Author Topic: machine pin crimp that fits square pin header or molex with housing  (Read 879 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
if i want to interface with square pins I am only left with molex wing crimps, which I don't like.  I want a machine pin crimp that fits over the square pins, has the housing (meaning its crimped by a 4 indent crimper)

does this exist?

normal square pins for an arduino or something

an insulator cover is not necessary because I can put heat shrink and glue on it if i want with a syringe, but it does need a secure connection on standard size square pins. I had dubious results
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 05:32:55 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Re: machine pin crimp that fits square pin header or molex with housing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 11:29:53 pm »
From my experience the wire crimp side has been the least problematic for debug connectors on those cables, its the wide variation in the quality of the mating socket that makes them frustrating.

Trying to find a machine pin crimp for multiple cycles on pin headers, you know what they say about "square pegs in round holes"....

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 12:01:52 am »
i still want it and i don't want to buy another fucking crimp tool because molex is obsessed with stampings

id pay 3$ a crimp if it fits and goes into my tool

i swear to god ill put it in heat sink compound and braze it to another crimp with a microtorch, this is bull shit, i dont want molex oragami, i need it to go on expensive tektronix grabber clips anyway, otherwise I would modify them to have a round pin, but it is hard

actually it looks like the tektronix clip is round pin,  but the other clips have square pins
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 12:10:00 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 12:31:23 am »
actually it looks like the tektronix clip is round pin,  but the other clips have square pins
Don't look too closely at the old HP pin clips or it might offend you with their folded metal "pins".

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 02:15:29 am »
i am just going to focus on the round clips and ignore the square ones for now

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 06:09:09 pm »
Mill-Max has numerous female connectors expressly specified to work with some range of round pins as well as with 0.025” square pins. Check their catalog (if it’s running again… the pdf downloads were all messed up a few weeks ago) or their product finder. If you have no luck, lemme know and I’ll go check my parts bin, since I bought a few.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 01:56:15 am »
Mill-Max has numerous female connectors expressly specified to work with some range of round pins as well as with 0.025” square pins. Check their catalog (if it’s running again… the pdf downloads were all messed up a few weeks ago) or their product finder. If you have no luck, lemme know and I’ll go check my parts bin, since I bought a few.
Thanks! that ends up with a few options:
https://au.mouser.com/datasheet/2/273/180-1148543.pdf
0772 has a nice narrow body without any flanges and looks good for test probes.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 05:47:11 pm »
The 0722 is actually one of the ones I have, IIRC, but haven’t tested because I still haven’t bought an indent crimper.  :palm:  :clap:

OH! The other thing to try: D-Sub HD female terminals (size 22). Specifically, the kind that are basically a split tube. These come in various crimp styles (indent, F-crimp (the regular m-shaped crimp)), solder cup, etc. I’ve been using these for a while and they’re surprisingly good on square header pins.

For example, for indent crimp, look at Molex 1731120226.

I’ve been using ones similar to TE/ AMP 1658686, crimped on and then insulated in heat shrink, which not only insulates it electrically, but also gives it more tension on the pin.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 11:49:52 pm »
The 0722 is actually one of the ones I have, IIRC, but haven’t tested because I still haven’t bought an indent crimper.  :palm:  :clap:

OH! The other thing to try: D-Sub HD female terminals (size 22). Specifically, the kind that are basically a split tube. These come in various crimp styles (indent, F-crimp (the regular m-shaped crimp)), solder cup, etc. I’ve been using these for a while and they’re surprisingly good on square header pins.

Thats more what I think of as a "machined" socket, nice to hear they do work on square pins. Whereas those mill-max parts are a fancy tube with a folded sheet metal wipe contact inside them.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 10:59:35 pm »

Thats more what I think of as a "machined" socket, nice to hear they do work on square pins. Whereas those mill-max parts are a fancy tube with a folded sheet metal wipe contact inside them.
I know what you mean, but the vast majority of female contacts described as “machined” are the kind with internal sprung contact wipers. I’m not entirely sure what the precise pros and cons of each type are.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf