Author Topic: Maplin "Insurers cast doubt over future of Maplin" (now CLOSING stores)  (Read 55839 times)

Offline booyeah

• Contributor
I went into an Irish Maplin store today hoping to find one of the Manson bench power supplies or any other bargains, I left with nothing.

The store was fully stocked with signs saying more stock arriving soon.
The components section was closed. All of the components were moved up near the tills and bubble wrapped, with the component drawers for €30.

Overheard some other customers comparing prices, saying no wonder the store was closing.

I assume there will be a clearance sell off / auction at some point?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Dublin (Jervis) store appears to have had more stock arrive.  Lots of own brand stuff.  The prices are missing from approx 50% of stock.  60% a Maplin price can still be expensive.

The component cabinets are still there and have been joined by a pile of Fluke Socket testers.  No price of course.  I informed them of the recall, will see what happens to them.

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
So now that Maplin has gone, everything it sold is valuable right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maplin-Electronics-Catalogue-2013/282963224113?hash=item41e1ec2631:g:zcsAAOSwNOVa91YK

Somehow I don't thinks that's going to sell.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
If that sells I’m going to start buying canned goods and digging a bunker in my garden.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maplin-Electronics-Catalogue-2013/282963224113?hash=item41e1ec2631:g:zcsAAOSwNOVa91YK

The fact that it has pictures of people on the front and not electronics rather puts me off.

Now I wonder how much I can get for my 2004 Maplin catalogue  :).

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor

The fact that it has pictures of people on the front and not electronics rather puts me off.

On the basis that what's on the catalogue should be representative of what's available for sale......

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
They never sold giant space ships in the 80s. I wish they did.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
but they did know the stripes on the resistors wherent just for style back then!!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor

On the basis that what's on the catalogue should be representative of what's available for sale......

By that standard,  back in the day a lot of suppliers to the motor and mechanical engineering trades would have been in trouble. There was no way you could actually order a bikini clad dolly-bird from them, and if you could, I think the laws about human trafficking might have caused them some problems. The same applies to the people selling carded packets of peanuts in pubs.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
By that standard,  back in the day a lot of suppliers to the motor and mechanical engineering trades would have been in trouble. There was no way you could actually order a bikini clad dolly-bird from them, and if you could, I think the laws about human trafficking might have caused them some problems. The same applies to the people selling carded packets of peanuts in pubs.
In pubs the bikini clad, or unclad, girl only appeared after the sale of peanuts was complete, so that example doesn't count.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage

They're selling the staff off as well now?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
I’ll give you a fiver for the spotty one. I need a PFY.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Just passed Strand branch in Central London. Minimum 50% off everything, some as much as 80% but not much left. Some bargains in cable reels. Place a bit of a mess so hard to tell what some discounts were
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less

They're selling the staff off as well now?

Close to the knuckle in 2001: it went round HP like wildfire. Still valid now. http://www.satirewire.com/news/0105/loyal.shtml

LOYAL EMPLOYEES A VALUABLE ASSET,
SO NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO SELL THEM
Companies Can Get Top Dollar for Their Most Faithful Workers
Palo Alto, Cal. (SatireWire.com) — In an age when employees are labeled 'human capital' and workplace longevity is measured in months, some companies have finally begun to realize that a truly loyal employee is a rare and valuable asset that should be recognized, nurtured, and, ideally, sold to the highest bidder...........
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
I was in Canary Wharf and the Maplin there now has the Component Racks including components reduced again.  Was quite tempted with one for £20 that had a few ICs and transistors... but do I really need 29 NE555s in DIP?  Probably not.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Probably only £5 of parts from Tayda as well...

I’ve stopped ordering from them because it’s quite hard to hit the $5 min order sometimes.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
I was in Canary Wharf and the Maplin there now has the Component Racks including components reduced again.  Was quite tempted with one for £20 that had a few ICs and transistors... but do I really need 29 NE555s in DIP?  Probably not.

There was a Maplin at Canary Warf?  :o

I doubt they had enough turnover to pay the rent!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:46:14 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
There was a Maplin at Canary Warf?  :o
Still is. [Not for long] Selling drones to bankers.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
£20 isn't a bad price for one o f their component racks though, even if it's empty.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Yeah they drawers are worth a bit on their own, once you've cleaned the maplin employee slime off 'em ;)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Jetwash...

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
went again today,
the "discount" prices now look like everybody elses normal prices!!

i overheard some staff talking, it sounds like the liquidators want to screw the staff out of some of their wages!!!

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Homebase is a damaged brand, it has a reputation for being overpriced and not really focused on a particular market.
Bunnings would be better off getting rid of the Homebase name ASAP and using their own brand.

Looks like Bunnings have jettisoned Homebase for £1.  Taking a hit for 1 billion of those polymer Ozzie Dollars.

Australian retail conglomerate Wesfarmers is selling UK home improvement chain Homebase for a nominal £1 just two years after buying it.

The sale ends an embarrassing offshore adventure that cost Wesfarmers $1 billion and sows doubts about its future investments.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0525/965902-homebase-sale/

Excuse: They don't understand winter!  :palm:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:38:40 pm by Towger »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Fucking muppets  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf