Author Topic: CE stands for China Export  (Read 10718 times)

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
CE stands for China Export
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:30:16 pm »
Came accross this while browsing, thought I'd share:

We’ve been particularly interested to observe all kinds of things, electronic and otherwise, which carry a mark which looks a lot like the CE mark, but which doesn’t mean Conformité Européenne. The other mark means China Export – you can see the difference between the two marks in this picture. It’s a sneaky-clever way some people try to get around the regulations.

Here's the link to the full article.

Buyer beware!

Lurch

Re: CE stands for China Export
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking is the full article actually.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »

What? I just like that icon.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:37:16 pm »
Congratulations, you too have been deceived by the myth-machine that is the internet. Please feel stupid for a bit.

The following users thanked this post: mcinque

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:05:32 am »
Indeed. It doesn't matter how you print the symbol on it (mirrored, upside-down, reversed, your own fantasy font, big small, packman, etc). As a manufacturer you are responsible for your products.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Lurch

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 12:06:37 am »
Indeed. It doesn't matter how you print the symbol on it (mirrored, upside-down, reversed, your own fantasy font, big small, packman, etc). As a manufacturer you are responsible for your products.

I think you may have the wrong end of the stick there, or one of us has the wrong stick, or maybe there is no stick?

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:29:48 am »
There is no spoon.  Oh, fork it!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:32:49 am »

I think you may have the wrong end of the stick there, or one of us has the wrong stick, or maybe there is no stick?
Ask a lawyer whether not putting a CE logo on your product makes you any less responsible for it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Lurch

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:35:13 am »
Ask a lawyer whether not putting a CE logo on your product makes you any less responsible for it.

Yep, definitely a stick related issue.

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:39:38 am »
Congratulations, you too have been deceived by the myth-machine that is the internet. Please feel stupid for a bit.

I feel plenty stupid already, what with dabbling in a field (EE) I don't know much about. To change that is why I'm here in the first place.

As for manufacturers responsibilities... if they can't even get the markings right, I'll make some educated guesses about the effort they went to with the self-certification procedure.

Lurch

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:24 am »
I'll make some educated guesses about the effort they went to with the self-certification procedure.

TBF, the whole CE/ISO certification thing that everyone is so obsessed with is pretty much completely pointless anyway so it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:46 am »
Buyer beware!
What's the Latin for "Wikipedia reader beware"? Caveat wikitor?

Lurch

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:54:35 am »
What's the Latin for "Wikipedia reader beware"?

Gullible.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 01:08:58 am »
Buyer beware!
What's the Latin for "Wikipedia reader beware"? Caveat wikitor?

i wished i could up vote this. nice one.
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 01:40:18 am »
See this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/deadly-insane-design-(cif-ft-02-reflow-oven)-teardown-rant-safety-fix/msg336827/#msg336827

The short version is that CE does not stand for China Export, that's just an urban myth.

Differences in the CE marking from what the dimensions "should be" are just the graphic design team being slack (or thinking they know better, or don't care).

Even "legitimate" CE marks are to a very large extent meaningless, because it's the manufacturer that determines if their own products stand up to the CE requirements, it's not independently assessed.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 02:40:02 am »
The short version is that CE does not stand for China Export, that's just an urban myth.

Really, that part was tongue-in-cheek. I guess I should have used smileys before:  ;)  ;)  ;)

Differences in the CE marking from what the dimensions "should be" are just the graphic design team being slack (or thinking they know better, or don't care).

Well, imo that's one aspect of product design where you can't be slack. If you are, it says something about the rest of your design. Besides, I have the feeling there's a bit more to it. There has to be a reason that the markings are never replicated exactly on counterfeit products, for example on all those apple chargers. It must give the guys doing it some slight advantage, otherwise, why not copy those to the letter. Having a varying CE logo probably makes enforcement slightly harder.

Even "legitimate" CE marks are to a very large extent meaningless, because it's the manufacturer that determines if their own products stand up to the CE requirements, it's not independently assessed.

Very unfortunate, that  :-\

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:41 am »
When a product is manufactured outside the EU, it is the importer that is responsible for product liability issues.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 04:13:41 pm »
If you look through your own home you'll probably find a product from an A-brand with an incorrect CE logo.

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 06:10:54 pm »
Maybe we can shave a bit with Occam's Razor (and at least have a terrible mixed metaphor/pun to attack this author ...)

I have a feeling some Chinese designers copy what they think people expect to see on products. If it happens to be a logo indicating standards conformance, oh well.

As such, you'll find UL and CE logos on products that would never ever pass the most rudimentary standards either organization uses. For example, see Dave's (even though it doesn't sport such a logo ... I'm sure there are ones that do ... especially on the outer packaging ... I'm just sure of it ... :-//)

I had heard the "Chinese Export" theory and let it live in my brain but on second thought, it does seem a bit silly. Like the country named USA (that's not the United States of America) to trick people when they read "Made in USA." First stop: Wikipedia's USA (disambiguation)—no country named USA outright.
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf