Author Topic: Microsoft broke into my office and vandalized my work!!  (Read 9072 times)

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Microsoft broke into my office and vandalized my work!!
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2021, 09:18:37 am »
*Exactly* like Windows.
Never was a surprise...
SYSTEMD thinghy is conceived to implement windooze mimimcs in nix
The POTTERIX system is meant as a compatible layer thrown in the wild
Remove user from boot
Allow a fast vm with wayland piped GUI
PUF MAGIC CORPORATE KIOSKS...
just like same old 30y of shit

Sure we can bang on about Windows and Systemd, but let's not forget about Arch.

Offline cortex_m0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2021, 09:52:42 pm »
Volvo died years ago and exists now in name only. ...  They started turning into bloated luxury cars in the late 90s and turned completely away from the focus on extremely practical, rugged, long lasting and safe cars that they were legendary for making.

That coincides nicely with Volvo being acquired by Ford Motor Co. in 1998.

I absolutely agree with the touchscreen thing. I haven't been able to re-set my car's clock for Standard Time because the touch screen has developed some dead spots at  6 years old. The good news is I only need to use the touch screen for a few functions, like changing the time zone and resetting the service needed light. Haven't yet tried to check what it would take to repair/replace the touch screen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 09:57:05 pm by cortex_m0 »

Online IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2021, 10:09:43 pm »
When the behavior of modern software is virtually indistinguishable from that of malware and viruses I'll take my chances.
Upvoted as "Computing Quote of the Year"!  :)

Besides all the other valid comments on this topic herein: I look at how I intend to use the tool, and weigh that against the advantages/disadvantages of whatever "upgrade" is being proposed. In my case, the tools I use run fine on Win7. I also know how to fine tune Win7 to do what I want - and not to do a lot of what I don't want (example: At rest, Task Manager reports a grand total of 41 processes on my workstations). I could give all that up for Win10/11 and gain... what? More intrusiveness, less control? How does that move my marker forward?

Oh yeah, Win10/11 "gives" you random resets and dead time too, often at the least convenient times. Literally as I've been typing this my wife, across the lab at her desk, just let out some choice words because her Win10 laptop just decided to "upgrade" again. Right when she needs to send some things to people.

Maybe Microsoft needs to ship two versions of their operating systems: The "For Dummies" version and the "Take your Chances" version. I'd gladly pay - extra - for the latter if it meant they'd leave MY optimizations alone and not open a bunch of outbound TCP sockets to somewhere.

I just want a tool. One that does what I need, in the manner I configure it, with no extra hands "helping me" changing settings and updating files. The fact that all of my systems run Win7 SP1 and I have yet to find anything that even slightly tempts me to move to anything later is a huge, HUGE clue that creeping featurism isn't always an advantage. Quite the contrary.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2021, 11:33:38 am »
Volvo died years ago and exists now in name only. ...  They started turning into bloated luxury cars in the late 90s and turned completely away from the focus on extremely practical, rugged, long lasting and safe cars that they were legendary for making.
That coincides nicely with Volvo being acquired by Ford Motor Co. in 1998.

I absolutely agree with the touchscreen thing. I haven't been able to re-set my car's clock for Standard Time because the touch screen has developed some dead spots at  6 years old. The good news is I only need to use the touch screen for a few functions, like changing the time zone and resetting the service needed light. Haven't yet tried to check what it would take to repair/replace the touch screen.

Yeah Volvo is not what it used to be and Ford definitely left its mark on it. Now that they are owned by the Chinese they seam to have gotten a bit better in terms of luxury cars, but the high tech user experience is also moving towards the user experience of a cheep noname brand Chinese oscilloscope.

When the behavior of modern software is virtually indistinguishable from that of malware and viruses I'll take my chances.
I just want a tool. One that does what I need, in the manner I configure it, with no extra hands "helping me" changing settings and updating files. The fact that all of my systems run Win7 SP1 and I have yet to find anything that even slightly tempts me to move to anything later is a huge, HUGE clue that creeping featurism isn't always an advantage. Quite the contrary.

This is the exact problem i have with Win 10. It doesn't actually provide me with any new functionality i would find useful. I like sticking with something until i have a reason to upgrade. I kept using Win 2000 for quite a few years into the Win XP era since it could do pretty much everything that Win 2000 did while Win2k ran great even on old outdated hardware. Skipped Vista for obvious reasons, but then when Win7 came out i was so impressed with the step forward it made from Win XP that i actually installed the free Win7 RC1 release candidate on my main machine and was actually positively surprised. Most of the hardware worked out of the box, some quick tweaks got the rest working, it ran fast it looked nice, the new menus actually made sense, there ware tons of quality of life improvements like the new taskbar, snapping windows etc... And yet i was not even using the final version and there ware no bugs to be seen. It quickly became my new favorite OS, years down the line it has also proved to be reliable, continuing to run without issues even after years of crap have accumulated on it. Pretty much never needed to reinstall it because something broke badly like it happened here or there in WinXP with daily driver machines.

Then we have Win 8 that way basically Windows redesigned for a touchscreen tablet OS but still running on a desktop computer for 99% of the user base, screw that. Then Win 10 comes along and fixes some of that but keeps swanky useless setting menus that don't actually let you set much, sends your data back to be sold by Microsoft, constantly has updates that introduce bugs every so often, introduces a app store just so Microsoft could milk app developers for a cut of the cake, the whole thing feels so polished it feels like an Alpha release version of a OS. On top of that it has the ugly graphical refinement of Win 3.1 while at the same time being more resource intensive than Win7, how the heck?! All of this while coming with 0 features that make it more useful than Win7, apart from not being affected by forced obsolescence because drivers and modern games are made to only support Win10

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2021, 03:09:03 am »
One major flaw with Windows is there is nothing to tell you then the operating system has actually completed its boot-up. Linux has never had that problem.

Windows actually lies about it.  Some modules are delayed until after the desktop is started to make it seem like the boot time is faster than it really is.  Microsoft implemented this behavior to improve benchmarks.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2021, 05:14:42 am »

I left some unsaved work open at the end of my shift, put my PC into sleep mode, came to work the next morning to find an empty desktop. I went to investigate trough the logs what happened in case it somehow had a bluescreen or something. Nothing to be found, but i did find that it installed updates on that day.

In 2006 I  had to reinstall Windows.
So put in Windows CD and let it do its stuff.
As it was a clean install it formatted the hard drive which was fine as I had put my stuff on a backup hard drive too.
I found out to my horror it had formatted the back up drive too.
I managed to find some items on old DVD's I kept but still lost a lot of work.
Since then I unplug the back up drive when installing Windows.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2021, 05:25:24 am »
There are un-format utilities that can often recover nearly everything assuming the drive has not been deliberately wiped. Most of the time when Windows formats a drive it just marks the space as available.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2021, 06:18:34 am »
In 2006 I  had to reinstall Windows.
So put in Windows CD and let it do its stuff.
As it was a clean install it formatted the hard drive which was fine as I had put my stuff on a backup hard drive too.
I found out to my horror it had formatted the back up drive too.
I managed to find some items on old DVD's I kept but still lost a lot of work.

I had that happen when doing an installation and at the spot where you choose the drive i assumed the first drive on the list of drives is the C drive. It had a similar size so it didn't tip me off at something being wrong, then once it completes i end up at a boot selection screen with two windows installs to chose from. At that moment i just paused a bit before my heart sank as i realized what i have just done. Admittedly this is my fault for not double checking i have the right drive, but for some reason every time i installed windows in the past the C drive was at the top so i just started assuming that is always the current system drive. I did try some utilities to try and get the data back but don't think i got anything useful. Problem likely being that the format wipes away most of the file tables (regular un-delete is easier because the file is simply marked as junk in the tables).

Never heard of the windows installer messing with any other drives in the process.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2021, 06:50:48 am »
In reality he probably did exactly the same thing you did. Ran the installer, it detected an existing installation and defaulted to the backup drive.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2021, 08:16:25 am »
One major flaw with Windows is there is nothing to tell you then the operating system has actually completed its boot-up. Linux has never had that problem.

Windows actually lies about it.  Some modules are delayed until after the desktop is started to make it seem like the boot time is faster than it really is.  Microsoft implemented this behavior to improve benchmarks.
It is not just on boot up. Also the busy mouse pointer comes up rarely, even if the system is busy and not reponsive. More like coming up only if there are more processes waiting.
I think Win 8 nearly gave up on the busy signal - one sometimes can type half a sentence before the things come up on the screen.
The download of an update in the background seems to slow down the system quite a bit - up to the point of making the computer hard to use for some tasks, like editing, where one needs the resonse. In these times I still want my Amiga 500 back - it was more responsive even with the OS from floppy disc.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2021, 06:10:12 am »
Have always been doing this and disconnecting all other drives including chip drives
right from the start with Windows 2000, so that there is only one single drive to install to.
To avoid the described messup and prevent Windows from installing
itself on drive H, for example, which some progs cannot handle. :scared:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2021, 06:33:23 am »
Have always been doing this and disconnecting all other drives including chip drives
right from the start with Windows 2000, so that there is only one single drive to install to.
To avoid the described messup and prevent Windows from installing
itself on drive H, for example, which some progs cannot handle. :scared:

The drive letters are not actually bound to the drives in the partition tables. So the drive you install it on will likely become the C drive inside that instance of windows, while the old C drive becomes something else. But yeah its more a mater of not nuking all your data, its only in Win7 and newer that if windows is installed on an existing drive the contents of that drive get moved into a "windows.old" folder, however only if you have enough drive space to do so. I do not trust it and move my data off that drive beforehand manually.

This is also why the installer can confuse drives as it only sees it as drive 1 drive 2 drive 3 rather than C D E

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2021, 10:34:55 am »
Today, Microsoft turned all my Outlook setting to a dark grey background when I booted up this morning. I did NOT change that setting before I shut down last night and did not do an update. Microsoft thinks they know what I need. I found out how to change it back. Then I loaded Excel and a message came up like, "We changed some settings for you to make you focus on your work better." What a load of frogshit. I never had problems focussing on my Excel spreadsheets.

We don't think I live in a communist country run by Big Brother with some screwed up ideology, but 1984 is here today. Microsoft seems to know what is good for me because they know better about what I need than I do. Oh, silly me... I repent! I admit I am defective and should turn away from my sin of not following 1 Microsoft Way.

In conclusion, Microsoft can F*** OFF.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2021, 11:51:58 am »
I recently manually ran a backlog of updates on Win 10.

The result of it was:
- A weather app showed up on my taskbar. I tried the usual way of removing taskbar elements that worked in Win 7, Vista, XP, Win2000, Win98... could not do it. Then when a coworker walked by i randomly asked him how to do it and he shown me the magic hide button under "News" (And he admired it also has takem him a while to find)
- The start menu background is suddenly light blue while before it was dark blue
- Spam notification shown up about setting Edge the default browser
- A what's new tutorial shown up to explain to me 4 exiting new features, guess what feature 3 was.... Alt+Tab shortcut to swap windows
- Possibly more randomly switched settings that i have not noticed so far

Oh and that network shared printer problem that was the reason for me installing updates? Nope still gives same non descriptive error of 0x0000007c when i try to add it. |O

I never had a single problem with sharing a damn printer on Win7

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2021, 01:04:05 pm »
Ok a bit diva-ish but really wtf?

So I left my pc on overnight to log some important data to work on the next day
I enter the office next morning and instead of a graph populated with measurements I'm facing the login screen

I log in and peruse the event log, Microsoft have decided to install updates and restart the machine, terminating the running measurement program and loosing all of it's valuable data.
The only professional thing about W10 Pro is the professional way in which they ruined my day!

They "virtually" did exactly what the title says albeit remotely

Our IT department would reset all the PCs during the night to force the updates.  We lost a lot of work because of that department. 

After Windows had forced an update on my PC, I basically blocked all MS addresses at the router.  A few years ago, I was looking at Vivaldi browser and bypassed the router long enough for MS to get their hooks into it.   After their last update, I discovered a few more addresses had been added.  It's been locked ever since.   Obviously not having access to any of MS sites has a down side but for me, it's been worth it.     

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/windows-10-creators-update-1703/msg1319523/#msg1319523

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2021, 02:23:52 pm »
Oh and that network shared printer problem that was the reason for me installing updates? Nope still gives same non descriptive error of 0x0000007c when i try to add it. |O

The printer issues are going on for several months now. :--

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2021, 04:06:13 pm »
So the drive you install it on will likely become the C drive inside that instance of windows

You'd hope so. For a long time my Windows drive was M: - I think it was an upgrade install, so used whatever drive was free on the original system and then remembered it even after the first was toast. For that reason, I never had  C: drive on that system.

Online IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2021, 05:10:43 pm »
Our IT department would reset all the PCs during the night to force the updates.  We lost a lot of work because of that department.
I'd have thought "something would have happened" to anyone who did that more than once. A little stockroom justice where reality gets 'splained to people whose "for your own good" keeps costing you actual work. And I'd think the guy signing everyone's paychecks would have been the leader of that little task force.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2021, 12:17:08 am »
I'd have thought "something would have happened" to anyone who did that more than once. A little stockroom justice where reality gets 'splained to people whose "for your own good" keeps costing you actual work. And I'd think the guy signing everyone's paychecks would have been the leader of that little task force.
The stories I could tell....

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2021, 06:50:29 am »
*Exactly* like Windows.

Never was a surprise...

SYSTEMD thinghy is conceived to implement windooze mimimcs in nix

The POTTERIX system is meant as a compatible layer thrown in the wild

Remove user from boot
Allow a fast vm with wayland piped GUI

PUF MAGIC CORPORATE KIOSKS...
just like same old 30y of shit

Paul

Sometimes I think I'm the ugly girl at the dance. I don't use distros that have SYSTEMD. And so I just sit there and sulk because I think I'm missing out on all the fun.
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf