Author Topic: Martin lorton needs a hand  (Read 65326 times)

Offline LazyJack

• Frequent Contributor
  • Yeah, cool.
Re: Martin lorton needs a hand
« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »
His brother does whisky videos ? What's the channel's name. LittleClive ?
Not exactly. It's Ralfystuff.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #226 on: July 21, 2016, 01:11:59 am »
Martin gives the impression that he does his homework very well, reads and prepares for what he is presenting, but some foundation stuff is missing and just cannot convince me that he really has a deep understanding in electronics. So things like when he was surprised on what the Fluke 87V measures in nS, or when on his power supply he thought that the 2N3055 was a power FET, these really destroy the authority of his videos.
This is exactly why I stopped watching his videos quite some time ago.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2016, 01:46:21 am »
I un-subbed from Martin a long time ago.  I came across him after liking Dave's stuff and looking for other EE content.

I also subscribed to Big clive, Photonic induction, Rossman, Retro Game Tech, Electron Update, Mike's electric stuff, Signal Path, w2aew, Feedback loop and some others I am forgetting. 

The reason I ditched Martin is because his videos seemed devoid of any technical knowledge - I think it was his machining video that really set me over the edge.  And his response to it was lackluster at best.  He definitely rambles on and takes 10 minutes to say what he could say in 10 seconds... and I just haven't seen any interesting topics come up in quite a while.

It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2016, 02:07:14 am »
I don't mind the adverts at the beginning - at least they are not for bloody Squarethingy or Audibabble which infest so many of my favourite podcasts and youtube channels :rant: >:D

I can't see how those Audible.com affiliate promos are sustainable.
IIRC they get $50 for everyone who signs up for at trial. That's great if you have a million sub, you might get a few thousand signing up, so it'll be nice for the first year or so.
But the problems then come down to:
a) Exhausting your existing audience.
and
b) Competing all the other bloggers in your space, and hence greatly overlapping audiences, they can only sign up for one of them...
The science Youtubers are a classic example of this where they majority share an audience, and they are all trying to get you to sign up to the same thing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2016, 05:02:11 am »
I think it's not hard to count almost a dozen sources of income that all will add up:
- Youtube ad money (although that's going down hard despite YT Red I imagine)
- Fixed video ads
- Sponsorship
- Merchandise
- Amazon affiliate links
- Patreon
- Advertisement on blog site and forum (although I'd imagine that is to cover server costs)
- "Consultancy" video work to appear in 3rd party content
- Selling of own (or rebranded for that matter) products
- Donations

For me my income breakdown (in rough order from highest to lowest) is:
- Website ads
- Forum ads
- Products sales (uCurrent, multimeter)
- Adsense (youtube + website sometimes)
- Patreon
- Amazon
- PayPal Donations
- T-Shirts

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2016, 06:08:34 am »
I roughly remembered watching one of his early show, and was very puzzled by his approach of asking viewers (strangers) to help him make a living on his youtube.  I would not even ask that from my parents after I graduated.  I do believe that the high quality content youtube, with targeted audience, can be very valuable to advertisers that are looking for these well filtered audiences to reach out to. 

Only if signalpath or mikeelectric want to milk their production, ...Mike had to be begged to open a patreon account.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2016, 06:10:16 am »
- T-Shirts
How about bikinis, ie branded male bikinis
ps I think the first time I saw someone wear one, was an Australian
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2016, 06:45:18 am »
i've been subbed to Martin's channel for a long time

it was all about solar power to begin with, but now for someone who does it full time he doesn't make that many videos and has drifted off topic somewhat.

Same, I found his solar power videos to be somewhat unique, as most out there not only lack depth, but are more interested in selling the product than explaining it.
Perhaps he painted himself into a corner by moving to the US with it's lower uptake of solar and 120V AC mains.

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2016, 10:34:26 am »
His brother does whisky videos ? What's the channel's name. LittleClive ?
Not exactly. It's Ralfystuff.
Thank you.

Offline vze1lryy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2016, 03:51:35 am »
One interesting thing I took away from this thread was the seemingly recurring opinion of "I unsubbed because he seemed to be making it up as he went..." Which is interesting, since for the most part, I make it up as I go.. I'm as unknowledgeable as they come, playing connect the dots with my D student high school education... I figured maybe it was the presentation, since I'm upfront with the audience that I am an idiot. Maybe this guy is pretending to be an engineer he is not? Wrong, when I go to his page he says presented from an amateur point of view. Interesting.

I get $45-$65/day from the videos I do, and that's only after 3 and a half years of consistent uploading... if someone is doing this for the money, they will fail. I made more than that putting pricetags on basketballs and it didn't take 3 years to build up to it. You have to enjoy it. For me it's easy since I am just recording me doing my profitable job, so I can continue with no patreon/ad revenue. Ad revenue does make it cool, and not make me feel like a dumbass when I go out and spend half a grand on one microphone or $1000 on some fancy microscope camera... but if that were the driving force, I'd have said FTS years ago. What I do like about this not being my prime revenue source is the freedom to record what I enjoy recording, and not caring about appealing to the peanut gallery... which ironically, appeals to the peanut gallery. Imagine that.

I wish him the best of luck with whatever he does!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:53:15 am by vze1lryy »
Louis Rossmann
Component level motherboard repair technician.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2016, 04:21:42 am »
I get $45-$65/day from the videos I do
Did you do a tear down of a million dollar scope?  I forgot who did it.
You could add your YT link in your profile like where your name is (which works also)
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2016, 04:56:01 am »
Did you do a tear down of a million dollar scope?  I forgot who did it.
YT -> rossmanngroup

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf