Author Topic: Live giveaway draw - Used Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 12170 times)

Offline ShockTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Live giveaway draw - Used Keysight Scope Giveaway
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:24:41 pm »
Just got up and checked the live draw, I'm not sure if just missing it, but was I not included in the draw? I thought I entered in time here. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/keysight-scope-giveaway-63957/650/

I've not won anything on Eevblog before and thought my entry was valid. Did anyone else find themselves not included after they entered?

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: Live giveaway draw - Used Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:56:29 pm »
Script programming error? looks like the last 23 entries didn't get in.

1 based array and iterating as if it was 0 based?

Human error happens (sadly)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »
Script programming error? looks like the last 23 entries didn't get in.
1 based array and iterating as if it was 0 based?
Human error happens (sadly)

So you did check the video against the posts? I had a quick look and couldn't see this mentioned anywhere else on the forum.

It seems I was the only "super contributor" who was going to get like 12 something entries in as well of that last 23 that got scratched at the gate. If this is the case, commiserations to my fellow deletees. Bit of a bummer my chance was for naught that oscilloscope would be a nice upgrade and put to work.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:40:17 pm by Shock »

Offline Synthetase

• Regular Contributor
    • Synthetase's World of Nerd
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 12:56:05 am »
Did anyone else find themselves not included after they entered?
I wasn't.

...If this is the case, commiserations to my fellow deletees.
Cheers :)

We'll have a quiet drink in the corner together and talk of what might have been
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:59:06 am by Synthetase »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:11:31 am »
If it's any consolation - I was there in spades (12 entries) and didn't come within cooee of a scope.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:27:52 am »
Commiserations guys.  :(

No idea if I made the list - couldn't see it.

C'est la vie  :)
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 02:22:23 am »
I went and checked, and sure enough, the original data stopped at Clifford's entry. So the entire last page was missed, plus one more entry on the 2nd last page.
No idea how this happened. The script was run on the 16th after the  thread was closed.
Perhaps David2 can shead some light.
Sorry  :-[

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:50:30 am »
Murphy strikes again!  |O |O

I'm sure those affected can handle the disappointment though. :-+

For any future draws, you should perhaps put some controls in place to verify that you have the correct number of entries that you expect to be in your spreadsheet after any script/macro  run. :-//
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 03:50:56 am »
I have no dog in this, but I would like to suggest that the draw should be done again with all the entries. This would only seem to be the fair thing to do.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:52:28 am by Lightages »

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 04:06:27 am »
Too late for a re-do, I think... maybe give them extra entries next time?  Or an extra consolation giveaway.

Btw this is why a lot of giveaways have "all decisions are final" in the Terms & Conditions... so even in the case of mistakes, once the draw is closed people can't contest it (pardon the pun) to be reopened.  Otherwise it could drag on and on with re-dos and re-counts.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 04:10:53 am »
It would be especially bad for the current winners - I'm sure they would feel aggrieved if they missed out on the second (/third/fourth/....) running of the draw! :box:

Let sleeping dogs lie and possibly compensate those who missed the draw - as ade suggests.  :-//

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 04:12:13 am »
Too late for a re-do, I think... maybe give them extra entries next time?  Or an extra consolation giveaway.

Btw this is why a lot of giveaways have "all decisions are final" in the Terms & Conditions... so even in the case of mistakes, once the draw is closed people can't contest it (pardon the pun) to be reopened.  Otherwise it could drag on and on with re-dos and re-counts.

And chads.  This is the way we vote for presidents in the US.  So I say if good enough for the US president, it is good enough for the EEVblog  :-DD
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 04:12:55 am »

+1 for this.

A redo would hardly be fair to  electr_peter.  The only rule that matters is that Dave makes the rules and can break them if and when he wants!

Ed

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 04:19:22 am »
There is no easy answer for this.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:30 am »
There is no easy answer for this.

Yes there is - it is over -  as Dave says - sorry

(I did not win either and I do not know if my name was in the lot and I do not care to know)
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 04:30:26 am »
It was Dave's scope to give away so his call, but retracting a winner will be worse than redrawing.

Of course some would love a redrawing but the ones that already got our chance already took our chance.

So if Dave decided to do it, the only fair way would be for electr_peter to have all of the entries of the previous drawing and sparkle the few entries that were not included. So either he keeps it or by the odd chance one of the missed entries get it.

Then again Dave's rules, so I doubt he will go for it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 05:30:18 am »
Just a suggestion, Dave:  How about another draw from those who were left out - for an EEVBlog BM235?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 05:40:34 am »
As with what Lightages said, it sounds fair on paper to let the winner keep it, but if the draw was flawed he didn't win fairly. It was a competition with 4% of the entrants left out who were just as likely and some even more likely to win as him.

For me it sucks a bit being left out, for those who got a chance or didn't have a horse running it's easy to quickly dismiss it as tough luck, just saying I would have liked my chance.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:20 am »
Ouch, that is a real bummer. I only had two entries so my odds weren't great but they were clearly a lot better then those who were left out.
VE7FM

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 06:12:15 am »
As with what Lightages said, it sounds fair on paper to let the winner keep it, but if the draw was flawed he didn't win fairly. It was a competition with 4% of the entrants left out who were just as likely and some even more likely to win as him.

A good lot of those who got accidentally left out likely had 30 chances to win the Keysight scopes.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 06:12:54 am »
Just a suggestion, Dave:  How about another draw from those who were left out - for an EEVBlog BM235?

I like the sound of that. I'll do it on my 2nd channel.

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 06:56:18 am »
Yes, I agree. The odds were good - better than I expected, but at around 150:1 it was still a long shot.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 07:07:52 am »
Let's all be careful to not come down on the winner. Yes the draw wasn't fair to those who got left out but that was through no fault of the winner. He did nothing wrong.

It is fair to let the winner keep it. Absolutely fair. It is much worse to take it from someone who has been announced as the lucky winner than it is for someone who still probably wouldn't have one it to deal with missing out.

I'm sure Dave knows it should have been checked carefully. Everything is clear with hindsight.

I'm not coming down on him at all, and I understand entirely it was an accidental mistake and no fault of his for winning. From a statistical standpoint he had quite a large advantage over me in winning. I hope you understand my point :).

A good lot of those who got accidentally left out likely had 30 chances to win the Keysight scopes.

Mostly US entries then? I really am king of the losers! ;).
The scope was one of the few things I've been interested in after you gave away the Keithley bench meter, but I managed to pick up a couple during my Christmas shopping. I know you know first hand the Stryalian test equipment handicap, which now the AU dollar is crap again, is back and more virulent than ever.

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 08:51:02 am »
I just had to check if I was in or out, and yes I was in and didn't win anything :)

But, I noticed one error (apart from my country being listed as UK), member with 346 posts got 6 entries, member with 251 posts got 5 entries, and member NiHaoMike with 2705 posts got only 4 entries?

Looks like the script has some issues.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 02:39:19 pm »
I just had to check if I was in or out, and yes I was in and didn't win anything :)

But, I noticed one error (apart from my country being listed as UK), member with 346 posts got 6 entries, member with 251 posts got 5 entries, and member NiHaoMike with 2705 posts got only 4 entries?

Looks like the script has some issues.

Apart from the UK thing the member with 251 posts had 6 entries, and that's because members with more than 100 posts and less than 1000 and belonging to a country that keysight didn't offer their scope month

US members like NiHaoMike and myself with more than 1000 posts were supposed to get 4 entries, so it all looks good.

As for your country, well you should have set it up. ;)

So other than the missing entries it seems the script was just fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf