Author Topic: Looking for a SW tool to transcribe a .mp3 music file.  (Read 1424 times)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Looking for a SW tool to transcribe a .mp3 music file.
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »
NOTE: Yes, I'm also searching elsewhere as this is not a music forum, but, I though I would just ask here as well...

I have a piano synth solo track of a song I need transcribed into sheet music.  I'm looking for the best available public domain and perhaps paid software which can perform the task.

So far, I downloaded a demo versions of ScoreCloud and notation composer 3 and I'll begin playing around tonight.  This is my weekend project.  Any help, software links, tricks would be welcomed...

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Looking for a SW tool to transcribe a .mp3 music file.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:59:11 pm »
Would be way easier if you could find a MIDI rendition of the same song, but that's I guess like saying, it would help if you just got the sheet music anyways.

Me thinks that even if there were a program for this, it wouldn't work terribly well. Unless it's something very verbose and simple, I'd imagine there's just too much complicated stuff going around most songs to get good sheet music out of it.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 06:15:56 pm »
Would be way easier if you could find a MIDI rendition of the same song, but that's I guess like saying, it would help if you just got the sheet music anyways.

Me thinks that even if there were a program for this, it wouldn't work terribly well. Unless it's something very verbose and simple, I'd imagine there's just too much complicated stuff going around most songs to get good sheet music out of it.
No midi exists.  There are 1k$ studio audio manipulation tools which do it near flawlessly,  I need cheap and free.

Example,  Celemony's Melodyne: http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne
Note I am also trying their trial version if it has the feature enabled...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:17:58 pm by BrianHG »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 09:29:17 pm »
If it's a one-off and not too long, there's always the option of finding a musician with perfect pitch that finds such things easy to do by hand. Probably not for free, unless it's a good friend, but certainly a lot cheaper than $1K.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:43:40 pm »
Plot the file in the frequency domain, then detect the peaks and transcribe them to notes. You'll have to figure out how to determine if a peak is a note or merely a harmonic of another note.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 02:59:29 pm »
So Far, Celemony's Melodyne is in a class of it's own.  However, it very slow on my 3Ghz 4 core system.  It needs CPU horsepower!

As of now, everything else is lousy at doing the conversion.

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 02:26:52 am »
Really, get a musician to transcribe it. Just forget all the "transcribe for you" software ideas.

I use "Transcribe!" by seventh string software: https://www.seventhstring.com/

It has very good time stretching algorithms to slow the song down with adding too many artefacts.

I guess I would recommend that if you were doing this more than once.

Alternatively, you can achieve the same thing in a DAW. You could try using Reaper in evaluation mode, and slow down the MP3 as well (without affecting pitch)

Maybe can you post the MP3, or point to it on youtube?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf