Author Topic: Logging data on Rigol DS1052E possible?  (Read 6318 times)

Offline zerox61

Logging data on Rigol DS1052E possible?
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:56:35 pm »
hi, I just bought the rigol ds1052e. I just got some data i need to log and wondering how it can or if it can be done.

I need to log Vave, but need many values into 1 csv file.

for example i have voltages range from -15 to +15 incremental of 0.1v and i want to log the output for each of the input increments. (all into 1 single csv or xls file)

Thanks

ps i've spent hours trying to get it, but cant seem to find any option. surely there must be some way to log data with this.

Offline scrat

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Logging data on Rigol DS1052E possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:09:47 pm »
I'm not a Rigol owner (yet  :) ), and I'm not sure I've correctly understood your question, but if you are able to acquire the needed data, you would be able to log it into a file, by using USB cable to PC or USB stick, as far as I know from this forum and from the manual (export).
Is acquisition the issue?
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard

Offline zerox61

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:14:50 pm »
I think its more like the measurement rather than acquisition issue.

i'll try to make this as clear as i possibly can:

I want to measure the input/output characteristics on a certain circuit i have built. the input voltage can vary from -15v to +15v at +/-0.1v incremental steps. (-15.0, -14.9...., 14.9, 15.0 etc)

but instead of using my multimetre and manually typing 300 data points on Microsoft Excel, i want to try using the ds1052e to measure, store and export the data for me. (I want a graph of Vout vs.Vin)

I want to do this is because every time i tweak circuit i get new characteristics of the circuit and i will have to re-test all the data points again.

so, what I'm really trying to achieve is inputting a DC sweep on my circuit but have the results logged on my computer in a form of a graph.. hope that makes sense!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:21:30 pm by zerox61 »

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:30:40 pm »
Set it for XY mode and use a function generator on sweep.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Rhythmtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »
http://www.rigolna.com/pdfs/Programming_Guides/DS1000E_Programming_Guide.pdf

Looks like they have a programming guide, so you should be able to acquire the data through a computer then depending on how you want to do it attempt to populate an excel spreadsheet directly or possibly just output to a comma separated file that excel could handle. 

Offline scrat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »
Set it for XY mode and use a function generator on sweep.

...or just post-process your data on Excel, Matlab or something like that (even C/C++ on your PC).
If you only need to take a fast look at the circuit's response, then just use XY and sweep input (with infinite persistence on), while if you need more precise data perhaps an off-line processing (on the XY or on the two traces vs. time, doesn't make much difference) could be a solution.
Both ways allow you to make a manual sweep (but function generator will make it far better).
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard

Offline zerox61

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:50:27 pm »
hey, that is exactly what i need... but i don't have a signal generator at home... I think i found another way around- could not have done it without you, mike. thanks

I will use the roll time base and increase 0.1v from -15 to 15. I am using a DAC to convert my digital signal to input voltage, so i can just program a loop to simulate a sweep. But using this method, i noticed that high frequency response is terrible... lucky im only measuring DC output.

please advise if this is a crap idea.

ok.I take back the comment about terrible frequency response.. it can go pretty fast.. i had crappy scales when i was doing it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:55:06 pm by zerox61 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 04:30:35 pm »
how much of a time period are you looking at, at a time ? you might get away with the acquisition functions that you can then look back at

Offline zerox61

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:21:49 pm »
if i were to change the input manually, maybe 30 seconds? i need to have 300 input values.

But i think i got what i needed using the Roll time base. I didnt want to spend time on programming for the dso because i only want a quick test.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf