Author Topic: Looking for a master’s degree in Spain  (Read 1194 times)

Offline JuanGgTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My personal blog
Looking for a master’s degree in Spain
« on: August 16, 2022, 06:11:06 pm »
I’ve recently completed the third year on my four-year bachelor’s in industrial electronics & automation and I’m looking for a master’s degree in the electronics/telecommunications field, to study right after my bachelors.

What I’m looking for:
I’m making the good old spreadsheet with available masters here in Spain, going over syllabuses and taking notes. One or two years are fine and I wouldn’t mind if it were taught in English.
But most importantly, any recommendation/opinion/experience from someone who has undertaken or has any references about any of these masters would be of great help. I’ll ask my teachers as well.

Background:
I have taken some basic circuit theory, fundamental analog and digital electronics, some power electronics and a couple control theory courses.
Next year I’ll be taking some instrumentation, programmable logic devices and microelectronics courses as well.

I have found the electronics courses in my bachelor’s quite “underwhelming” for lack of a better word (i.e. analog courses don’t mention active filters or comparators != op-amps, hfe is as constant as pi…, microprocessor courses don’t mention the call stack, and other atrocities) and I’m looking for a general electronics masters degree to fill in the gaps so to speak.
Things like fields and waves, transmission lines, noise, linear regulators, ADCs, DACs, PCB design, embedded development & programmable logic, signal processing, filters. Some RF stuff or microelectronics would be nice as well.

As someone somewhat passionate about the field, I’ve been teaching myself electronics for the last four or five years though the Art of Electronics (& LTAoE), personal endeavors and other books and sources, and I know for a fact that I can learn more on my own than attending classes. Yet I would like to get “formal training” on what I consider “the basics”. A four-year degree (on not just electronics) just doesn't cut it. Later on, I can specialize on something.

Thanks,
    Juan

P.D. If there is a strong compelling reason to study abroad, I’m willing to do so (if financially viable).

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a master’s degree in Spain
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 09:20:13 pm »
Hello bravo for your efforts

Master degree is losing a,few years, perhaps no benefits for practical engineering

Fine if you are an académicien.

Get a job at a firm doing the kind of work you enjoy

Best experience is hands on not in a university.

Bon courage

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline JuanGgTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My personal blog
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 11:50:57 am »
Thanks Jon. Yes, I know. Yet I still feel that I'm lacking formal training. Also, for employability, and I could see my future in academia as well. If I don’t do it now, it’ll be harder later on.
    Juan

Offline Lypemania

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 09:45:11 am »
Randomly found this thread, so how are your achievements after a time?

Offline JohnGarcia

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 10:20:50 am »
I’ve recently completed the third year on my four-year bachelor’s in industrial electronics & automation and I’m looking for a master’s degree in the electronics/telecommunications field, to study right after my bachelors.

What I’m looking for:
I’m making the good old spreadsheet with available masters here in Spain, going over syllabuses and taking notes. One or two years are fine and I wouldn’t mind if it were taught in English.
But most importantly, any recommendation/opinion/experience from someone who has undertaken or has any references about any of these masters would be of great help. I’ll ask my teachers as well.

Background:
I have taken some basic circuit theory, fundamental analog and digital electronics, some power electronics and a couple control theory courses.
Next year I’ll be taking some instrumentation, programmable logic devices and microelectronics courses as well.

I have found the electronics courses in my bachelor’s quite “underwhelming” for lack of a better word (i.e. analog courses don’t mention active filters or comparators != op-amps, hfe is as constant as pi…, microprocessor courses don’t mention the call stack, and other atrocities) and I’m looking for a general electronics masters degree to fill in the gaps so to speak.
Things like fields and waves, transmission lines, noise, linear regulators, ADCs, DACs, PCB design, embedded development & programmable logic, signal processing, filters. Some RF stuff or microelectronics would be nice as well.

As someone somewhat passionate about the field, I’ve been teaching myself electronics for the last four or five years though the Art of Electronics (& LTAoE), personal endeavors and other books and sources (especially this one https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/leadership/ I used when I didn't have a time for such type of work at the uni), and I know for a fact that I can learn more on my own than attending classes. Yet I would like to get “formal training” on what I consider “the basics”. A four-year degree (on not just electronics) just doesn't cut it. Later on, I can specialize on something.

Thanks,
    Juan

P.D. If there is a strong compelling reason to study abroad, I’m willing to do so (if financially viable).
Randomly found this thread, so how are your achievements after a time?

Interesting what the author decided to do. As I see he has a huge volume of knowledge and his plans sound good. But there are a lot of opportunities to study in this field, so the choice might be hard.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:00:22 pm by JohnGarcia »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 08:18:26 pm »
Master degree is losing a,few years, perhaps no benefits for practical engineering

Uh, I would have said that about a PhD, sure, but not about a master's degree.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 12:27:56 am »

Uh, I would have said that about a PhD, sure, but not about a master's degree.

Around here, an MS is about 31 or 32 semester units.  It certainly couldn't take more than 3 semesters and can likely be done in 2.

I worked full time so mine took 3 semesters but just 1 year - there was a summer session available.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf