Author Topic: Let's SKIP the smartphone functions: Just send ADs all day !  (Read 2228 times)

Offline RJSVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Let's SKIP the smartphone functions: Just send ADs all day !
« on: December 06, 2023, 02:08:06 am »
   I sometimes try to out-devious some, slightly annoying operators out there.  YouTube forcing 3 to 4 minutes of annoying ADs, before you can try some music, at 2:09 length.

Early days of television there was a limit worked out, something around 7 minutes of commercials, per each 60 minutes of total program.  Idea is, that was fair reimbursement for the content producing TV stations.
Lots of, maybe, cowboy Western shows and themes. Plus, a good coverage to watch
Apollo 11 make first Moon landing.

Now, these days I'm about fed-up with videos that force more and more (ADs) down the tube, plus a 'middle' AD break, now.  Not necessarily against some of that ...it's just that the whole experience has become cheap-tacky, and has an annoying quality of constant expansion, into stupid.
   "Get the APP,...much better...".   Yeah yeah, blah blah blah.
Anyway, where was I...?
   Sooo, the proposed change:
   How about just make the darn device spit out constant advertisements...no break, no volume controls; and DO THIS BEFORE EVERY PHONE CALL goes through.

Can't just chuck the thing through the window;
(Window has obvious usefulness, lol).

Whatta ya think ???

The following users thanked this post: SL4P, Dan123456

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: Let's SKIP the smartphone functions: Just send ADs all day !
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 02:20:03 am »
- Set adguard dns (dns.adguard-dns.com) in your phone.
- Use revanced extended app instead Youtube.

Enjoy ad-free experience!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 02:37:44 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 02:30:05 am »
** Pi-hole on a raspberry pi (dns level) works.
** “Smart tube next” (APK install) works for android TV ^and^ phones; I use it for years.

** “uBlock Origin” for chrome also
** “yt-dlp” + VLC, thusly:

“yt-dlp -g <youtube_url>” - paste the long url it spits out directly into VLC with CTRL-V when VLC is open.

No ads for years, about 7 years. I use all the above daily. The only thing that gets through is ads on iOS YouTube app, but I made an iOS “shortcut” that SSH’s to my Mac, passes it the YouTube url which the Mac does “yt-dlp -g” on, as above example, passes the result back to my iPhone and opens the direct video stream in the default browser.

Shove your ads.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 02:33:00 am by lezginka_kabardinka »

Online Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 12:31:43 pm »
Funny: YT obviously makes huges losses, even with all that advertisement. That's why they are pushing towards accounts and advertisement-free subscriptions.
So one should really expect much more advertisement, until YT at least makes a breakeven.
Additional, the creators´ in-stream advertisements will increase in numbers as well, as production costs are rising and advertising partners are paying less.

I want those good old internet days back, when you could run an open mail relay - and no one abused it. And not having to constantly fight against new monetization trends...

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 01:42:38 pm »
I look forward to returning to the days of Bittorrent and other P2P systems.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 03:09:22 pm »
Yes, a real paradox that all/most people hate ads and ads still earn money. I will never order anything from Findchips nor JLCPCB and you know why.

Regards, Dieter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 03:37:35 pm »
   I'm still with plans in the works, to get into a few classes, for managing things, in a smart-phine class at local REC. department, and a real plus is another place just re-opened:  Senior center is now re-opened, after renovation.  They sponsor several classes on computer use.

Should help, assuming I stay stuck with android devices.  I say that partly because the last 8 months or so the screen presentation is messed up, (along with the kinda sudden uptick in annoying ADs).
   Now, at least when without explicit APP, I get a full, clear white screen, with a little window down in the corner.  Elapsed time isn't presented either.  Some videos go to a full, upright screen, no landscape mode option.

There is a button pushing 'trick' for making things go to full screen, (upright only, no landscape mode option), but you have to stay on it, for the 3 minutes of ADs.  That makes me feel like some crass cheap hacker, 'stealing' from YouTube....lol.
   I don't mind paying them, if the on-line banking was less risky, it's not the small money that drives me away.  Logic is that YouTube is now a media giant, and should have (more) fair access.  Lacking options, I've used YouTube as a conduit for news and info.
   Relatives are pushing me to do the whole TikTok thing.

I'll do some posts, when I've been to couple of classes (January...). Thanks

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 03:40:50 pm »
I look forward to returning to the days of Bittorrent and other P2P systems.
I never knew those days were gone ;)

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 03:56:08 pm »
Click YT link, wait for ad to roll, back-button then forward, voilà, ad goes away! 
Mute for mid-roll and any other occasion.
This works in a desktop Firefox browser context. I don't browse YT on my Android.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 04:08:13 pm by pqass »

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2023, 04:54:27 pm »
Click YT link, wait for ad to roll, back-button then forward, voilà, ad goes away! 
This works in a desktop Firefox browser context. I don't browse YT on my Android.

or get youtube premium and you'll not only get no ads you'll also be paying youtube and creators for their work instead of being a freeloader complaining that people don't work for free

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 05:22:20 pm »
seems,at least here yt have shot themselves in the foot with a recent change that insists i turn on history.If i dont, instead of a random page of suggestions that i would scroll through and randomly play stuff that looked interesting  ,all i get now is a blank screen.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 08:43:06 pm »
Thanks langwadt for comment;
   I think about the revenue stream issues too, as I've been, potentially at least, involved with software that could have copyright.
   However, I'm possibly on the other side, of any controversy, being that:
   My phone runs via...a Google originated system, Android.
   My phone video loads, via...a Google owned video source, YouTube.
   My email runs, almost, under Google's Gmail, but I'm using another, older service.
   Any formal complaints I may file, say under the U.S. Trade commission, assuming some major crap happens, will transmit via. Google, even if I don't use that Gmail account.
   Formal complaints in various govt. agencies can sometimes be collected via. Google Forms, as well as various medical forms at my doctor.

Heck, that phone knows when I'm up, out of bed, within less than 30 seconds (creepy).
   It's just too big a pile, of maybe avenues for abuse, of privacy or worse...

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023, 09:08:20 pm »

or get youtube premium and you'll not only get no ads you'll also be paying youtube and creators for their work instead of being a freeloader complaining that people don't work for free

YT Premium?  Why?  Are they prepared to pay me for market research? 
YT fucked themselves with two unskippable ads and mid-rolls every few minutes; more than one and i'm gone.
There's only so much Grammarly and PeptoBismol BS I can take; the irony is not lost on the latter.
I give them the same amount of attention I give broadcast TV; mute and piss-breaks. 
Advertisers are stupid to expect more than that.
I Cntrl-Shift Del often and bouncing my IP is a click away.
The content creators I watch still have their day jobs and aren't in it for the money.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline Dan123456

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2023, 11:29:34 pm »

Shhhhhh!!! That is my secret sauce and haven’t mentioned it as don’t want YouTube to patch it  :-DD

Anyways, same thing works with clicking on a YouTube short then clicking back on mobile   ;D It doesn’t usually work for the first ad, but will usually skip the second one  ;D

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2023, 11:46:32 pm »

YT Premium?  Why?  Are they prepared to pay me for market research? 
YT fucked themselves with two unskippable ads and mid-rolls every few minutes; more than one and i'm gone.
There's only so much Grammarly and PeptoBismol BS I can take; the irony is not lost on the latter.
I give them the same amount of attention I give broadcast TV; mute and piss-breaks. 
Advertisers are stupid to expect more than that.
I Cntrl-Shift Del often and bouncing my IP is a click away.
The content creators I watch still have their day jobs and aren't in it for the money.

so you expect people to work for free and youtube to provide storage and bandwidth for free

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 12:08:33 am »
   How about just make the darn device spit out constant advertisements...no break, no volume controls; and DO THIS BEFORE EVERY PHONE CALL goes through.

Dont be too impatient, this time is coming. ;D

As langwadt said, money has to be made one way or another. All this cheap (for mobile phones) or free (for YT) access to very expensive (to maintain) services can't be sustained without money flowing in.
And yes, when you think of the price of mobile phones (except maybe the high-end ones) and access to the services, it has become rather cheap.
And since we have become used to this, we dont want to go back to paying big bucks. So companies have to resort to tricks to make money. Sucks, but it's all our fault in a way. (Well, partly, because we didn't really choose the cheapo model to begin with. But we did take advantage of it.)

And that said, sure they're all going to milk the cow as much as possible once it's started. That's not per se devious, that's just entropy.

Meanwhile, you have ways of bypassing most of that (at least for now) as others have said, so use them and don't try to Don Quixote your way out of it, because I doubt it'll work out.

The following users thanked this post: rteodor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 03:06:03 am »
?   What's the Don Quiotay thing ; was that being brave, and dueling with a chair ? (Just curious).

Langwadt, thoughts posted in here are what I like, because it's arguing against my angle.  If it's a full cheat, to watch a video then, sure, I can be convinced that's unfair to a content creator, and would agree there should be a built-in remedy.
   I'm thinking more along the lines of, again, a system with formal grants and legal protection against indulging in another person's 'art', uninvited.  But that formal system then has a 'YIELD' clause, meaning an expiration after some number of years.
That way, you can view a movie, like Wizard of OZ, after the copyright expires, and that's considered a benefit, just to the general movie interested public (or students in acting careers etc).  Locking things up, into perpetuity, is almost the same as purely destroying such works, remembering that many artists build on what they've seen and learned, from other work.  A student, with 6 older classic movies to study, might not afford to pay to view some vintage Charlie Chaplin flick.

Part of what caused this thread to start-up;
I had gotten to a web site that put notice, they wanted to 'track' me, and send notices, so the pop-up said:   "ALLOW". and.  "BLOCK"...
But then notice said that I must click on 'ALLOW',...to prove that I'm not a BOT !!!
Clever,...or, rather;   tacky trick, annoying
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 03:13:22 am by RJSV »

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 03:07:30 am »
so you expect people to work for free and youtube to provide storage and bandwidth for free

No I do not.  But my eyeballs aren't unconditionally free either.

I'm not averse to all advertising but if they make it too onerous or obnoxious I will take my eyeballs elsewhere; diminishing the value of their network. How's X[itter] doing these days?  Yet browsing old.reddit.com is quite acceptable.  If users had to pay for every click (ie. think), the world would be in a much better place; most of the YT content being pop shit, political barf, and inanity, plus a tiny fraction informative (🡰 no money here).

Advertisers won't be happy until we are restrained like in the Clockwork Orange scene.

Whether YT is a loss-leader or it's just Hollywood AccountingTM, the advertising I do see is apparently enough for them to keep the lights on. If Google ever locks-down YT, you know it's not long for the pile.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 04:25:50 am by pqass »

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 03:57:04 am »
Shhhhhh!!! That is my secret sauce and haven’t mentioned it as don’t want YouTube to patch it  :-DD

Anyways, same thing works with clicking on a YouTube short then clicking back on mobile   ;D It doesn’t usually work for the first ad, but will usually skip the second one  ;D

Also,
Firefox Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Permissions -> Autoplay, set Default for all websites to Block Audio and Video.
Then middle-click your YT link (so it opens in a new tab), switch to that tab and wait.  The ad won't play. Five seconds later, it'll switch to the next ad (if any), and then to your content.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2023, 04:48:58 am »
Creators mostly seem to be getting paid by other means nowadays and Bittorrent provides hosting for almost free, the creator just has to seed one copy and the viewers add to the bandwidth.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2023, 01:55:32 pm »
This is a good point btw. Content that is created for the purpose of making money on YT monetization tends to be crap more often, because it's the naturally expected consequence of the primary purpose being to get more views instead of to create more useful content.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 02:00:18 pm »
Whatta ya think ???
I think you need to learn how to write.
It's a headache to read every sentence. It's filled with non-sequiturs and 90% of your sentences aren't finished.
You aren't just supposed to barf out here whatever goes on in your head.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2023, 08:16:53 pm »
   Ok tszaboo, I see your point.  But if you are familiar with content creators, maybe a good example of a content creator would be Electroboom (Mehdi from Canada).  That originator needs a revenue stream to keep going, while something like a Charlie Chaplin estate would have had content copyrights expire, by now.  I'm not a lawyer.
   (I often adopt a 'raw' writing style as maybe a reflection of the social chaos...a quite irritating state.  Maybe a sarcastic angle aggravated by things like declining high school test scores etc).
   Some others here respond with their own version of that irritation.

But perhaps needs to be a better systematic distinction, (on YouTube), between somebody making instructional or entertainment material, right now, and some viewing material that originally had formal copyright, like movies from 1934.
   Thus, I value, like I said, the input here by those that think it's a 'freeloader' that wants to view and old movie.  Not sure if that is totally covered, legally, but rather it's left as a grey area partially due to the new technology.

Try walk in my shoes, for a second, as I argue with one of my doctors, who cannot even understand which is a first name or which is a last name, their comprehension of language structure is so poor.  In my particular case, it's English, with doctor a recent immigrant.
We actually, literally argued that, a (blood) test in 'November' was not an 'August test'.  Point is there's lots of faulty language out there,  so maybe I sarcastically mock those language barriers.  Maybe a waste of time, to point out some small, deliberate faults in presentation.
   Others seem to be able to post their thoughts or disagreements here.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2023, 11:33:41 pm »
   Yes so, even as I ran another time, checking how many clicks it took, just to position the thumbnail sized ADVERTISEMENT that is appearing at bottom of the screen, the video that came up, finally, now has a shared AD space, 50/50 with included AD message...(says Get Your Grocery Card Now).
   I had wanted to quantify how many strategic clicks it took, to get the thumbnails positioned so that, eventually, when requested video starts, it can be expanded to look much like the YouTube stuff of, say, 2 years ago.  What I'm saying is that it isn't just an AD, or a couple, but also everything is shrunk to thumbnails at the bottom of screen, and so requires some scrutiny and finger location just simply to get the video expanded properly...often missing up to 5 seconds of the music while focus is on that little task.  Otherwise you are stuck with a thumbnail sized window playing...ok when just interested in audio, I guess.
   Now, after all that, the YouTube presentation takes up the lower half of video action ...this time advertising a free card for shopping, (as has been the trend, lately).  It's a medical care card, which many HMO providers have started to offer to pay your grocery bills.

Funny thing this happens, getting even more annoying by playing an AD, DURING your video play.
   I had actually planned on sarcastic remark that, next, the smartphone will insist on playing a 3 minute AD before each call completes!
(As one poster suggested earlier).
Of course that cheapness might still allow emergency contacts (911 etc) without ADs playing first.
   Shiiiii, this cheapness is outlasting my own snarky imagination.   I should go work for those advertisers...or maybe they should come work for me...lol.

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2023, 07:28:45 am »
 :popcorn:

Guys. I will tell you about legit workaround right now. You see, in Russia we have no youtube ads, no adblock necessary. They disabled it. So all you need a VPN service that uses Russian IP. Either your current VPN will have that option, or find another VPN that has this option. Or, there are plenty of proxy servers, use that.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: lezginka_kabardinka

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf