Author Topic: Master/Slave  (Read 23629 times)

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: Master/Slave
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 03:34:06 am »
Then there's the exact opposite of PC naming.
Take these items that already have a legitimate name, in this case a blocked chute limit

mostly called donkey dicks :D
Nothing like a bit of alliteration to get a name to stick

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 03:52:35 am »
How about we jump to the other end of the spectrum, and call it dominant, and submissive. Shortened to Dom and Sub to have the political correctness death spiral when a kid tries to hook up an arduino.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 04:00:20 am »
Leader/Follower?

(It could become a cult thing.)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 04:25:32 am »
What about connectors being the "outy" bit and the "stick it inny bits"? :P
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 05:10:14 am »
I'm sure everyone here remembers the un-PC ditty for the resistor color codes...

Whats wrong with "Big Beautiful Roses Occupy Your Garden But Violets Grow Wild"...  :o

I've seen it just memorized in order of the rainbow. For example, we start with BLACK, then BROWN as it is a mix between black/red, and then RED is next. So first 3 colors are BLACK, BROWN, RED. Then you have basically the rainbow starting with RED.... ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE, VIOLET. Then from violet you need to get to white on the end, so you have GREY in-between the violet and white, because if you mix violet and white, you get a light purple/greyish color (ok, it's a stretch but that's the only one off). That's easier to me than memorizing a sentence, to be honest.

As far as the multipliers go, it is just 10 to the power of the color's number. So BLACK being a 0, so 10 power 0 is 1x. BROWN is 1, so 10 power 1 is 10x, and so on through to BLUE which is 6, or 10 power 6 is 1,000,000x. After that, you memorize gold 0.1 and silver 0.01, and the tolerances BROWN (1%) RED (2%) GOLD (5%) SILVER (10%)  (also same order as all the other digits). If no band then 20% tolerance.

Not sure if this is harder than the mnemonic.

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 05:32:11 am »
I've seen it just memorized in order of the rainbow. For example, we start with BLACK, then BROWN as it is a mix between black/red, and then RED is next. So first 3 colors are BLACK, BROWN, RED. Then you have basically the rainbow starting with RED.... ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE, VIOLET. Then from violet you need to get to white on the end, so you have GREY in-between the violet and white, because if you mix violet and white, you get a light purple/greyish color (ok, it's a stretch but that's the only one off). That's easier to me than memorizing a sentence, to be honest.
That's pretty much how I taught myself to remember it: Black, Brown, <rainbow (with the merge of indigo & violet>, Grey, White.  Follow with the multipliers.  After a few years, you can spot a 4.7k resistor in a pile just by looking at it.

After that, you memorize gold 0.1 and silver 0.01
That took a bit longer.  I don't use many values that low.

and the tolerances BROWN (1%) RED (2%) GOLD (5%) SILVER (10%)  (also same order as all the other digits). If no band then 20% tolerance.
Gold, Silver and none were easy enough - and for so many years that's all I ever came across.  The others took a little getting used to.

But my biggest beef is with reading colour bands on blue bodies - especially 1% resistors when you're not sure which end is the start.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 05:33:57 am »

Never knew the mnemonic, so I don't know.

Bottom line is - I know the codes, so I can live without it.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 06:31:03 am »

Seems to be to me...

I only used the one I quoted as a joke.
The way I was taught back in the day was a mnemonic that sort of doesn't make a lot of sense...
It worked for me an has stuck.

black, brown, roy-g-biv, goes west.

"biv" is of course simply Blue Violet, but made into a sort of a word...

I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 07:05:26 am »
While we are talking about colour codes....

One place I worked at went through a file system restructure - getting new shelving, folders and a great array of stickers.  These stickers were colour coded - ten colours for numerics and ten colours for groups of letters.

BUT - did the colour sequence follow the colour code that had been around for DECADES on electronic components? 

NO!

That was the most frustrating exercise I ever encountered.  I had to ignore the colours and simply file according to the alphanumerics.  Even then, old habits had me looking at the wrong place all too often.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 10:29:05 am »
mostly called donkey dicks :D

That's MACRO aggression right there.

isn't going to fly.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Master/Slave
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 02:59:27 pm »

Seems to be to me...

I only used the one I quoted as a joke.
The way I was taught back in the day was a mnemonic that sort of doesn't make a lot of sense...
It worked for me an has stuck.

black, brown, roy-g-biv, goes west.

"biv" is of course simply Blue Violet, but made into a sort of a word...

"BIV" is Blue Indigo Violet. It's supposed to sound like a person's name: Roy G. Biv, whose initials would be RGB!

Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet. :)

That's how we learned the color spectrum when I was in school. It's an old pneumonic; not sure if they still teach it today, but they still did at least when I was a kid (late-80's).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:01:22 pm by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 03:13:41 pm »
Of course on a real spectrum there is no identifiable "Indigo" area. Blue and violet are very close and there is nothing distinct lying between them.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 03:21:38 pm »
How about Driver/Passenger?  The driver controls the bus, the passenger is just along for the ride.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 11:20:00 pm »
Of course on a real spectrum there is no identifiable "Indigo" area. Blue and violet are very close and there is nothing distinct lying between them.

Not to the human eye, but it is there, at roughly 450nm, between blue and violet!

That said, here's the scoop on the "original" seven colors of the rainbow: It is likely that what Newton called "blue" is actually cyan, which would make his "Indigo" blue!

Indigo is therefore counted as one of the traditional colors of the rainbow, the order of which is given by the mnemonic Roy G. Biv. James Clerk Maxwell and Hermann von Helmholtz accepted indigo as an appropriate name for the color flanking violet in the spectrum.[16]

Later scientists conclude that Newton named the colors differently from current usage.[17][18] According to Gary Waldman, "A careful reading of Newton's work indicates that the color he called indigo, we would normally call blue; his blue is then what we would name blue-green, cyan or light blue."[19]

The human eye does not readily differentiate hues in the wavelengths between blue and violet. If this is where Newton meant indigo to lie, most individuals would have difficulty distinguishing indigo from its neighbors. According to Isaac Asimov, "It is customary to list indigo as a color lying between blue and violet, but it has never seemed to me that indigo is worth the dignity of being considered a separate color. To my eyes it seems merely deep blue."[20]

Some modern color scientists divide the spectrum between violet and blue at about 450 nm, with no indigo.[21][22]

Indigo is the Pluto of colors. :(
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 12:37:44 am »
This master/slave topic should come with a trigger warning.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 12:59:25 am »
My pet hate is Chairwoman, it's BS.  :bullshit:

Madam Chairman is the correct way to address a female chairman.

Yeah I know languages evolve but it's like  :horse:

Nothing wrong with Madame Chairwoman as far as I'm concerned. The one I hate is Mr/Madame ChairPERSON. Yuck! That is pure PC horse-pucky, and ugly sounding, whereas chairman/chairwoman is just being smart enough to figure out the gender of the person you're addressing.

Some many jobs ago our purchasing manager, Jenny, was made one of the directors of the company and I was very pleased to see that she insisted that her job title was to be "Directrix"  - which is the correct form for such a Latin derived word (cf Dominator, Dominatrix).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 01:29:23 am »
That said, here's the scoop on the "original" seven colors of the rainbow: It is likely that what Newton called "blue" is actually cyan, which would make his "Indigo" blue!

That would make a lot of sense as the name of the colour "indigo" comes from the dye Indigo which is of course the traditional dye for denim and is far from "indigo" in colour in the modern sense of "indigo". Indigo dye has been around a *very* long time and in Newton's time people were a little closer to the soil and probably recognised the colour for what it was. Indigo proper comes from the asian plant Indigofera tinctoria but a chemically identical dye obtained from a different plant was around in ancient Britain as Woad and has been used to dye cloth (and skin) in Britain for thousands of years.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 01:31:52 am »
Nothing wrong with Madame Chairwoman as far as I'm concerned. The one I hate is Mr/Madame ChairPERSON. Yuck! That is pure PC horse-pucky, and ugly sounding, whereas chairman/chairwoman is just being smart enough to figure out the gender of the person you're addressing.

If you are at a meeting or making reference to the position where the gender is known, then I tend to agree with you.  However, if you are referring to the position which may have either gender filling it, then Chairperson is acceptable, IMHO.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 01:37:33 am »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 02:26:31 am »
How about Driver/Passenger?  The driver controls the bus, the passenger is just along for the ride.
That doesn't work during read operations when the peripheral drives the bus to return data. Maybe host/peripheral or host/gadget? That's what USB calls it.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2016, 02:27:58 am »

If you are at a meeting or making reference to the position where the gender is known, then I tend to agree with you.  However, if you are referring to the position which may have either gender filling it, then Chairperson is acceptable, IMHO.

There's already a perfectly acceptable formulation for that, "The Chair", that does not mangle God's* own language.

*If you accept the, self-evident, assertion that "God is a Yorkshireman".

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2016, 10:49:00 am »
There's already a perfectly acceptable formulation for that, "The Chair"

Indeed - you are right.  It's been a while since that term has come up in conversation...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2016, 02:27:24 pm »
How about we jump to the other end of the spectrum, and call it dominant, and submissive. Shortened to Dom and Sub to have the political correctness death spiral when a kid tries to hook up an arduino.
Along the same theme, I have a somewhat oddly translated service manual which has this phrase:
Proper care must be exercised when performing S&M on the printer to avoid damages/injury.

There is a register in some Intel chipsets which goes by the abbreviation "BDSM".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2016, 06:10:00 pm »
Along the same theme, I have a somewhat oddly translated service manual which has this phrase:
Proper care must be exercised when performing S&M on the printer to avoid damages/injury.

"Before servicing the printer, scroll through the front panel menu to the Safeword setting."

Offline donmr

• Regular Contributor
  • W7DMR
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2016, 07:02:21 pm »
Leader/Follower?

Controller/Responder?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf