Author Topic: Martin lorton needs a hand  (Read 66072 times)

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
Re: Martin lorton needs a hand
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »
Simple - people sub then lose interest. If subbers don't have email notifications on they probably forgot all about the channel.

Yep to both of those.
I had a video conference with the head of Youtube asia pacific a few months back and he confirmed one of the biggest problems is people don't know how to set up email notification. Hence my video at the time explaining how.

I watch all YouTube videos on a big TV using AppleTV and it's YouTube app.
This lists all the new videos of all the YouTube channels I subscribe too at the top of the screen.

I just turn on the TV, see all the new YouTube videos, pick one and watch it. :-+   I like it. :)

No need to set up email notifications and read your email. :-+

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:32:23 pm by Gary350z »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2016, 01:50:36 pm »
You realize Dave sells a lot of the stuff people send him, after doing a tear down of it, right? He already has a space issue as it is, plus the money helps him to keep doing what he's doing.

Err, no I don't. The stuff just accumulates, gets tossed out, or given away.
I think the only exception to that was when I sold some stuff for charity.

I swear at one time you mentioned auctioning the stuff off on eBay. Maybe it was on The Amp Hour? Now that I think about it, maybe you were talking about stuff you bought at auctions for teardowns?

Anyway, if people sent me stuff that I couldn't use and would otherwise just clutter up my lab, I'd have no qualms about selling it. I see nothing wrong with it, really.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2016, 01:53:47 pm »
Dave's style and speed is perfect  :-+

Thanks.
I do like to think I've gotten a lot better over the years. My videos are still long, but I like the think that there is a lot of information crammed into them.
My tutorial videos for example often get compared to 5 minutes ones, and people somehow think they are equivalent and don't seem to appreciate that mine cover 10 times the stuff  :-//

Dave,

Your videos are the right length. You get all the information across, not too fast, not too slow. :-+

Some producers like "GreatScott" make videos that are way too fast. I actually timed some of his recent videos.
He showed a schematic for 1.3 seconds, and his final project for 0.7 seconds!!!!!!   Ridiculous.
They are so fast they are not informative (or fun) anymore.
I was going to leave him a comment, but he posted a recent video saying his video length was correct and every body else's was way too long. So he's not open to improvement.

So keep up the good work Dave.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2016, 02:05:32 pm »
Some producers like "GreatScott" make videos that are way too fast. I actually timed some of his recent videos.
He showed a schematic for 1.3 seconds, and his final project for 0.7 seconds!!!!!!   Ridiculous.

Yes, that's the reason I don't like his vids. They are made exactly like tv ads, one cut every 1-2 seconds. And not very informative at all. Not even particulary entertaining or funny. I've always wondered how on earth he managed to get so many subs  :-//

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2016, 03:03:57 pm »

Yes, that's the reason I don't like his vids. They are made exactly like tv ads, one cut every 1-2 seconds. And not very informative at all. Not even particulary entertaining or funny. I've always wondered how on earth he managed to get so many subs  :-//

Most people seem to like videos like that for some reason, it's long youtube videos that seem to be the exception. I watch his videos every now and then when it's an interesting thing, but get a feeling at the end that I didn't get much out of it as it is so rushed.

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2016, 03:31:29 pm »
You also got to love Arduino.  ::)

He says the schematics and more pictures are available on his website, but well... this is way too fast, indeed.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2016, 03:37:09 pm »
I swear at one time you mentioned auctioning the stuff off on eBay. Maybe it was on The Amp Hour? Now that I think about it, maybe you were talking about stuff you bought at auctions for teardowns?

The latter.

Anyway, if people sent me stuff that I couldn't use and would otherwise just clutter up my lab, I'd have no qualms about selling it. I see nothing wrong with it, really.

I see nothing wrong with it either.
Test gear reviewers have to accumulate gear so that it can be used in future videos for comparisons, tutorials etc. It can sit there for years unused, and then, bam, you need it for a video.
There is never really anything spoken about who owns the gear. Some of mine have "Demo unit" stickers on them etc.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2016, 03:52:35 pm »
Dave,
Your videos are the right length. You get all the information across, not too fast, not too slow. :-+
They are so fast they are not informative (or fun) anymore.

I agree, but they are very well produced and massively popular. His recent surge in subscribers is very impressive.
Obviously they cater to a big market, potentially bigger than general purpose channels like mine and others will likely ever get.

I was going to leave him a comment, but he posted a recent video saying his video length was correct and every body else's was way too long. So he's not open to improvement.

He'd actually be very foolish to change. He is building a massive audience based on that style. I would suggest he does not change. Plenty of others cover the longer form electronics video market.

That's also a problem he and others like AfrotechMods (who does similar style videos) have. They have built an audience on a very specific style and length of video that it doesn't leave them much room to branch out into other content styles without alienating their audience big time. But channels like mine and Martin's and others that have been built on longer and more varied content and style, are free to do practically any style or length of video, or even topic without alienating our audience to nearly the same degree. We also have the option to move into shorter form video if desired as well, but Great Scott and others wouldn't have that same luxury I suspect.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2016, 03:58:20 pm »
I've always wondered how on earth he managed to get so many subs  :-//

1) The videos are well produced
2) They follow the Youtube "Playbook" (it's an actual thing) for style and general population attention span length.
3) He does lots of hacks and builds and stuff (Ben Heck style) that appeals to a much wider audience
4) His accent is cool  ;D

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2016, 03:58:28 pm »
I get the sense that GreatScott uses his videos to showcase the project more than to teach it, providing schematics, instructions and code in links below. It gets the views, but what else?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2016, 04:02:50 pm »

BTW, in more recent times I have been more aggressive in my editing, trying to shave off a few minutes from a 30 minute video for example, as I know every minute saved does ultimately help.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2016, 04:04:30 pm »
Is there any chance you could perhaps do a review on those early Applied Electricity books for say a way back Wednesday episode or two ?.

From what I heard it was a pretty decent outlay on your part to obtain them.   :-+
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:58:06 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2016, 04:15:29 pm »
Is there any chance you could perhaps do a review on those early Applied Electricity books for say a way back Wednesday episode or two ?.

Yep, and I was just talking to Tiernan about this the other day. This would be a classic example of my usual style of zero-prep shooting just randomly flicking throw pages would be a waste of everyones time and make for a boring video. It really needs a thorough prep of trying to find suitable interesting material and just showing those in order to keep the video as short and sharp as possible.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2016, 04:23:32 pm »
Maybe make a short list of important concepts in electronics and see how they described them back then? See if you can find an attempt to describe the unit of electric charge? (electron).

What other concepts? Long-distance DC transmission? (could be interesting to read about)

Offline Synthetase

• Regular Contributor
    • Synthetase's World of Nerd
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2016, 04:44:08 pm »
I've watched a few of mj's videos and got bored really quickly. So. Much. Waffle. In contrast, I've watched all of Mike's at least twice. Absolutely love your work, man!

On the subject of religion: Dave, while I agree that mailbag is for talking about the mail, I just don't see the point in having these arguments on an electronics channel. Having said that, it's not the bad old days of TV, so viewers can simply skip through it if they don't want to hear it.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »
It gets the views, but what else?

some money and a free Keysight scope ;D

4) His accent is cool  ;D

Accent? What accent? Check this guy...  :-DD

https://www.youtube.com/user/TRXBench/videos

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2016, 04:55:50 pm »
On showing a schematic for 1.3s - I remember an TV program on BBC in the late 80s or early 90s where they showed code at the end. It whizzed past (2 pages a second maybe) and what you were expected to do was record the program and then pause and skip page by page. I see GS's videos as the same. So long as it is on screen so I can come back to it, I dont see what the problem is. If he is talking about the design and only shows it for a second, fair enough. But even then - if I am interested I can pause. I have done it on Daves videos even!

I agree with the views that Martins videos are not as easy to watch. But I am sure some of his loyal fans would say the same about other channels we love. If he is no longer making money, he needs to either ask why and listen - or -  not do it as his job. Its up to him as an adult to ultimately decide - he does not have to listen to me, you or anyone else (well, maybe google!).

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2016, 05:00:17 pm »
I've been told by many German viewers that for some reason they can understand fast paced Australian just fine (hence my very large German viewership), but fast paced Queens English they have real problems understanding  :-//
I understand the same and I am from So Calif.  So if there is ever a world language, I vote for Australian English.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Nozzer

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »
I've found the Lorton videos very helpful especially in explaining how a modern digital oscilloscope functions. I agree they can be a bit long, but that is no a problem if you are engrossed in the topic.

Accents & dialects are something I personally enjoy and because I worked in London for 32 years I am used to having to communicate with people from all over the World. Australian accents remind me, oddly enough, of Danish, so I have a particular affinity.

Online IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2016, 05:20:09 pm »
One thing I noticed about Martin's video's, he obviously does a lot of research before each one. This takes great discipline as it's all too easy just to switch on the camera and waffle a bit.....................so kudos to Martin on that score.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2016, 05:25:51 pm »
I actually thought Martin was already working full time and Youtube was just a hobby thing, he only seems to release a video once or twice a month, surely that is not enough to make a living unless you got some serious sponsors like Ben Heck and does targeted sponsored videos with high production value.
Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »
I had a video conference with the head of Youtube asia pacific a few months back and he confirmed one of the biggest problems is people don't know how to set up email notification. Hence my video at the time explaining how.

I learned via this topic  (  :palm:  )   Maybe put a short, like 5 sec, standard ending in every video and tell how to do this.  Something like "To get email notifications on my new videos, click the wheel below"  and point to it.  This takes me 3 secs, I think you could do this in 2 secs.

I do not think anyone would object, after a few videos they can just stop because they will know what is coming.

I hate to admit that I did not know (it is hard to see that little wheel) and over the years I would wish that I knew when new videos were posted.  I am just glad I am not the only stupid one.  It will be a sad day when I am the only one  :-DD
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »
Nothing fancy - Panasonic HC-VX870. There's a surprising lack of any sort of easy feature comparison resource on the net

Hope you will make a video about how you picked it.

Also I hope you are not offended by the criticisms here.  It is because we all love you because you enrich our lives. 

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2016, 05:40:23 pm »
Also there is varying degree of English knowledge in Europe. Germans learn English second language, so some 70% speaks it. Same for most west European countries. In east Europe, its more like 30. And -10% in France.

-10% in France    :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2016, 05:47:53 pm »
My tutorial videos for example often get compared to 5 minutes ones, and people somehow think they are equivalent and don't seem to appreciate that mine cover 10 times the stuff  :-//

I like long videos, especially when searching on a subject.  YouTube has two time searches, less than 4 minutes and over 20 minutes  (very strange in my opinion)

When I do a search, I select over 20 minutes to weed out the kids playing around.  This was how I found EEVblog  :-+

A while back there was someone here making 2 min videos on scopes.  At the time I did not know about email notification and so I lost them because they never show up in my searches.  They were proud making short videos, I was bummed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf