Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 124671 times)

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #900 on: June 30, 2020, 04:16:53 pm »
Comments already disabled, I guess telling people what they can and cannot say is easier if you also delete all the historical words you disagree with.

hackaday also closed comments on the related article ( https://hackaday.com/2020/06/29/updating-the-language-of-spi-pin-labels-to-remove-casual-references-to-slavery/ ). Looks like they are supporting the initiative to the point of closing comments.
I am not liking where this is going, at all. I guess I'll have to re-think some of my usual sites and suppliers.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #901 on: June 30, 2020, 05:33:14 pm »
I really had to laugh about some comments in that topic.
What are we gonna call all the MSc in the world, SDSc ?  ;)

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #902 on: June 30, 2020, 05:59:12 pm »
 :-+ Troll topic of the month--congratulations!
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #903 on: June 30, 2020, 06:20:41 pm »
This is Jonathon Pie, a UK "angry" political comedian.

EDIT:  People slag the BBC off, especially when they ask us to pay like $200 a year whether we watch it or not.... but, the thing is, they aired that.  They aired Frankie Boyle.  No commercial TV network would dare to air that.  But because they do not rely on commercial sponsors and advertisers they can show whatever they like that's of interest to the public.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:27:23 pm by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: Echo88, GeorgeOfTheJungle, SilverSolder

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #904 on: June 30, 2020, 06:47:20 pm »
Sounding like I've changed sides.  Would you....

Consider a protocol which referred to roles and relationships such as Pimp, Whore, Trick inappropriate?

Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Mastro Gippo

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #906 on: June 30, 2020, 06:58:33 pm »
Well it’s change.org so that’s dead already.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #907 on: June 30, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »
It's always a good idea to try and examine the idea from a completely different angle, but it is important to not get caught in the mental holes; to be analytical and rational about it.

Consider a protocol which referred to roles and relationships such as Pimp, Whore, Trick inappropriate?
As far as I understand, "pimp" is someone who controls prostitutes, "whore" is a prostitute, and "trick" is either a prostitute's client, a cunning or deceitful action, or one of a few other meanings; and a machine cannot prostitute itself, as it is just an "adult toy" when used for any such purpose.  Also, I believe the term is "bestiality" if animals are involved.

Control, on the other hand, is perfectly generic relationship, and is only objectionable when the controlled one is a sentient being or an animal suffering due to mistreatment.  In a technical context, without anything alive, there is nothing objectionable in master-slave relationship.

So, I do not see the analogy or connection between the two sets of terms: One set has technically-relevant meanings, while the other does not.

(As to "trick", I often describe a particularly important but not immediately obvious part in either software or hardware as "the trick is ...", so I guess I already use that one.)

A better comparison would be to ask if "bleeder" instead of charger and "leech" instead of chargee/charged device would be inappropriate.  (I think charger is better since it directly relates to the thing transferred – charge – but would not consider "bleeder" and "leech" inappropriate or offensive either.)

The following users thanked this post: paulca

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #908 on: June 30, 2020, 07:13:32 pm »
That reminds me:  A lot of my programs utilize pools of worker threads.  Do you think they'll ban that, worker, too?

If "master" and "slave" are offensive in a technical context, having a "worker" do menial software tasks must be too, I guess.  :palm:

Offline Mastro Gippo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #909 on: June 30, 2020, 07:16:18 pm »
After blocking comments on the article, Hackaday also deleted almost all of the 200+ comments on the facebook thread: https://www.facebook.com/hackaday.io/posts/3518305734849345
It's interesting that of the 200+ comments that were there, only 16 are left. The community has spoken, but the hackaday fascists want to impose their way denying free speech. They have no respect for people, but want people to respect their ideology.

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle, WattsThat

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #910 on: June 30, 2020, 07:19:35 pm »
Sounding like I've changed sides.  Would you....

What about male and female plugs and sockets?   Surely such blatant sexism cannot be tolerated.

Offline Mastro Gippo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #911 on: June 30, 2020, 07:23:46 pm »
Also, this is not what I would expect from engineers. CIPO and COPI are simply retarded. Engineers solve problems (assuming there was a problem to begin with) smartly. There:

MISO = Main In Secondary Out
MOSI = Main Out Secondary In

At this point, it's clear that they only wanted free press, and we're giving it to them. What can we do to publicly tell what the actual community thinks? We thought that THEY (oshwa, hackaday, etc) were the ones who spoke for the community, and we gave them that power when they actually were doing good things. Now we don't have anyone to represent us but ourselves.

The following users thanked this post: nuno, SilverSolder

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #912 on: June 30, 2020, 07:35:46 pm »
That reminds me:  A lot of my programs utilize pools of worker threads.  Do you think they'll ban that, worker, too?

If "master" and "slave" are offensive in a technical context, having a "worker" do menial software tasks must be too, I guess.  :palm:

Correct. Subordination is the foundation of hierarchy. Hierarchy is the foundation of order and society.

If we erase this we’re, to use a technical term, fucked.

The following users thanked this post: paulca, Nominal Animal

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #913 on: June 30, 2020, 07:38:06 pm »
Also, this is not what I would expect from engineers. CIPO and COPI are simply retarded. Engineers solve problems (assuming there was a problem to begin with) smartly. There:

Hm, controller and peripheral? sounds like a controlling relationship where the victim is marginalized, how dare they normalize such behavior, clearly the controller is male and the peripheral female.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #914 on: June 30, 2020, 07:38:30 pm »

Workers are disposable.  They are spawned to serve a purpose and complete a task serving client, they are then immediately terminated and all resources they had held are released.  Any children they spawned are considered trash and collected along with their resources.

This could literally be a section from a software framework manual.  Or server daemons like Apache.... and don't tell me that apache.org is racist too, now?

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #915 on: June 30, 2020, 07:39:35 pm »

EDIT:  People slag the BBC off, especially when they ask us to pay like $200 a year whether we watch it or not.... but, the thing is, they aired that.  They aired Frankie Boyle.  No commercial TV network would dare to air that.  But because they do not rely on commercial sponsors and advertisers they can show whatever they like that's of interest to the public.

I love this guy, I wish he would put himself up for election. He always says exactly what i feel and struggle to articulate.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #916 on: June 30, 2020, 07:53:53 pm »

I love this guy, I wish he would put himself up for election. He always says exactly what i feel and struggle to articulate.

#jonathonpieforprimeminister

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:56:08 pm by paulca »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #917 on: June 30, 2020, 08:04:56 pm »
Tomorrow there is a protest against the use of the term totem pole. Thou shalt not not use totem pole outputs for 1 hour.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #918 on: June 30, 2020, 08:07:42 pm »
Führer Out Goebbels In / Goebbels Out Führer In
FOGI / GOFI

Culturally insensitive but everybody knows whos the commander.
Cant do that with Mussolini, he'll brown out under pressure during communication.

At first i was also headshaking about the topic, but then i remembered that i was never in their shoes, so we'd need to ask actual black people wether it seriously bothers them, not other persons who like to speak on behalf of them.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, bd139

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #919 on: June 30, 2020, 08:18:04 pm »
Hopefully this is a side storm that will fade.  Let them make their changes.  In 6 months when school starts back up properly and a few more of  the younger realise it's always sucked and... we already know that.

In a year we won't even remember this.

EDIT:  They are lighting a beacon, the purpose of which I hope we all support, but it's badly aimed, poorly focused and will be ultimately ineffective.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:21:37 pm by paulca »

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #920 on: June 30, 2020, 08:19:46 pm »

Funny thing is in many videos, he says one thing and the exact opposite, both equally as funny. I liked the one in which he interviews a feminist about the pay gap etc. It's hilarious.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #921 on: June 30, 2020, 08:33:22 pm »

Funny thing is in many videos, he says one thing and the exact opposite, both equally as funny. I liked the one in which he interviews a feminist about the pay gap etc. It's hilarious.

Yes that one is hilarious,The problem is people twist fact by not putting them into context and next there is a protest about it.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #922 on: June 30, 2020, 08:44:51 pm »
I found two of my male BNC connectors next to each other.
Are they GAY????
Maybe :-//

Here's what it looks like on mine for the record.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #923 on: June 30, 2020, 08:56:30 pm »
lovely couple.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #924 on: June 30, 2020, 08:58:04 pm »
but one did get a gender change so is the other one into transgender?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf