Author Topic: Linux Code of Conduct claims a victim  (Read 4166 times)

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Linux Code of Conduct claims a victim
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 09:42:00 am »
This thread is really in danger of becoming political.

The following users thanked this post: JohanH, newbrain

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 09:43:53 am »
When you have gone so insanely far left, everything even a little on the right side of you seems far right.

"insanely far left"

Are you sure you are that good at judging characters and political viewpoints through the internet? It looks to me (again could be my misinterpretation of written text on the internet) that anything remotely "left" these days are judged as being "insanely far left". By that measure, all of the northern Europe would be "insanely far left" as I feel I have views aligning to the majority of population in these countries in EU.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 10:05:46 am »
The problem is, like EEVBlog said, the US is going batshit crazy. And this on many fronts.
I call "media bias" on this. Just because there are loud groups, represented a lot in the media does not mean they are that many or that all of it conveys objective truth, it's usually just the extreme ends of a spectrum (or several spectra) over a standard distribution.
It's not chilling to watch, but i don't expect Joe Average going to work make news.

I can't tell who started it, but the so called "SJW" group's reactions (if they can be called a group; there is no such organization) are definitely triggered by the hostility and agenda of the extreme right in the US. In fact on the extreme right this is not metaphorical anymore. You can't just blame one side, it all belongs together whether we want it or not.
In the moment people leave the actual subject (attendance of a Linux Conference), all sorts of biases kick in. The only sad thing is the effort wasted for this kind of sh*t and people that utilize that for their own personal gain.

Within netizens it is kind of a common occurrence that people discuss stuff that they think is interesting and once then they meet in person or suddenly politics comes up and they discover to have a different view on it. Open minded people kind of get along or just agree to disagree, but some think they need to make it the only topic from then on and get caught in the complexity of politics, opinions and subsequent attention economy. I don't need to know the political orientation of everyone i have to do with.

Support your local planet.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 10:10:49 am »
FYI, anyone who comes complaining to me about something someone is/said/done outside of this forum will be politely told to piss off and grow up  :P

This sort of crap almost destroyed The AmpHour BTW.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, wraper, DC1MC

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 10:18:43 am »

@SparkyFX

I agree with your post.

Sometimes it feels that the thing internet forums and social media is best at is lifting extreme views into focus and trying to enrage everyone over matters that in real life in face to face discussions wouldn't raise an eyebrow. That is of course what they live on (advertisement). It is nothing new, who remembers paper gossip magazines etc. It is just that this technology is so overwhelming that human minds have a hard time coping with the amount of information. We are not that good at processing information.

Offline mfro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2020, 10:43:48 am »
Anyone asked themselves why the original post warms up a 9 month old story just now?
Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2020, 10:48:21 am »
FYI, anyone who comes complaining to me about something someone is/said/done outside of this forum will be politely told to piss off and grow up  :P

Snort!

I'm not usually a fan of overt bluntness, but sometimes it is exactly the right attitude :)

tom66's comment about this thread becoming political makes me want to start a sweepstake about how long it will be before it is locked. (The sooner the better, since this can only generate IR without visible light).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
The problem is, like EEVBlog said, the US is going batshit crazy. And this on many fronts. I can't tell who started it, but the so called "SJW" group's reactions (if they can be called a group; there is no such organization) are definitely triggered by the hostility and agenda of the extreme right in the US. In fact on the extreme right this is not metaphorical anymore. You can't just blame one side, it all belongs together whether we want it or not.

The thing I don't get with the extreme hatred for Trump supporters is that it's practically half of the country.
Really, you are going to hate and fight with half the country? Geeze, chill out.

The vast majority of such supporters are unlikely ever to wear a MAGA hat, having the commonsense to not want to get into political arguments.
Those who do, are probably tough enough to live with any "pushback" from their political adversaries.

That said, I was remiss in not reading the complete OP's posting.
I wrongly believed he was wearing it to the conference.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 10:52:42 am »
Anyone asked themselves why the original post warms up a 9 month old story just now?

Didn't notice it was old news. Yeah, locked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf