Author Topic: Math problem for a few local hams - they couldn't do it  (Read 5137 times)

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
Re: Math problem for a few local hams - they couldn't do it
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2019, 11:32:56 am »
Guys, don't diss HAMs here.
I used to teach at a fairly decent tech university and I had students totally dumbfounded  with elementary school math on more than one occasion.
Today, the most talented EE students use Excel in order to solve such math problems, like - when and how far from town B or A the two cars meet themselves :)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2019, 03:51:39 pm »
OK, how about this:
 λ·f=c (meters, megahertz, 300)

Ouch.  ;)

I think a cleaner notation for the starting point would be e.g.
λ/m · f/MHz = c/(106 m/s).

That gives you dimensionless quantities  λ, f and c to play with.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 03:52:13 pm »
There was no other way, if you wanted to communicate with people all over the world and weren't rich you had to build equipment, modify surplus gear and understand the technical details. Now there are other options, and given the fact that ham in general has so much less draw, it needs all the options it can get in order to keep the hobby alive. Must have been very exciting back in the day to make a contact in a foreign country, it's still cool but I interact with people all over the world right here on the forum. I can even use my phone to make a voip call to my friend in the uk for free. I can't justify spending a bunch of money on radio gear.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf