Author Topic: Lighweight AC line cords?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Lighweight AC line cords?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 06:50:28 pm »
So we are talking IEC C13 power cords here, right? Because those are typically only rated for 10A anyway. So that would usually be 3x0.75mm2. And frankly, even if you could make the conductors thinner, there are diminishing returns. The insulation still needs to be mains-rated, so you can't really make that thinner (do NOT use microphone cable for mains voltage like someone suggested  :wtf:). It might also be plugged and unplugged, bent, pulled, stepped on etc reasonably frequently so the jacket needs to be at least somewhat robust. Using something more flexible than standard PVC here would make a pretty big difference though. Maybe someone does "premium" IEC cords with rubber/silicone/textile jackets.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:57:36 pm by switchabl »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline IDEngineerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 07:02:48 pm »
Using something more flexible than standard PVC here would make a pretty big difference though. Maybe someone does "premium" IEC cords with rubber/silicone/textile jackets.
I do have a couple of line cords with the "figure 8" (C7 two prong) or "mickey mouse" (C5 three prong) device-end connectors and those have quite thin and flexible cords. Just need to find the equivalent for C13.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 07:03:25 pm »
It's a problem with power cords having national or international safety approvals. Safety standards have tests for abrasion, bending, pull and many more. There are loopholes.
It's complicated: https://shop.worldcordsets.com/shop

For line cords (not IEC, not extension) of course the skinniest come from china, rated 2.5A CCC approved, 0.75mm2 60227 IEC53 wire. I've seen them on a Walmart DVD player and Amazon Shark USB charger. Very scary. You wouldn't step on them. https://shop.worldcordsets.com/shop/categories/China-Power-Cords
I'm assuming there must be an upstream fuse in chinese plugs? - their ain't in North America.

I don't fully understand IEC cords rated 6A despite a 15A branch circuit feed. I find the copper thin but plastic thick. IEC didn't want to have another key yet these cords do get mixed up with 15A cords.

I would there are no magical skinny power cords- I would say you can go shorter or more expensive (better plastics) or add a fuse upstream at the plug which is common in other countries.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 07:53:54 pm »
Maybe something like this would save you some room: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Power-Splitter-Cord-5-15P/dp/B09B7G9D4Q/

Offline rcjoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2024, 08:13:52 pm »
The flat cable style can be more flexible.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2024, 08:28:35 pm »
Does anyone make really lightweight line cords?

You're not going to find IEC C13 cables with christmas-tree sized wires, but some versions are a lot lighter and flexible than others.  Think of vacuum cleaner cords for example. 

I can't vouch for the flexibility of this cable, but it is the type of thing you are looking for.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5278
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2024, 08:35:48 pm »
The concept nay, requirement, that a downstream cable must be appropriately rated for the next upstream protective device is fundamental. If you don't understand that, then you're on the wrong forum.

Fundamental perhaps, but not a universal requirement.  There are cases where the protective device is allowed to be downstream and the reasons are neither stupid nor ridiculous.  The problem with fusing an extension cord is that you would need a very large slow-blow fuse for general purpose use.  The fuses in christmas-tree lights are only viable because the exact load type and amount is known.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2024, 08:46:16 pm »
The problem with fusing an extension cord is that you would need a very large slow-blow fuse for general purpose use.
wouldnt call our bs1362 fuse either large or slow and theirs at least  one in almost every standard  uk extension lead

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2024, 11:12:24 pm »
Using something more flexible than standard PVC here would make a pretty big difference though. Maybe someone does "premium" IEC cords with rubber/silicone/textile jackets.
I do have a couple of line cords with the "figure 8" (C7 two prong) or "mickey mouse" (C5 three prong) device-end connectors and those have quite thin and flexible cords. Just need to find the equivalent for C13.

I told you what to search for, did you bother to try?
IEC C320, NEMA5-15P, 18AWG, SJ/SJE/etc.
Maybe https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Volex/17002A-10-B1?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvXcJVS4l7FP47WUFSNTlbSI%252BgAL0mgzVU%3D

Does anyone make really lightweight line cords?

You're not going to find IEC C13 cables with christmas-tree sized wires, but some versions are a lot lighter and flexible than others.  Think of vacuum cleaner cords for example. 

I can't vouch for the flexibility of this cable, but it is the type of thing you are looking for.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5278

This is worth a try for the price alone but SVT won't be quite as flexible as SJE/SJ, at least from the stuff I have here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 11:16:00 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2024, 07:18:32 am »
...and yet society seems to leave it to the individual to insure that, at least with extension cords. How are line cords different?

This is where your brainfart occurred. You kinda assume the US extension cords are the usual way of business. In reality, in big picture, compared to extension cords everywhere else, or to most other wiring in the US, they are really a weird exception to otherwise very well functioning and safe system with no downsides and only upsides. Which is exactly why this remaining weird artifact should be fixed by legislation. But enjoy your house fires if you think they are such important part of your freedom.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2024, 08:26:01 am »
Those should not be available in the first place; they should be illegal. Something being dangerous and still being allowed is not a good reason to allow more dangerous crap into market. It's harder to ban something once it's widespread.
Where does it end? Should we ban motorcycles? Bicycles? What about drunk driving... which should we ban, cars or liquor? Kitchen knives cut a lot of people. Hand tools. Soldering irons. Most sports have risk. Medicines taken at home instead of professionally administered at a doctor's office.

There are a lot of "dangerous" things. It's a big scary world out there. Lightweight line cords aren't even near the top of the list.
The problem is that the average consumer knows nothing whatsoever about electricity and thus has absolutely no way of judging when such a cord would be safe to use and when it would be dangerous. With many things, the risks are obvious and known to the average consumer. But when it comes to pairing electrical loads to parts… sorry, nope, most people know nothing at all.

The following users thanked this post: Monkeh, Someone, Gyro

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2024, 09:22:31 am »
Dont like C13 cables? Replace the power adaptors with those having integrated mains plugs, or .....

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2024, 09:24:08 am »

The requirement that you not be intoxicated while driving has actual legal penalties for its violation - yet cars don't have breathalyzers. Apparently we trust the typical individual to assess their ability to safely control a multi-ton piece of equipment with no oversight, just reactions after the accident/fatality.

Funnily enough, all new cars in the UK & EU are required to have the facility to fit a breathalyser-immobiliser, since 2022. Not sure about the septics, but it'll probably just be a matter of time.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2024, 11:11:33 am »
The ChiComs  vendors  VERY stiff thick IEC mains cables with poorly made connectors and thin copper or copper plated steel wires .

The BEST thin and flexibvle IECcables are vintage from HP, GenRad, Belden and other USA firms.

Some are right angel IEC.

Often can recognize as they are gray not black.

We have 100s

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline IDEngineerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2024, 12:07:16 pm »
Agreed, but I haven't found any C13's like the one in your photo.

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2024, 12:33:10 pm »
Over the years I have built myself different types of power cords which do not comply with any standards and which possibly violate the Hague and the Prague conventions but they are for use by me and nobody else. I know what I am doing and I know how to use them safely. I have sometimes spliced several C13 cables to a single Schucko cable. This saves space and outlets in the workbench.

I have also modified/rebuilt some connectors to suit my needs. You can heat plastic and mold it and , though it might not look as nice as a commercially built unit, it will work just fine. You can do it with higher point plastic or even with so-called hot glue.

Maybe sometimes what I need could be found commercially but it is just quicker and cheaper for me to make it myself. I think the OP's situation is one of these where the easiest solution is to build your own.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2024, 03:54:20 pm »
The BEST thin and flexibvle IECcables are vintage from HP, GenRad, Belden and other USA firms.

I made considerable effort to find IEC cables equivalent to the old Tektronix right angle grey ones and never found anything.  They have a little clip molded into the plug which allows the cable to be secured to itself.

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2024, 05:37:30 pm »
The ChiComs  vendors  VERY stiff thick IEC mains cables with poorly made connectors and thin copper or copper plated steel wires .

We have 100s

j

X2.  One of the thinnest IEC cords that I have is one that came with an original Apple I-Mac. The jacket is barber pole like pattern of red, green and yellow stripes in a twisted design.  But Jon is correct, for a thinner cord look for cords from 1970s and 80s vintage HP and other US TE manufacturers.  My advice is to go to a large surplus or scrap electronics place and look through their wire scrap. That's one of the first things that I look at when I go to scrap or surplus place and I've found some very nice power cords and also a lot of scope probes, LA probes and the like.

Offline rcjoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2024, 08:41:56 pm »
Agreed, but I haven't found any C13's like the one in your photo.

At least one place has them.  I agree they are not common.

https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/iec-power-cord-flat-black-6-ft-18-3-ac-cord-plug-to-iec-female-spt-2-spt2-18awg.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf