my opinion.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 02:11:18 am »
As a Linux user of many years I am perfect for this job.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:12:50 am by Whales »

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 02:16:37 am »
Also:

Linking to Gnome 3 bug reports might be a step too far, no sane humans should be subjected to those.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:18:56 am by Whales »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 02:17:48 am »
Linking to Gnome 3 bug reports might be a step too far, no sane humans should be subjected to those.

No sane human should be exposed to GNOME 3.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, Red Squirrel, george.b, LateLesley

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 02:20:12 am »
I've heard things are now better than they were years ago, but I'm still burnt by it all, and the parts of gtk3 I'm slowly forced to start using (as people "update" their gtk2 apps) are still horribly broken UIs.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 11:26:13 am »
Strange, I do not feel pissed off. I moved from MS Windows to Linux about twenty years ago and apart from two pieces of test equipment that insist on an MS Windows front end I have been windows free since then.

The spyware and the total lack of quality control from Redmond when it comes to MS Windows 10 have just confirmed my decision. Last night I was up until 22:45 trying to get my girlfriend's new W10 notebook to print and it needed an obscure TCP/IP hack before it worked, this should not happen in 2019.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 06:09:08 pm »
Time for the classic.

You will be assimilated.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:32:18 pm »
Nothing radical about it, just practical.
The used company laptop that I bought (cheap) from my employer was born with Vista and downgraded to XP. As it was sold to me without Win, I tried to resurrect it to no avail. Impossible.

A Ubuntu installation brought back a 100% working machine that was faster than before.

I also have a PC running Win 10. I use both, each has its strengths and weaknesses, but I do prefer the Linux machine.

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 06:38:09 pm »
Nothing radical about it, just practical.
The used company laptop that I bought (cheap) from my employer was born with Vista and downgraded to XP. As it was sold to me without Win, I tried to resurrect it to no avail. Impossible.

A Ubuntu installation brought back a 100% working machine that was faster than before.

I also have a PC running Win 10. I use both, each has its strengths and weaknesses, but I do prefer the Linux machine.

Exactly, radical would be to believe that one platform is superior the other in all instances. It all comes to down to what you need/want and personal preference.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 07:57:20 pm »
Ahah, nice trolling thread.  :-DD

So, why not give in.

Windows users don't need this kind of thread, because they perfectly manage to piss themselves off without any help. :-DD

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 09:47:27 pm »
What, that's not what it's like when I play that game.  I didn't even realise it was 3D.  How did you go compiling a 64 bit version of Wine and getting dotnet45 installed?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 10:51:02 pm »
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 11:40:17 pm »
I'm a pretty hardcore Linux guy and that doesn't piss me off, or irritate me!

What makes a radical?   :scared:

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 12:21:04 am »
I make most of living right now on *NIX, several different flavors of it.   I used to us a different OS and at that time people knew me as UNIX hater.   I never hated it, just 25 years ago it was not ready for prime-time in many fields.   I never was a Windows lover, I really dislike it, but I hate to use it.

My moto is :  All hardware sucks, all OSes suck.   It just a matter of how much and on what function.

In other words, nothing is perfect, pick and choose based on the requirements.  OSes are like rubber you can push and pull them in ways.  Some are already shaped in one direction or another, others might be heavy and stiff in areas.

That picture doesn't piss me off.   I find it sad.   From what I can tell MS is just giving Linux lip service.  Most of the "radical"  Linux or MS guys I know do not understand the difference between an App, a GUI, Shell/CLI, Library/OS calls and the Kernel.   They are so confused.   MS is playing on this confusion.

pre-Y2K had a windows guy that stumbled on Linux and became a zealot.  Told all of the UNIX guys we were wrong.   He kept saying Linux was better in so many ways.   So I asked to show me what is better.   I don't remember exactly what it was but it had something to do with Gnome desktop, and most of our UNIX machines had CDE as the desktop.   So I said "Hang on a second"   Switched my desktop to Gnome on UNIX and did the same thing he just said I couldn't do.  But but.....   Linux is better.,,,,   Ahhh, you will see.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 12:28:43 am »
I'm a pretty hardcore Linux guy and that doesn't piss me off, or irritate me!

What makes a radical?   :scared:

ALT 251 will do it
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 12:33:31 am »
I’ve fiddled with Linux on and off since 1996.
Dived in full time (no dual boot) six years ago this November.
I *like* using Linux. That’s why I use it.
No one can contradict me on that.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, Ampera

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 05:27:39 pm »
I’ve fiddled with Linux on and off since 1996.
Dived in full time (no dual boot) six years ago this November.
I *like* using Linux. That’s why I use it.
No one can contradict me on that.

We are almost exactly in sync. I started playing with it in '95 or so, worked on a VMWare Workstation at university, tried an install (and messed up a line on my laptop lcd!) of Red Hat in '99, played with various distros on old hardware through the 2000s, then jumped to full time use on my primary computers six years ago when my work aligned with my computing goals.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 07:37:22 pm »
Linux has come of age. Thanks in part to the Busybox distro, the Linux Kernel is everywhere. Log onto your router, Linux does that. Flick through Netflix on a PVR, Linux. Store your photos on a NAS, Linux. Change the colour of your smart light bulb, Linux. Take a selfie on an android smart phone, Linux. Swear at Alexa because you don't want more push ads from the quantum supremacy, Linux.

Just about every device from a fatbit watch to a self driving lorry is running a build of the Linux Kernel, or many. I suggest one reason is that Linux is open source, so manufacturers don't have to pay for costly development cycles and licenses. Even if their Linux based products need user licenses to use them, isn't that right Cisco? As the GNU states: The GNU General Public License (GNU GPL or GPL) is a widely-used abused free software license which guarantees end users corporations the freedom to run, study, share, and modify the ignore the radical guys who wrote the software.

This said, yesterday my local supermarket's self-service tills were all rebooting, in Microsoft XP! You can't kill a good OS.

Lest said though about Microsoft Linux Kernel... :horse:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:56:09 pm by Syntax Error »

Offline techman-001

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 08:22:07 pm »
Linux has come of age. Thanks in part to the Busybox distro, the Linux Kernel is everywhere. Log onto your router, Linux does that. Flick through Netflix on a PVR, Linux. Store your photos on a NAS, Linux. Change the colour of your smart light bulb, Linux. Take a selfie on an android smart phone, Linux. Swear at Alexa because you don't want more push ads from the quantum supremacy, Linux.

Just about every device from a fatbit watch to a self driving lorry is running a build of the Linux Kernel, or many. I suggest one reason is that Linux is open source, so manufacturers don't have to pay for costly development cycles and licenses. Even if their Linux based products need user licenses to use them, isn't that right Cisco? As the GNU states: The GNU General Public License (GNU GPL or GPL) is a widely-used abused free software license which guarantees end users corporations the freedom to run, study, share, and modify the ignore the radical guys who wrote the software.

This said, yesterday my local supermarket's self-service tills were all rebooting, in Microsoft XP! You can't kill a good OS.

Lest said though about Microsoft Linux Kernel... :horse:

I agree. It was estimated at least 5 years ago that to build a new OS would cost in the order of a Billion dollars. Because Linux is free and has everything anyone needs across all the popular architectures, no one in their right mind is going to try and create a new OS now. All the manufacturers just design around Linux.

These days it's easier to explain what Linux doesn't own, because Linux owns everything else.

Linux doesn't own the PC Desktop, and never has because of Microsofts aggressive lawbreaking, but who cares?

The "desktop" is a shrinking market and has been for the last decade.

Those who need one, build one. Grab the parts, download a Linux Distro and make your own. Easy-peasy. I haven't had Windows on a Workstation since 1997. Unix all the way ...

Linux doesn't own the "laptop" market for exactly the same reasons as above.

Linux owns everything else.

Apologies if I piss of the radical Microsoft guys with the facts because it must be hard for them to watch their expensive software, their expensive Microsoft training and their Microsoft shares become more and more useless every year as they are consigned to the dustbin of history.

Ask any kid these days "What's Microsoft?" and you're likely to hear  "I dunno"  (while they're doing social media on their Android or iPhone).

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 08:56:11 pm »
I heard that the primary reason for windows is to download a Linux installer

The following users thanked this post: techman-001

Offline jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 08:56:31 pm »
@techman-001, jeez man... you really don't like MS.

Linux is ok for many things, but I wouldn't go as far as implying that it's a perfectly decent desktop OS, and the only reason it's not widely adopted is because MS breaks the law.

Windows is an amazing operating system, that worked better, was better marketed and better supported since the beginning. The reason Linux didn't manage to capture enough of the desktop market, even tho it was also heavily promoted, is because it wasn't good. Out of the many kids that found Linux to be cool, how many do you think thought to themselves: "hmm... grandma' will love this!" - close to none, right? why?

Edit: If kids these days don't know what MS is, they surely never heard of Linux.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:58:23 pm by jadew »

Offline techman-001

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 09:16:50 pm »
@techman-001, jeez man... you really don't like MS.

Linux is ok for many things, but I wouldn't go as far as implying that it's a perfectly decent desktop OS, and the only reason it's not widely adopted is because MS breaks the law.

Windows is an amazing operating system, that worked better, was better marketed and better supported since the beginning. The reason Linux didn't manage to capture enough of the desktop market, even tho it was also heavily promoted, is because it wasn't good. Out of the many kids that found Linux to be cool, how many do you think thought to themselves: "hmm... grandma' will love this!" - close to none, right? why?

Edit: If kids these days don't know what MS is, they surely never heard of Linux.

And here is our first radical Microsoft guy!

I don't know why you think I don't like Microsoft, honestly I couldn't care less about them. They've been irrelevant to my needs since 1997. Microsoft is a has-been, a wanabee OS giant etc, etc.

Even Bill Gates fled Microsoft, he was smart enough to see the writing on the wall and is now pedaling drugs to the world instead. He's traded the BSOD for the BPOD.

Hahaha, whatever ... you just keep loving your two bit, MS white goods OS for kids all you like.

I bet kids have heard of Linux, but they've certainly heard of Android and Google haven't they ? Just in case you don't know, all Apple products run Unix (OSX) as well.

Now tell me, what's Microsoft done lately ? Oh yeah, Microsoft have co-opted Linux into Windows and released a "Windows" phone running ... Android.

It must be hard for you Windows radicals to see the future while your view is blocked by the backs of all the Linux people in front of you.

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 09:31:42 pm »

Apologies if I piss of the radical Microsoft guys with the facts because it must be hard for them to watch their expensive software, their expensive Microsoft training and their Microsoft shares become more and more useless every year as they are consigned to the dustbin of history.

When did you last time check MSFT?  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf