Author Topic: Migrating the forum to Discourse  (Read 34970 times)

Offline ddavideborTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Migrating the forum to Discourse
« on: March 29, 2020, 02:59:35 pm »
Hello,
I have had this thought for a few years. Wouldn't it make sense to migrate the forum to the Discourse platform?

Yes, it's not easy. This is a big forum.

There are pretty much only advantages in switching platform, it's pretty much time, but there are risks in the migration also.

Pros:
* finally modern mobile experience
* much better readability for the forum
* improved engagement with younger audiences (!!!)
* way better search
* Ability to easily leverage managed databases such as digitalocean's ones which I personally recommend
* Lower resources consumption
* faster website
* improved engagement with the many tools discourse provide
* ease of moderation, discourse forums are mostly self-moderating requiring only limited oversight
* modern features like modern editor, better emojis, social login,
* way way way easier management and upgrades

Risks:
* broken link during migration. new and old website could be scanned and data compared to check for broken links before migrating. The discourse importer includes generation of all redirects required in theory.
* miss of custom functions?
* grumpy users complaining
* SEO issues - this should be ok with the redirects working.
* users need to reset the password

David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Migrating the forum to Discourse
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 05:17:47 pm »
NO, NO and NO.

All that new age stuff if unusable garbage for people that can't formulate a thought longer than a twit.

You are free to create an alternative and see how many people join.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 05:23:18 pm »
* improved engagement
Fuck engagement. Argument for making games, forums or whatever with users into complete trash ridden with bells and whistles.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:41:43 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: amyk, nardev, daqq, SkyMaster, Lee697, Tadas, RoGeorge, george.b, BBBbbb, eti

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 05:36:37 pm »
This must be a wiindup. :popcorn:

https://www.discourse.org/about
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 05:46:30 pm »
I see nothing in anything you mention or what I read on the Discourese website that beats "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, schmitt trigger

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 06:38:21 pm »
The Buzzwords are strong with this one :p

But on a sidenote: Yes, the forum software shows it's age, and migration to some more modern software should be considered. Modern software like Xenforo can introduce a lot of new useful features without loosing it's spirit of what a forum actually represents.
But other than that, why would you migrate the forum to discord, of all places?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »
SMF 2.1 is right around the corner, if there should be any upgrade it should be to that solely for security fixes and minor QoL improvements.

Besides that, the sole point of the forum is to be a place for people to create topics and reply to them. Best I can tell it does that just fine. If you can't do it on your phone, too bad, you can exist without the EEVBlog Forum until you get home and use something else if Tapatalk or just dealing with it isn't good enough for you.

It's not broke, don't fix it.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: amyk, Ian.M

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 07:10:00 pm »
I have had this thought for a few years. Wouldn't it make sense to migrate the forum to the Discourse platform?

Why?

(...) it's pretty much time (...)

But why?

This forum works fairly well overall. Migrating the exisiting content to something else would probably be a nightmare, or next to impossible - I'm sure Dave has better things to do. And if EEVBlog's forum suddenly started afresh (with existing content lost), just for the sake of using something trendier, that would be a big loss.

There is one small thing that I see could be improved (and is probably not too hard to do) is easier inclusion of images in posts. Currently if you're attaching images in a post, you have to go some extra manual steps to include them in the post itself, and not just as small thumbnails at the end.

The search function could be improved, but I'm not sure this would really help a lot. I've seen people ask the same questions over and over again on almost all forums, however fancy the search function is.

My (limited) experience with forums based on Discourse is not that great. I think this forum is overall a lot more readable an usable than typical Discourse forums.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:16:09 pm by SiliconWizard »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 07:23:41 pm »
I've never heard of Discourse and have no view on the matter, but many people who've responded seem to think it's shit, so it's clearly not worth the bother/risk.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 07:27:27 pm »
Wouldn't it make sense to migrate the forum to the Discourse platform?
NO!  If you want a better theme for mobile, just ask about that.

EEVblog forum works very well as it is now.
Let's not ruin it for buzzwords and glitter.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:33:59 pm by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: daqq, george.b, MrMobodies

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 07:30:10 pm »
At a quick glance I see no added value, *maybe* aside from the better mobile interface, which I don't use anyway.

How does that work? I can read the forum just fine.
How does that work exactly? What's stopping younger audiences from using a standard forum?
* ease of moderation, discourse forums are mostly self-moderating requiring only limited oversight
How does self moderation work?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: george.b, james_s

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 07:52:07 pm »
Hell NO. I do not want another stupid name platform.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, Yansi

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 08:40:41 pm »
Never change a running system. I've seen a forum (Tonmeisterforum) die
completely because of an attempted forum software change.  :'(
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, SilverSolder, Ian.M, Cubdriver, Masa, james_s

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 09:21:31 pm »
Probably some kind of voting where the posts most convincing to the largest number of readers end up at the top and others go down or disappear. Ever been to r*ddit? ;D

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:22 pm »
Probably some kind of voting where the posts most convincing to the largest number of readers end up at the top and others go down or disappear. Ever been to r*ddit? ;D
Then it would be a shit show. And there were several cases when opinion of everyone about some technical question contradicted what I wrote. In the end after insisting several times turned out I was right. If comments moved according to likes, I guess it would end up in a shithole nobody reads.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, SkyMaster, newbrain

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 09:30:31 pm »
From what I've seen, Discourse is horrible. It has gone with that "jumble of text floating in a sea of white" fad that makes it so hard for me to focus on anything. The mobile interface for this forum is horrid since the last update but at least on a proper browser it's quite good. It utilizes shading nicely to differentiate things from one another.

The mobile experience here was already broken by an update, why would we want to break the rest of the forum by migrating to a new platform? It works fine, leave it alone!

The following users thanked this post: amyk, artag, SkyMaster, tooki, Karel, newbrain, I wanted a rude username

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 09:48:51 pm »
I'll add another "do NOT want!" to everyone else here who already has...

From link above:
Discourse is designed for the next 10 years of the Internet, so the minimum browser requirements are high.
|O :palm: I've already had it with idiotic sites turning into bloated horrible web-apps that complain if your browser is even slightly older than the latest, despite the fact that something 20 years ago would've been perfectly fine for the functionality. The moment this site goes in that direction is the moment I leave.

The following users thanked this post: tinhead, Sal Ammoniac, artag, SkyMaster, Red Squirrel, Ian.M, tooki, MrMobodies

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 10:11:19 pm »
It has gone with that "jumble of text floating in a sea of white" fad that makes it so hard for me to focus on anything.
Yep, every time google leads me to a discourse forum, I just close the tab. It is usually a mess that is impossible to navigate and understand. But it has likes, follows and subscribes.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: MyHeadHz

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 10:15:48 pm »
At a quick glance I see no added value, *maybe* aside from the better mobile interface, which I don't use anyway.

How does that work? I can read the forum just fine.

The readability is mainly improved by dropping the "pages" for continuous loading.  In general, long threads are more readable on discourse, and can be browsed quickly by date through a cursor on the right side of the page. That alone is pretty much how it became popular.

How does that work exactly? What's stopping younger audiences from using a standard forum?

In general phpbb interface reflects standards with wich newer users are not familiar anymore and consider offputting.

It has a structure where users progressively and automatically gain power as they gain engagement and respect from the community. Of course, the real power is in the hands of who controls the software.
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/who-has-which-moderation-powers-on-discourse/29805
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 10:16:50 pm »
From what I've seen, Discourse is horrible. It has gone with that "jumble of text floating in a sea of white" fad that makes it so hard for me to focus on anything. The mobile interface for this forum is horrid since the last update but at least on a proper browser it's quite good. It utilizes shading nicely to differentiate things from one another.

The mobile experience here was already broken by an update, why would we want to break the rest of the forum by migrating to a new platform? It works fine, leave it alone!

I agree, the default theme is shit, but a couple of tweaks to make the page largers and change the color theme and it's pretty good. Many themes are available.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 10:19:18 pm »
It has a structure where users progressively and automatically gain power as they gain engagement and respect from the community.
=Starving for gaining likes and dick length competition. We have other places for this crap.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, Yansi, Siwastaja, tooki, newbrain, george.b

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 10:19:37 pm »
The readability is mainly improved by dropping the "pages" for continuous loading.
I personally hate continuous loading. It breaks orientation in space.

In general phpbb interface reflects standards with wich newer users are not familiar anymore and consider offputting.
Yes, and programming in C is considered obsolete. New users want Arduino.

Grow up and learn how to use forums. If you can't, do we really need you here?

It has a structure where users progressively and automatically gain power as they gain engagement and respect from the community.
And then you get StackOverflow kind of thing where people spew garbage to get points. No thanks. Moderation by human moderators works fine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:23:36 pm by ataradov »
Alex

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 10:20:13 pm »
Currently if you're attaching images in a post, you have to go some extra manual steps to include them in the post itself, and not just as small thumbnails at the end.

That's a massive plus! Imagine when it gets easy to embed the full-size photos in-text. Every thread will end up like Ice-T's buy/sell one where it takes forever to load a page and whilst it's doing that the bloody text is jumping up and down as the photos load (yes, the same big photos that loaded the previous time you looked at the page just a couple of hours ago).

In my opinion, it's not hard enough to embed in-text  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, newbrain, StillTrying, magic

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 10:21:30 pm »
The readability is mainly improved by dropping the "pages" for continuous loading.
Sounds like "say goodbye to your RAM when you open the TEA thread" :P

The following users thanked this post: jancumps, sarahMCML, bitseeker, Cubdriver, WattsThat

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 10:22:33 pm »
The Buzzwords are strong with this one :p

But on a sidenote: Yes, the forum software shows it's age, and migration to some more modern software should be considered. Modern software like Xenforo can introduce a lot of new useful features without loosing it's spirit of what a forum actually represents.
But other than that, why would you migrate the forum to discord, of all places?

It's a mature piece of software, gonna be 10yo soon. The architecture is good. It's not going to disappear next week. The UI is customizable. great community support. Ease of install and management. good performance. Written in a solid language. open source. It's considered the de-facto standard nowadays.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf