Author Topic: Linus Tech Tips Video Production  (Read 26103 times)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Linus Tech Tips Video Production
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2019, 03:39:05 pm »
I don't know much about current TV broadcasting standards, but I think 4K is already the standard for what a typical TV channel ideally expects to get from third parties even when they just broadcast at Full HD.

8K certainly seems ahead of its time but it may become again what TV channels expect to get in a few years from now... to broadcast in 4K.

And yes I'm just guessing here, maybe this wishful thinking is part of some Youtubers' megalomania! ;D

But it's likely just a marketing tool. They are probably hoping that having 8K videos when many competitors only film in 4K makes them have an edge, whatever it is good for...
Ahh, marketing!

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2019, 03:44:03 pm »
But it's likely just a marketing tool. They are probably hoping that having 8K videos when many competitors only film in 4K makes them have an edge, whatever it is good for...
Ahh, marketing!
Also their viewer group are high end. I want to bet that RED is willing to sell LTT their equipment at a discount, as they can see their potential customers in LTT viewers. This means LTT videos, with their proud displays of "toys," becomes somewhat of a RED ad. Earned media is to be cherished.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2019, 03:45:07 pm »
I don't know much about current TV broadcasting standards, but I think 4K is already the standard for what a typical TV channel ideally expects to get from third parties even when they just broadcast at Full HD.

8K certainly seems ahead of its time but it may become again what TV channels expect to get in a few years from now... to broadcast in 4K.

And yes I'm just guessing here, maybe this wishful thinking is part of some Youtubers' megalomania! ;D

Ahh, marketing!

Totally pointless, so i can whatch on a 43" screen with 8 pixels per mm, total waste of resources, it's just a race to have "the biggest dick".

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2019, 03:49:11 pm »
You would think so. Even big Hollywood movies are made in Full HD and upscaled later. Like the new Avengers movie. Billions of dollars spent on it. CGI is rendered in Full HD. And they made a breakdown of it, 96% of the movie is CGI.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2019, 04:01:46 pm »
You would think so. Even big Hollywood movies are made in Full HD and upscaled later. Like the new Avengers movie. Billions of dollars spent on it. CGI is rendered in Full HD. And they made a breakdown of it, 96% of the movie is CGI.
Do you have a source for that? I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Looks like 2K and 2.8K were common standards and 4K is quickly becoming a new standard. The last Avengers movies seem to have been filmed on Arri cameras, which I think are 2.8K but possibly the new models are higher resolution cameras. Note that I just Googled all of this, so I may be way off the mark. :P

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2019, 04:02:42 pm »
Totally pointless, so i can whatch on a 43" screen with 8 pixels per mm, total waste of resources, it's just a race to have "the biggest dick".
Small steps may not be impressive, but when it accumulates it makes a difference.

For display technologies I certainly have something to say here. For a long time my monitor was a 22-inch 1680x1050 Lenovo OEM unit. Moving from that to a 21.5-inch 1920x1080 one (iMac at my previous job) does not feel like much. But if the pixel density keeps growing, 24-inch 3840x2160 (Dell P2415Q I am currently using) certainly makes a difference to my eyes. Here the increase of angular pixel density crossed a threshold.

CGI rendering is compute intensive. It took my dual Xeon E5-2680 machine over two minutes to render a single static frame of KiCad board model in 4K using ray tracing, the standard way of rendering CGI movies. It took Blender Foundation no less than three months on a render farm to render their 15-minute CGI animated short Sintel at full 4K resolution. To render a 90-minute feature film using 4K means a year and a half just on render farms alone. Rendering in 1080p cuts the render time to 25% of that with native 4K so it makes financial sense to upscale.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2019, 04:48:41 pm »

Small steps may not be impressive, but when it accumulates it makes a difference.

For display technologies I certainly have something to say here. For a long time my monitor was a 22-inch 1680x1050 Lenovo OEM unit. Moving from that to a 21.5-inch 1920x1080 one (iMac at my previous job) does not feel like much. But if the pixel density keeps growing, 24-inch 3840x2160 (Dell P2415Q I am currently using) certainly makes a difference to my eyes. Here the increase of angular pixel density crossed a threshold.

No you have totally missed the point. The bigger the screen gets the further away you sit so your angle oy view is constant. You will reach a point where there are enough pixels. Unless you plan to have lats of data on your screen and sit very close 4K is all you need and already in excess of what standard vision can appreciate. If you are watching a film you won't be panning your head around will you? so why do you want more angular resolution than you can see? I bought a big screen so that i could sit further away from it for the same angle of view. If I use my 27" 4K screen i will sit closer to it so same angle of view and same pexels per degree.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2019, 05:05:43 pm »
No you have totally missed the point. The bigger the screen gets the further away you sit so your angle oy view is constant. You will reach a point where there are enough pixels. Unless you plan to have lats of data on your screen and sit very close 4K is all you need and already in excess of what standard vision can appreciate. If you are watching a film you won't be panning your head around will you? so why do you want more angular resolution than you can see? I bought a big screen so that i could sit further away from it for the same angle of view. If I use my 27" 4K screen i will sit closer to it so same angle of view and same pexels per degree.
There are films (and other media) out there that you are supposed to pan your head around. There are dome-screen IMAX cinemas out there that requires some head panning to see the whole thing. Some people play games with three monitors (or an ultra-wide one) that is curved and reach way out of their field of view, as those games are supposed to be played that way. Quite a few exhibits at 2018-2019 Shanghai Biennale used that concept, but at least to me it can be hard to understand (although I am not sure whether it is the contents that I failed to grasp or the technique that lost me.) This kind of hyper-field-of-view media requires some paradigm shift in directing and screenwriting to work, and very few directors and screenwriters can currently do that without making viewers dizzy, so it is not common yet.

As of 8K transmission, even without 8K displays it can still make sense to transmit 8K media in the public feed. One example would be sending multiple camera angles at the same time and allow the viewer to select it on their own and/or enable full-resolution 3D - use one 8K stream to carry 4x 4K feeds, or 2x 3D 4K feeds for example. This can be popular in, for example, sport events.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:08:47 pm by technix »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2019, 05:14:47 pm »
There are films (and other media) out there that you are supposed to pan your head around. There are dome-screen IMAX cinemas out there that requires some head panning to see the whole thing. Some people play games with three monitors (or an ultra-wide one) that is curved and reach way out of their field of view, as those games are supposed to be played that way. This kind of hyper-field-of-view media requires some paradigm shift in directing and screenwriting to work, and very few directors and screenwriters can currently do that without making viewers dizzy, so it is not common yet.

As of 8K transmission, even without 8K displays it can still make sense to transmit 8K media in the public feed. One example would be sending multiple camera angles at the same time and allow the viewer to select it on their own and/or enable full-resolution 3D - use one 8K stream to carry 4x 4K feeds, or 2x 3D 4K feeds for example. This can be popular in, for example, sport events.

Now you are distorting the argument. We were talking about filming resolutions not gaming output where if you listen to linus lower resolution and higher framerate is preferd. No it does not make sense to send 8K transmissions even with multiple images in the frame because the screen is still the same size! I repeat, it's not about the content it's about how it is viewed. You cannot appreciate a resolution higher than 4K, you would struggle with 1080p and 1440p would be the most I'd worry about if it was there at no extra cost. I can see the point of 4K shooting in that you get more detail to play with in production and hey if it's available in 4K I don't have a prblem with that but 8K is pointless and anyone claiming to see the difference at the same angle of view is lying, 1080p to 2160p, yea some can tell the difference if the look so I personally am happy viewing in 1080p but at 4320p you should just go and buy penis enlargement pills!

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2019, 05:42:45 pm »
We were talking about filming resolutions not gaming output where if you listen to linus lower resolution and higher framerate is preferd.
I am talking displays that goes beyond human FOV, regardless of resolution. That makes sense on its own regardless of what type of content is being shown, be it games or video, although content producers (and apparently you) need some paradigm shifting before start producing (or understanding) such contents. Avant garde artists are already experimenting with the general idea of breaking the boundary of human's front-facing field of view in audiovisual art and make the viewers' heads (at least eyeballs) move a bit while experiencing the work. As in, you are supposed to pan your head viewing that type of work. This stuff goes beyond the state of the art, and I don't blame anyone for not being able to wrap their minds around it for now.

No it does not make sense to send 8K transmissions even with multiple images in the frame because the screen is still the same size! I repeat, it's not about the content it's about how it is viewed. You cannot appreciate a resolution higher than 4K, you would struggle with 1080p and 1440p would be the most I'd worry about if it was there at no extra cost.
Be it four individual streams or four images stitched into a single video frame, multi-stream transmission needs technology that can cover all the pixels. It is much easier to define a multi-stream standard using stitched frames, as it turns what is a supposedly messy situation into a much simpler, single high resolution video stream plus multichannel audio scenario that can be easily covered by extending existing single-stream surround-sound public broadcasting technology. You don't see all the extra pixels anyway as it is cropped out in your TV, however those data must be there just so your neighbor can switch to a different camera angle than you do yet the broadcaster do not need to add another broadcast stream to handle that.

I can see the point of 4K shooting in that you get more detail to play with in production and hey if it's available in 4K I don't have a prblem with that but 8K is pointless and anyone claiming to see the difference at the same angle of view is lying, 1080p to 2160p, yea some can tell the difference if the look so I personally am happy viewing in 1080p but at 4320p you should just go and buy penis enlargement pills!
Shooting in 8K for a 4K production allows certain fixes to be applied without affecting the quality of the final 4K output. You get redundancy in source material, allowing errors to be covered up seamlessly. A simple example would be cancelling out a slightly shaky camera, as it sacrifices pixels around the edge to compensate for camera shakiness. Also it allows up to 2x pixel-perfect "digital zoom" so editors can get some headroom for post technique. Even for a perfect 8K source the downsampling process averages 4 pixels into one allowing the inherent noise on the image sensor to be averaged out into something color correction can fix.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2019, 06:12:05 pm »
Ok this is pointless. We were talking about YouTube production and conventional TV, not art instalations and 360 degree video but by all means carry on talking to yourself. I stopped reading your response at the first paragraph as you are going off topic and just want to be right.

Offline Sparky49

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2019, 06:31:08 pm »
Ok this is pointless. We were talking about YouTube production and conventional TV, not art instalations and 360 degree video but by all means carry on talking to yourself. I stopped reading your response at the first paragraph as you are going off topic and just want to be right.

With respect, you seem to just keep repeating "it's pointless" (which is only your opinion), and continually ignore the cases presented to you.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2019, 06:51:46 pm »

With respect, you seem to just keep repeating "it's pointless" (which is only your opinion), and continually ignore the cases presented to you.

i was refering to someone that to push an argument for 8K live transmissions has now gone off topic and is talking about totally different things.

"with respect" get yourself a 43" 4K screen fill it with alternate white and black dots sit 1m from it and tell me what you see, can you clearly focus on a single point - no you cannot. I am sorry but I cannot help it if people want to push things that defy human appreciation and therefore have no technical validity. But if it makes you feel better go for it. Linus clearly has the money to buy the kit and pay people to do the slower processing just so that he can annonce to his audience that it was filmed in 8K as though they can tell the difference but sure once you tell everyone i am sure that even the 1080p viewers will swear that they can see the diference between 2160p shooting and 4320p shooting.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2019, 07:07:49 pm »
As someone mentioned above, compressing 8k source vs 4k source to a same size output likely will produce less block artefacts and better visual on dynamic scenes, which make sence to me.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Sparky49

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2019, 07:53:56 pm »
i was refering to someone that to push an argument for 8K live transmissions has now gone off topic and is talking about totally different things.

"with respect" get yourself a 43" 4K screen fill it with alternate white and black dots sit 1m from it and tell me what you see, can you clearly focus on a single point - no you cannot. I am sorry but I cannot help it if people want to push things that defy human appreciation and therefore have no technical validity. But if it makes you feel better go for it. Linus clearly has the money to buy the kit and pay people to do the slower processing just so that he can annonce to his audience that it was filmed in 8K as though they can tell the difference but sure once you tell everyone i am sure that even the 1080p viewers will swear that they can see the diference between 2160p shooting and 4320p shooting.

I have never tried a black and white pixel test, but at only 1m on a 43" display I can very clearly see pixels in a 1080 display - it is clear even on my 22" 1080p desktop monitor. Maybe I would like to see crisper outlines on my displays, with fewer jagged edges - maybe not. Either way, with a 12 year old PC I don't think it could handle 4k, and I don't need to change atm, so I won't. Doesn't make it 'pointless' to upgrade though - I just have different priorities to other people. Regardless, are we are now perhaps shifting the goalposts from moving objects in a video to static images? If so, then talking about black/white pixel tests seems to be diverging from the topic (why might Linus Tech Tips use or need 8k equipment for videos) just as much as 8k live transmissions - perhaps.  :)

Many times people in this thread have given technical reasons for shooting in 4k (or higher), whether that's for reframing video, lower artifacting, but you seem to keep ignoring that because you want to be right.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:05 pm »
Consider the following test pattern (click to open in your browser; view in 100%/excat pixels):
https://www.nominal-animal.net/answers/test-pattern.png

Left half has 50% B/W checkerboard pattern, right side is 50% gray.  (They probably won't have the same brightness on your display because of gamma correction; it might have helped if I'd added an sRGB chunk to the PNG.)
Each half has four "Test" words.  First two are antialised, the second two not.  Second and fourth have a thin black outline for enhancing the separation from the background.

The question is, can you tell the left side background is patterned and not an uniform shade of gray?
Is there a visual difference between the two pairs of "Test" words, on either side?

If the answer to both is no, then your display at that particular viewing distance has higher resolution than you can visually perceive, and increasing the resolution (while keeping the viewing distance the same) won't make a difference even in computer use.

The following users thanked this post: Sparky49, cpt.armadillo

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2019, 09:40:10 pm »
Linus did a video on a Sharp 8k TV recently, he clearly reflected the effort involved. He has recommend getting a 1440p screen over 4k many times, for cost or refresh rate, etc. Of course he gets excited about new tech and pushing the limits of the tech, thats his personality. Whether the tech is useful/meaningful is irrelevant, its interesting, just don't take the videos at face value.

Pay isn't a lot for his staff afaik, but they get to use high end gear, work on their own ideas for projects and have a fun place to work, so it balances out somewhat:
https://ca.indeed.com/salaries/Writer-Salaries-at-Linus-Media-Group-Inc.,-British-Columbia

I'd rather see employers like him over what I've experienced any day of the week.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2019, 09:47:35 pm »
Offtopic: I've watched the video in the first post. I think someone should donate an anti-static wrist band to Linus. Maybe he is wearing an ankle strap but the work area doesn't look like a typical ESD safe environment. It just made me cringe a little.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Sparky49

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »
Consider the following test pattern (click to open in your browser; view in 100%/excat pixels):

Left half has 50% B/W checkerboard pattern, right side is 50% gray.  (They probably won't have the same brightness on your display because of gamma correction; it might have helped if I'd added an sRGB chunk to the PNG.)
Each half has four "Test" words.  First two are antialised, the second two not.  Second and fourth have a thin black outline for enhancing the separation from the background.

The question is, can you tell the left side background is patterned and not an uniform shade of gray?
Is there a visual difference between the two pairs of "Test" words, on either side?

If the answer to both is no, then your display at that particular viewing distance has higher resolution than you can visually perceive, and increasing the resolution (while keeping the viewing distance the same) won't make a difference even in computer use.

fwiw, at about 1m from my 22" 1080 monitor the answer to both is, yes, clear as day. :P

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2019, 09:58:58 pm »

I'm running at 1440p. When sitting upright, I can see the pattern. When leaned back (= higher distance) I can no longer see the pattern directly but the text edges are noticeably grainier.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2019, 10:11:24 pm »
Offtopic: I've watched the video in the first post. I think someone should donate an anti-static wrist band to Linus. Maybe he is wearing an ankle strap but the work area doesn't look like a typical ESD safe environment. It just made me cringe a little.

Its not an ESD safe environment, and no he doesn't care:
- Humidity here is about 60% right now, and is generally high almost year round
- PC gear should be reasonably ESD protected on exposed connectors
- PC cases are going to be grounded

That said, his electronics failure rate is quite high, some might be explained from ESD that or from tossing around gear and pushing stuff to its limits.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2019, 10:16:14 pm »

I can see the diferrence and i can guess particularly after being told that the left is some sort of pattern but i could not describe it to you. I certainly cannot point to a pixel. Now if it were moving even at a slow speed I certainly would not spot the pattern with ease.

This is of course an extreme example and not representative of actual usage. Most images and video will have far less change in graduation between pixels so it would be even harder to pick out pixels. 4K with a normal viewing angle is the limit of what we casually see. even after some processing at 4K I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference as artifacts between pixels will be so small.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2019, 10:28:31 pm »
As someone mentioned above, compressing 8k source vs 4k source to a same size output likely will produce less block artefacts and better visual on dynamic scenes, which make sence to me.

Will it? using a higher resolution will hide artefacts as they are smaller, at 4K artefacts between 2 or 3 pixels will be hard to spot particularly on mation, so at 8K they will dissapere, they are still there and if you later want to "zoom in" well you can't. There is no having more for less unless you have a better compression algorithm. It makes sense to work one step above where you want to be so that the end result is as clean as possible, A bit like using a 14 bit ADC when the higest 12 bits are all you need but by simply discarding the last two bits any noise goes away but at 8K versus 4K if you are going to throw the data avay anyway why bother? It's like having a crappy DSLR and knowing you can never use it at it's full resolution as it will be grainy, same as using a higher quality one with half the resolution. As i mentioned above i used to turn out 50Mp images from a 8Mp camera with superb quality, you could zoom right in to the pixel level and see great detail. But to do that i basically shot everything twice over by using a 50% overlap between frames and merged the images with panoramic software. That was justifyable as a one off photo and art peice and i have not bothered in years now.

But if at 4K you can scarcy see blemishes in a decen quality image and you shooting journalism/talking head etc I still don't see why the effort to go higher other than bragging rights.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2019, 11:06:45 pm »
The advantage of a quality created 4k youtube upload is if you watch that video downsampled to 1080p, it looks almost as good as an authentic 25-50mbit bluray.  1080p youtube uploads are smeary and the difference is clearly visible on my 90 inch 1080p video projector.

Now, at that size, youtube 4k video played at 4k is actually smeary compared to an authentic 4k UHD Bluray (which was filmed in at least 4K which most Hollywood productions aren't), so, if you want true 4K quality, once again you might need to watch an 8k youtube video downsampled to 4k.  However, with any display below 60 inches, I rarely see a use for true full 50mbit 4k video.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2019, 11:19:30 pm »
Yup, that is the most extreme example.  Things like viewing angle, color reproduction, dynamic range, and so on are much more important.

Besides, Youtube videos are quite heavily compressed.  The effective resolution is somewhat less than the actual resolution.

Just as a personal hobby, I've done some research on psychovisual perception, specifically into how to control the information density, and the information conveyed to a human observer, when describing atomic structures.  For example, when you have a model of a molecule, or say some nanotubes and clusters in some interesting configuration, doing a "photorealistic" rendering -- as if the atoms were marbles, often interatomic bonds described using sticks -- can give the utterly wrong intuition as to what is important in the picture.  It is as if some people saw a completely different thing than others.  You need explanatory text, and tell the viewers what to look for, completely the opposite what the old "a picture says more than a thousand words" proverb states!

The best-working solutions I found was simplification, and leveraging cartoon imagery: cel shading, outlines.  In particular, varying outline thickness to establish the depth difference at an edge (so that an edge with the background close to the edge is thin, but an edge with the background far away is thick), works for molecular models better than e.g. photorealistic shadows do.  (A combination of cel-shading, simple penumbra shadows, and dark edge thickness control, seems to work best, although my human test victimsubject sample is tiny.)
(There is no physical reason why that is so, though.  My guess is that it helps the visual centers in the brain separate the visual entities better, and acts like "visual annotation" helpers for the human brain.  Similar to, say, speed lines in comics, that probably works by "hinting" to the brain that "this part of the background is perceived as blurry, because there is motion here".)

For photographs and video, you almost never get perfectly horizontal or vertical edges with a full 100% intensity difference between neighboring pixels.  This is the main reason why DCT/iDCT compression methods work so well.  For video, a much better test is something like how small text (compared to the size of the display) you can read at standard distance, or how narrow a moving and rotating wire or string you can perceive on top of different backgrounds.  It is also possible that DCT compression followed by downsampling and then recompression yields a better visual quality with the same bitrate than downsampling alone, although I haven't seen any research into that; it's just a personal guess.

Sharpness in itself is not an end goal.  As long as there have been movies, filtering ("smoothing") human faces has been used as a cinematic effect to bring something ethereal, "more beautiful than nature" quality to the visuals.  If you can perceive more in the face of some person displayed than in real life (where the faces cover the same solid angle in your vision), you get another "uncanny valley" effect; you lose the immersion effect.  You really only need sharpness for details humans will try to perceive.

Finally, the human eye is not an uniform sensor (it is sharpest at a small region, with relatively poor resolution elsewhere, more suited for motion detection), and even when we see something, we may perceive it differently.  It is trickier than you might think.  Here's an example:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:23:38 pm by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, cpt.armadillo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf