Author Topic: Meta: How are the JLCPCB advertising banners on this forum supposed to work?  (Read 4963 times)

Offline I wanted a rude usernameTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
The JLCPCB banner that appears on every page links to https://jlcpcb.com/v, which doesn't look like it contains any referral information. JLCPCB could parse the Referer header and see that users are coming from eevblog.com, but what if the user's browser has Referer disabled ... or spoofed to the target domain, e.g. with network.http.referer.spoofSource=false? I doubt many users configure their browsers like this, but it must add up ...

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Yes, much advertisement on the internet is based on impressions, rather than clicks. EEVblog has a certain number of forum viewers - and JLCPCB is paying to be there.
Much the same as a billboard or advertisement on a bus - just making people aware.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I think it's actually the only banner ad on the internet that I don't have blocked. It's nice and unobtrusive, so much online advertising these days is trying too hard to get your attention to the point that I find it intolerable and block it all. It's like trying to walk somewhere with a mob of reporters hounding you.

The following users thanked this post: Karel

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
So far I find this forum's ads are acceptable, and unblock all ads coming this forum.

This is how I see this forum ...

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
its the sales persons code! they will get commission from anyone whos referered via that add.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
What is also very unusual nowadays, and very refreshing and welcome, that these banners are actually nothing more that just locally hosted images with a link.
No ridiculous tracking and stuff like that.

Banners like these I can tolerate, even if the animation of the JLCPCB gif is a bit too fast in my opinion.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I think Dave gets a minimum payment just for setting it there, regardless being clicked or not.

Correct, my ads are fixed monthly cost, not per click or per impression. That's the URL that JLC gave me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I think it's actually the only banner ad on the internet that I don't have blocked. It's nice and unobtrusive, so much online advertising these days is trying too hard to get your attention to the point that I find it intolerable and block it all. It's like trying to walk somewhere with a mob of reporters hounding you.

The forum SMF software allows really annoying options like ads within threads etc. I deliberately don't offer those.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Yes, much advertisement on the internet is based on impressions, rather than clicks. EEVblog has a certain number of forum viewers - and JLCPCB is paying to be there.
Much the same as a billboard or advertisement on a bus - just making people aware.

Some companies demand a certain click ratio etc or they bail, others are happy just for continued brand impression awareness.
JLC are just like "Hey we like your forum and want to pay to have our name there, do you take PayPal?". Never asked for any click results etc, but it's working for them and they want continue for another year.

Keysight on the other hand are red tape hell. They used to use an agency that demanded insertion orders, results analysis, three months payment terms, and other whacko stuff. They have now switched to an internal advertising team and the red tape has expanded to wanting conference calls to discuss the various opportunities, W8-BEN forms, company profile excel forms that are impossible to understand, 5 people copied on emails, and a host of other annoying stuff.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Some companies demand a certain click ratio etc or they bail, others are happy just for continued brand impression awareness.
JLC are just like "Hey we like your forum and want to pay to have our name there, do you take PayPal?". Never asked for any click results etc, but it's working for them and they want continue for another year.

Keysight on the other hand are red tape hell. They used to use an agency that demanded insertion orders, results analysis, three months payment terms, and other whacko stuff. They have now switched to an internal advertising team and the red tape has expanded to wanting conference calls to discuss the various opportunities, W8-BEN forms, company profile excel forms that are impossible to understand, 5 people copied on emails, and a host of other annoying stuff.

I wish you get from Keysight much-much more than JLC, you know, your energy & spent for those red tapes.  ::)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I wish you get from Keysight much-much more than JLC, you know, your energy & spent for those red tapes.  ::)

Nope, same rate  :palm:

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Ever feel snarky enough to say "here are the spreadsheets you requested and here is the invoice for hours used"? ;)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Bill those suckers. It's the only way of providing some incentive for them to fix their process. Not that they will but you at least get paid for it. Though it saddens me that people are even asking this question. We're so used to having literally hundreds of trackers attached to every website that just a plain banner and transparent and simple setup is hard for people to grasp.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
You are lucky they do not ask you for an atteststion or copies of policies on workplace harrasment, discrimination and diversity including hiring process.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
The trackers and scripts are insane, I don't even use the internet anymore without NoScript. It completely breaks some sites including one I used to buy quite a bit of stuff from, I simply don't visit those sites anymore.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
The trackers and scripts are insane, I don't even use the internet anymore without NoScript. It completely breaks some sites including one I used to buy quite a bit of stuff from, I simply don't visit those sites anymore.
Yeah. At some point I noticed even Farnell's website is contacting Facebook.com!  :wtf: I put facebook.com in my hosts file to point to nowhere and perhaps I should do the same for several other data collectors.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline I wanted a rude usernameTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
Yeah. At some point I noticed even Farnell's website is contacting Facebook.com!  :wtf: I put facebook.com in my hosts file to point to nowhere and perhaps I should do the same for several other data collectors.

uBlock Origin has filter lists that do this for you in the browser. There is a specific Facebook one, and general social media, advertising, and other tracker lists.

Five million users can't be wrong.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
Good news, windows "fixed" hosts files so that wildcards don't work, and the facebook.com entry won't affect subdomains I.e. ads.facebook.com goes through fine.  :--
Pi-holes work just fine for that sort of thing though.
Also works on anything else on the network, including wrangling "smart" TVs if you have one and use the right block lists, or manually block the domains the TV looks up.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Good news, windows "fixed" hosts files so that wildcards don't work, and the facebook.com entry won't affect subdomains I.e. ads.facebook.com goes through fine.  :--
Pi-holes work just fine for that sort of thing though.
Also works on anything else on the network, including wrangling "smart" TVs if you have one and use the right block lists, or manually block the domains the TV looks up.

One shouldn't use the Hosts file for ad blocking unless you have absolutely no other method. It's largely ineffective and a pain to manage. Windows 10 also ignores the Hosts file for certain domains/IP addresses (for example, Microsoft telemetry).

I block network-wide using pfBlockerNG on my pfSense firewall followed up with Ghostery and Ad Block Plus plugins for my browser to catch any remaining dodgy elements which slip through. I have something like 50,000+ entries in my network block list and it's updated automatically every day. This allows me to block leaking of information and surf 99% ad-free (including YouTube pre-roll ads).

This is a good list to start with: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Adblock Lattitude gets rid of all the ads on YouTube, I've pretty much given up on it on my phone because the ads make it unusable, when content is not designed around having commercials it just cuts out abruptly which I find very jarring. I have not had any luck blocking the YouTube ads on my router but I do block some of the worst offenders there.

I know people rely on advertising income but really the advertisers did this to themselves by being greedy. Banner ads never bothered me back in the day, it was the popup scourge that motivated me to buy an early ad blocking product and I've never gone back.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
I know people rely on advertising income but really the advertisers did this to themselves by being greedy.

Personally, if I frequently consume content that I find useful or entertaining, I'll contribute in other ways. For example, I have donated a few things to Dave now and I support Big Clive by doing the same (plus contributing by way of monetary donations).

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
I know people rely on advertising income but really the advertisers did this to themselves by being greedy. Banner ads never bothered me back in the day, it was the popup scourge that motivated me to buy an early ad blocking product and I've never gone back.
I forget what website I was, but I remember mild surprise when all the banner and side ads loaded, (few static images, and tame animated banners, nothing offensive to sensibility) getting past the pi-hole and ublock. I looked at the source out of curiosity, and they were just hosting their own ads.

What a novel concept, not having a web page that connects to 20 different domains, including a dozen trackers.
I felt no need to block the ads as (much like the forum ads here ) they didn't disrupt the information presented, slow down page loading, present various security risks, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
I know one online magazine, relating to engineering, that is self hosting all the ads they deliver. Fine with that, nothing obtrusive, and all nicely controlled with nothing annoying, just banners, interstitials and flashing and animated. But not too much, they survive on advertising.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
FYI< JLC ad has been updated with a code for the EEVblog "EEJLCPCB" gets an extra $5 off for the first 50 people.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online magic

• Super Contributor
Free SMT Assembly Fee
So I don't need to pay for paying for assembly? ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf