Author Topic: LOL, US imperial weight standards are base on the Metric System Kilogram!  (Read 31144 times)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
The fact that there are no other dwellings visible in the photo indicates that it might actually have been taken in the boondocks.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Need a reverse angle to assess the safety aspect. Looks to me like all the shots came from the house area, not toward it.

Like the direction matters? What looks like .30 calibre or bigger flying around near someone's house, either towards the house from the road the sign is on or vice-versa towards the road and you think there's a way it might be safe?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
The fact that there are no other dwellings visible in the photo indicates that it might actually have been taken in the boondocks.

Like it matters? Would the exact location somehow make shooting up a road sign anywhere, let alone near a residence a sane thing to do?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Out in the country there are few restrictions on discharging firearms. I'd be willing to bet the residents of that home were the ones responsible for those bullet holes. At any rate, none of this has to do with Metric System standards.

Here's an interesting fact about highway signs in the US:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/faq.cfm#question17

If an official signage change were to be done for the Interstate System, I wonder how the mile markers would be handled? Would they be replaced or just changed to decimal kilometers? There's tens of thousands of these so either way it wouldn't be cheap.

Online Nusa

• Super Contributor
Need a reverse angle to assess the safety aspect. Looks to me like all the shots came from the house area, not toward it.

Like the direction matters? What looks like .30 calibre or bigger flying around near someone's house, either towards the house from the road the sign is on or vice-versa towards the road and you think there's a way it might be safe?

Certainly what's in the background matters. One house doesn't tell how many houses are in the area. What if the reverse angle looks like:

Like it matters? Would the exact location somehow make shooting up a road sign anywhere, let alone near a residence a sane thing to do?

What does sanity have to do with gun safety? I'll certainly agree it's illegal to shoot up the sign, but that doesn't necessarily make it unsafe or insane.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 04:52:32 pm by Nusa »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
What does sanity have to do with gun safety? I'll certainly agree it's illegal to shoot up the sign, but that doesn't necessarily make it unsafe or insane.

As they say: "Only in America...".

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
If an official signage change were to be done for the Interstate System, I wonder how the mile markers would be handled? Would they be replaced or just changed to decimal kilometers? There's tens of thousands of these so either way it wouldn't be cheap.
The same way it has been done before elsewhere - as they crumble and the need for re-surveys comes up road-by-road they will be replaced over time with both system in parallel during the transition period.

Offline boffin

• Supporter

In some states there's no possibility of road signs reaching their retroreflective 'sell by' date, they're too full of bullet holes way before that rolls around:

As a kid we'd drive up and down I5, and I always remember the sign saying "no shooting within 1/2 mi of a rest area" was always full of bullet holes.  Even as a 5 yr old I thought how ironic that was

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
This is an example of how guns should not be given to idiots.

Unfortunately it's those same idiots who are in power, and who refuse to put in adequate gun control.

I don't want guns to be illegal, and I want the right to own a gun to be available in every city in every state, but there needs to be a limit.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline tronde

• Frequent Contributor
It seems like some of the US has turned to metric.
https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/local_rural/training/fhwasa09025/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf