Author Topic: How a passanger can land a 737  (Read 2941 times)

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How a passanger can land a 737
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2020, 10:30:28 am »
How about adding the ability to control the airplane through a real flight simulator, by a real pilot in case of emergency? This of course assumes that there is a real flight simulator that is close enough to get real time flight data from the plane.

All technology required for this is already available. The only disadvantage is that the simulator will recreate the plane's behavior maybe 95%, but there will be some things that the pilot can only feel when he was there, on the plane. Also, the data link bandwidth and latency requirements might not be guaranteed under all circumstances.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:50:48 am by taydin »
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
Re: How a passanger can land a 737
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 12:38:47 pm »
I have a pretty good Simulator setup at home, with the majority of real-world external (from the computer) controls, pedals, instrumentation, Nav etc. etc.  And I use them all properly, to simulate real flights. However, even 'I' would admit that to be 'thrown' into the pilot seat of a real Passenger Jet would be overwhelming!!  Sure, I would do better than someone who knows nothing, having extensive knowledge of speeds, flaps, stall speeds, decent rates/instruments, landing gear, nose pitch attitude, how to go around etc., but the COMMs/NAV instruments would be lost on me in the 'moment'. I'd rather do it myself, than my Missus who still can't reverse park after 40 years!!   8)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf