Author Topic: Lighweight AC line cords?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline IDEngineerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Lighweight AC line cords?
« on: January 30, 2024, 11:01:11 pm »
Does anyone make really lightweight line cords?

I have a fair bit of portable electronic equipment. Most of it uses the standard detachable three conductor line cords. But despite the units consuming maybe 1-2 amps maximum, they all ship with thick, heavy, stiff line cords typically rated for a full 15 amps. When I roll those up for transport they consume a lot more space than required.

I'd like to replace those with short (one meter / 3 feet would be more than sufficient in most cases), small diameter, flexible, lightweight line cords. A 3A rating would be more than enough, since most of the time they're powering sub-50W puppy-in-the-python switchers consuming an amp at most.

Anyone know of a source for these? Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 11:02:46 pm by IDEngineer »

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Lighweight AC line cords?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 11:34:35 pm »
How would that be safe?  Most of the world (including North America) doesn't use fused domestic mains plugs, so plugging such a lightweight cord into a high power appliance would result in overheating and possible fire.  Mixups happen, and a moment of inattention on your part e.g. forgetting one, could result in someone who doesn't know better overloading it.

The best you can do to save weight and space, except in countries with fused plugs, is to shorten the detachable cord as much as you can tolerate.

If I was being cynical, I would say that many of the suppliers in Shenzhen could meet all your stated requirements except flexibility, as they do tend to bulk up the insulation to disguise the grossly undersized conductors!   >:D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 11:38:23 pm by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Someone, Towger

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 11:39:42 pm »
Its not safe but you could use thin, xlr cable.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 11:40:45 pm »
I guess I'd hope that all our choices aren't dictated by the least intelligent amongst us. It's already possible to buy an under-15A extension cord, which would pose exactly the same risk as what you describe (in fact, technically it would be even riskier due to the net increase in length). If those are available, why not line cords?

More: Actually, many extension cords have one plug and multiple outlets. I can easily imagine a typical user seeing "7 amp extension cord" and thinking "Cool, three 7 amp heaters on a single cord!" Obviously we're not protecting folks like that....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 12:37:47 am by IDEngineer »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 11:43:33 pm »
Its not safe but you could use thin, xlr cable.
That would not have molded connectors on the ends. It's already possible to build from scratch, I'm hoping for molded cords.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 02:03:09 am »
I have some really nice thin and light 10A cords but they are 2.5m so too long. 18AWG.
They are marked "SVE" (Service Vacuum Elastomer). Probably SE or SJE marking would be good as well?

You can also get the Y splitter type if you have a few things to plug in.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 08:52:09 am »
How would that be safe?

By integrating a fuse into the plug. I don't know if those exist, just saying it's well possible. Fuse can be even of a tiny integrated design, doesn't need to be large user-replaceable like in the UK plug. Then again, people would misuse the cords and then complain how they stop working.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 08:53:39 am »
It's already possible to buy an under-15A extension cord, which would pose exactly the same risk as what you describe (in fact, technically it would be even riskier due to the net increase in length). If those are available, why not line cords?

Those should not be available in the first place; they should be illegal. Something being dangerous and still being allowed is not a good reason to allow more dangerous crap into market. It's harder to ban something once it's widespread.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 03:22:34 pm »
I had some IEC cords where the IEC part got loose so I cut the IEC end off and made extension cords out of them using outlet boxes.  When I did it, I thought, "Hmm, the copper wire in these seems thin."  Later when I put them to use, the cords got hot with only part of a 15 amp load so I ended up getting rid of them for safety.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 04:24:43 pm by David Hess »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 03:26:37 pm »
How would that be safe?

By integrating a fuse into the plug. I don't know if those exist, just saying it's well possible.
Those do exist, in almost every string of Christmas tree lights. They even include a tiny replacement fuse.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 03:32:18 pm »
Those should not be available in the first place; they should be illegal. Something being dangerous and still being allowed is not a good reason to allow more dangerous crap into market. It's harder to ban something once it's widespread.
Where does it end? Should we ban motorcycles? Bicycles? What about drunk driving... which should we ban, cars or liquor? Kitchen knives cut a lot of people. Hand tools. Soldering irons. Most sports have risk. Medicines taken at home instead of professionally administered at a doctor's office.

There are a lot of "dangerous" things. It's a big scary world out there. Lightweight line cords aren't even near the top of the list.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 04:34:49 pm »
Where does it end? Should we ban motorcycles? Bicycles? What about drunk driving... which should we ban, cars or liquor? Kitchen knives cut a lot of people. Hand tools. Soldering irons. Most sports have risk. Medicines taken at home instead of professionally administered at a doctor's office.

There are a lot of "dangerous" things. It's a big scary world out there. Lightweight line cords aren't even near the top of the list.

Maybe we should restrict "dangerous" to things that can burn your house down while you sleep - Hey that covers those fake imported ebike batteries too!  :-+
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 04:45:28 pm »
Cigarettes. Candles. Fireplaces. All gas appliances including cooktops, ovens, furnaces, water heaters.

Their electric equivalents can also start fires. While you sleep!

Ask the airline industry about lithium batteries. You likely have them all over your house.

Where does it end?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 04:47:32 pm by IDEngineer »

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 04:50:10 pm »
Should we ban motorcycles?

If motorcycles burst randomly in flames when non-technical people use them as intended, and if there is a technical solution which costs like $0.10 to implement, yes, then we should ban motorcycles which lack this obvious protection. This is how civilized first-world societies operate.

Nearly every other country has banned non-fused extension cords not rated to the rating of the socket, and we manage just fine, no dystopia as a result. Your strawman is just ridiculous. The importance of fusing is understood pretty much everywhere, and it's mandatory everywhere for a very good reason. You have one weird exception to this rule, and it's causing real issues. You would lose nothing by fixing it. A safety device on a knife, on the other hand, would render it pretty much inoperable. And a knife does not fly and stab you on its own while you sleep anyway.

Also I'm pretty sure you have some standards so that a lighter can be recalled if it bursts in flames when used like one uses a lighter.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 04:55:42 pm by Siwastaja »

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 04:58:16 pm »
All gas appliances including cooktops, ovens, furnaces, water heaters.

... safety of all of which is regulated. Random result from Google: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/08/19/2019-17512/performance-requirements-for-residential-gas-furnaces-and-boilers-advance-notice-of-proposed . This is just an example. I don't know how your legislative system works as a whole, but I'm 150% sure there are some legal requirements for safety devices, exactly to prevent these devices from killing you while you sleep.

Regarding your question, where does it end, well I would like it to end at the point where the residual risk is already small enough, can be clearly communicated, and any further mitigation would be either prohibitively expensive or somehow render the device useless, significantly less energy efficient, hard to use, annoying.

Where exactly is matter of taste. Some want complete nanny state, others don't, I'm in the latter group. Your taste is colossally bad, though. Following the usual fusing practices in electrical circuits has none of these downsides. You are then "allowed" to illegally bypass the fuses if you so wish, to live "on the edge".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 05:03:26 pm by Siwastaja »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 05:04:18 pm »
Cigarettes. Candles. Fireplaces. All gas appliances including cooktops, ovens, furnaces, water heaters.

Their electric equivalents can also start fires. While you sleep!

Ask the airline industry about lithium batteries. You likely have them all over your house.

Where does it end?

Err, not leaving cigarettes, candles and unguarded fires burning when you go to bed? Also having appliances that are properly wired, manufactured and serviced?

Sure, lots of things contain lithium batteries (not my point - I was talking about the fake Chinese ebikes that we see catching fire in the night while being charged with an equally fake charger). We rely on properly designed and manufactured stuff for our safety while we sleep!

Probably a good point for it to end, the other stuff you mentioned are conscious decisions while awake.
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 05:07:17 pm »
Should we ban motorcycles?
Nearly every other country has banned non-fused extension cords not rated to the rating of the socket
Which socket? Breakered or fused to what amperage? There are 18ga, 16ga, 14ga, and 12ga extension cords all with the same plugs and sockets. Yes, amperage specific sockets do exist but they're rare except in places like hospitals.

A motorcycle isn't a straw man at all. They're legal in every country AFAIK, first world or not. There's a reason people joke darkly about their riders being organ donors no matter what kind of helmet they do(n't) wear. Yet you can buy one today and not only risk your own well being but those around you too.

Civilized societies accept that life involves risks. We knowingly make risk tradeoffs every day. Many tens of thousands are killed every year in auto accidents yet we keep them around because as a society we accept that the benefit outweighs the risk. So too for all the other examples I posted above. All have demonstrated lethal risks, all are accepted by society.

A lightweight line cord doesn't even move the needle.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 05:12:25 pm »
The concept nay, requirement, that a downstream cable must be appropriately rated for the next upstream protective device is fundamental. If you don't understand that, then you're on the wrong forum.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2024, 05:29:02 pm »
...and yet society seems to leave it to the individual to insure that, at least with extension cords. How are line cords different?

The requirement that you not be intoxicated while driving has actual legal penalties for its violation - yet cars don't have breathalyzers. Apparently we trust the typical individual to assess their ability to safely control a multi-ton piece of equipment with no oversight, just reactions after the accident/fatality.

The examples are endless. Bottom line: Society accepts lethal risks in many areas. Apparently extension cords are just too convenient to prohibit, along with countless other products which are lethal when misused. I would guess most of those users aren't "professionally qualified" to assess the dangers of most things they buy and use yet they buy and use them every day. I'm with Siwastaja, I don't want a nanny state either.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 05:30:33 pm by IDEngineer »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 05:31:55 pm »
Legit manufacturers obey the law, hence you can only get dodgy imported thin line cords. You take these decisions for your kids too - I assume they sleep at night too?
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2024, 05:41:11 pm »
Does anyone make really lightweight line cords?

I have a fair bit of portable electronic equipment. Most of it uses the standard detachable three conductor line cords. But despite the units consuming maybe 1-2 amps maximum, they all ship with thick, heavy, stiff line cords typically rated for a full 15 amps. When I roll those up for transport they consume a lot more space than required.

I'd like to replace those with short (one meter / 3 feet would be more than sufficient in most cases), small diameter, flexible, lightweight line cords. A 3A rating would be more than enough, since most of the time they're powering sub-50W puppy-in-the-python switchers consuming an amp at most.

Anyone know of a source for these? Thanks!

Getting back to the original request. Shorter IEC cables are readily available: 1 foot, 2 foot, 3 foot. You should find them easily if you just ask your search engine or amazon type site. Also the default amperage for these cables is 10A. The 15A ones are called "heavy duty".

If all your equipment is in one spot, get yourself a power strip for the longer run to the outlet and use a bunch of 1 or 2 foot cords.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2024, 05:57:34 pm »
If all your equipment is in one spot, get yourself a power strip for the longer run to the outlet and use a bunch of 1 or 2 foot cords.
I essentially carry a development environment in my backpack when travelling. Laptop, debuggers, scope(s), specialized probes, soldering equipment, various meters, etc. Depending upon the environment I'm in (hotel room, boat on open water, flying aircraft, etc.) I may use one or several pieces of equipment. I try to use battery operated gear when possible but sometimes the sessions are long enough that batteries won't make it. The savings in volume and weight in having lightweight cords would be substantial when I'm carrying half a dozen or more, even if they're only 1-2 feet long each. I'm not sure swapping the saved line cord volume for a multi-outlet power strip is a net savings. There are always outlets available in these environments, but I'd love to shed the poundage and volume.

I apologize that this thread devolved into arguments about safety. That wasn't my intent, I was hoping the responses would be more like "This website offers a variety of line cord options".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:10:07 pm by IDEngineer »

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2024, 06:21:35 pm »
Got to ask why the want for molded? ive had more failures with molded leads than  ones ive knocked up myself,plus if a home made leads goes wrong it can easily be repaired instead of being chucked in the scrap  bin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2024, 06:27:34 pm »
Got to ask why the want for molded?
Size. Molded plugs can generally be smaller than those that can be opened for DIY assembly.

Size and weight are what I'm seeking to reduce.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 06:35:28 pm »
Not sure on the laws but I've never seen lighter than 16 on a production extension cord, 18 for a device cord.

I do worry about the 18 gauge stuff, especially the cheapo PVC zip cord for lamps, you have to wonder if a 20 amp breaker would trip before the insulation melts if something shorts in a lamp switch/socket or whatever. Sucks that the good rubber HPN zip cord is only really available in #16 that won't fit in a table lamp center tube.

I certainly wouldn't go lighter than 18 without fused plugs, and that's what most IEC cords are already.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:38:08 pm by BrokenYugo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf