Author Topic: Massive ripoff attempt on next door neighbour thwarted  (Read 2959 times)

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
Re: Massive ripoff attempt on next door neighbour thwarted
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2023, 07:51:09 am »
There is a law of twos and threes, if you have client in the morning with something particular, that means that day there will be more clients with that same thing. Just the other week I went to a store wanting to buy a zener, and guess what, two guys in front of me were also buying zeners, and a guy after me came in to buy a zener. Crazy. No explanation why like this. It is just like this world over. If dude brings you dead macbook in the morning, that means you will see more macbooks that same day. But I digress..

I am waaaay long past over doing stuff for free for people. Because in the long run, after it is done and over with, they won't return you same favor, neighbor or not. One taxi driver comes to mind, I had a beat up office on 5th floor and next door was taxi dispatcher, so taxi drivers would come in. I fixed mic for one dude, just some wires. Time went by. Dude offered to drive me to supermarket several miles away for money and I knew for a fact I can drive there for less if I used the app, and I was waiting for the bus.  :-//

Good did never comes back, man. Above is just one example, but there are plenty of these examples.

If you did something for someone for free or cheap, there is a law of twos and threes, more people will come to you and expect you to do stuff for free or cheap for them. But, if you decide to take money for it!!! Ohhhhh... They will get butt hurt, turn around and leave, and then talk bad about you behind your back.

Don't do stuff for people for free! Ever! Take money even if you think the thing doesn't worth anything, because that is not true. If the thing didn't worth anything, the dude wouldn't come to you. If he came to you, that means it worth something for him, keep that in mind. Charge people money. Always.

Look, at the end of the day it does not matter if they think you're a good boy! Did this and that for free. At the end of the day matters if people think you worth something. They think you worth something when they spend money on you.  :blah:

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2023, 04:34:31 pm »
call-out fee, but nope, Bosch took it upon themselves to remedy the issue for free without me even asking. THAT'S service and it's the reason why I wouldn't hesistate to buy a Bosch appliance again. It's been

Same story here with a Nikon lens. It got faulty several years after purchase. I asked if it even could be repaired and they asked to send it in for a free repair. There was a free of charge service call several years ago that I that I failed to notice.

Online BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2023, 08:02:01 pm »
    And when you fix something for someone, for free or not, you will be responsible for ANYTHING that goes wrong with that product FOREVER.

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut, BrianHG, Dan123456

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2023, 08:10:13 pm »
What dishwasher do you have and what was the error code? We have a Bosch that threw an error code that I think was related to water collecting in the pan. So I wonder if it was the same problem as yours.

The model is a Siemens SN46M583AU (I think they also call it an IQ500). The error I was getting was E15 and the pump would run continuously when the unit was powered on.

The repairer said it only takes a small amount of water (less than half a cup) to trip the sensor under the sump. It's designed this way so you don't flood the electronics or cause more expensive problems.

They weren't specific about exactly which part was manufactured incorrectly (and I didn't ask), but Siemens/Bosch offered to replace it for free.

Do you have an online reference where Siemens/Bosch say a part was manufactured incorrectly?

Nope, this is just what was told to me by the repairer (hence not being charged for the service or part). The process I followed was:

1. Logged a service request through the "MySiemens" portal (you'll need to create an account).
2. Siemens referred it to a local repairer in my area.
3. Repairer came out, inspected it, ordered the part, then returned to replace it.
4. Job done, no charge.

I imagine there is probably some kind of note or recall attached to the model/serial number of my unit in the backend, so if they see this fault code, investigate the known issue.
I was never made aware of it, as I mentioned, I fully expected to pay for it as it was well and truly out of warranty by that stage.

Thanks. We got the E15 error again so we switched off the fuse for it in the basement. We left it for a few days hoping the water would evaporate, and it did. It's been running fine for a few days now. I may look into this portal if it keeps happening at more frequent intervals.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2023, 07:30:56 am »
Reading a product manual with completely serious instructions like "keep a 30cm open space on all sides of the appliance", for a fridge.

The reason for that is on the "new" fridges the condenser is built into the skin of the side walls rather than hanging a coil off the back, therefore you need convection space for air to circulate.

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2023, 08:41:06 am »
    And when you fix something for someone, for free or not, you will be responsible for ANYTHING that goes wrong with that product FOREVER.

Bullshit, and if any would try to hold you to that, tell them to get lost. But don't let that fallacy prevent anyone from helping anyone else.

But on a general note, it's a shame more people don't get into electronic repair as there's a decent demand for it. The unfortunate thing is that technicians with troubleshooting ability are so rare, and the good ones upgrade themselves to engineering.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf