Author Topic: Mini Wireless Keyboards.  (Read 9604 times)

Offline PeterGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Mini Wireless Keyboards.
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:32:06 am »
Hi All,
 i went and got myself a Smart TV the other day(LG 42 inch). It does work well with a mini Keyboard/track pad for using the internet functions ect. However the range of these devices seems to be very limited. Can anyone recommend a device with a range of over 5 meters?

I am also open to hacking something together if needed. Below are the 2 devices i have now(With limited range) and use a very small usb dongle.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-2-4GHz-Rii-Wireless-Multi-media-USB-Keyboard-with-Touchpad-for-PC-PAD-15M-/151169336958?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item233265067e

And

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3in1-Rii-Mini-Handheld-Wireless-Keyboard-Touch-Pad-Backlight-Laser-CN116-/181256291874?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item2a33b78622

I also would like this one if it had the range.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOFREE-MT-200-Multi-touch-2-4GHz-Wireless-Mini-Touchpad-Keyboard-Windows-7-8-/291034489622?pt=AU_TabletAccessories&hash=item43c301e316

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
Re: Mini Wireless Keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:37:50 am »
I use one of these at home and it seems to live up to the claim of 10m pretty well (if you use the little receiver standoff it comes with).
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r
There seems to be a k400 and a k400r... not sure on the difference.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:10:47 am »
Yes i looked at that keyboard but it looks too big for my needs. I hope to find a mini (Palm size) device with the range of the Logitech device.

I did just locate a nice manual for LG tvs and it seems they are controllable via rs232.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:47 am »
Yes i looked at that keyboard but it looks too big for my needs. I hope to find a mini (Palm size) device with the range of the Logitech device.

I did just locate a nice manual for LG tvs and it seems they are controllable via rs232.

Regards

PM me your address and i will send you a logitech dinovo mini if you want.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:50 am »
Hi All,
 i went and got myself a Smart TV the other day(LG 42 inch). It does work well with a mini Keyboard/track pad for using the internet functions ect. ...

Just a friendly reminder about this other thread "LG TV backdoor spying..."

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/lg-tv's-doing-some-backdoor-spying/msg334295/#msg334295

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:32:18 am »
Yes i am aware of there "Spying". I think now days, if you look hard enough, most internet connected devices are collecting some sort of data about how they are being used.

I am of the opinion that i have nothing to hide. If LG want to know what i am watching, good for them.
The LG 42LN5710 that i purchased offers the best bang for buck at the moment and me being on a pension made price a major consideration.

Regards

PS. I once had a foil hat until the government started using Naquadah enhanced satellites that can read minds from orbit, even when shielded by foil. At this point i gave up.  ;D
Testing one two three...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:23:39 am »
Talking about wireless input tools for smart tv, when it comes to wireless air mouse, the latest LG magic remote does really-really well, I own and have compared to other branded air mouses, nothing even comes close.

Btw, its also available separately from LG.

Random image grabbed from Google

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:07:51 am »
Yes i am looking at the LG Magic remote. Good to hear from someone who has one.
The Magic remote seems to be required for quite a few games it seems.

For now, i am looking for a wireless keyboard with decent range.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:12:37 am »
I've been using one of these for a few years. It's pretty good. Has some connection glitches these days, but nothing to warrant getting another one. However it's geared up more for TV watching and there aren't any bloody function keys.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 05:18:29 am »
I've been using one of these for a few years. It's pretty good. Has some connection glitches these days, but nothing to warrant getting another one. However it's geared up more for TV watching and there aren't any bloody function keys.

I have taken Peter up on his kind offer. will be interesting to see what range i get from it. I am starting to think my house is rf proof..... anything in the 2.4Ghz range seems to have issues of late.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 10:09:37 am »
will be interesting to see what range i get from it. I am starting to think my house is rf proof..... anything in the 2.4Ghz range seems to have issues of late.
I live in an apartment, but there isn't a corner I can go without the keyboard working. I'd say at least 20M, through drywall walls too.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 09:54:00 pm »
The Dinovo mini gets over 5m but if the paired device is poor or there is interference it may not.
It has a solid rechargeable battery that even when old or showing flat will still last through a session.

It's best used as a light auxiliary keyboard.  It's not suitable for gaming or heavy typing.  I think it's best paired with a solid media remote control as second device if you need to type something.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »
I do not plan on using this as the primary remote. It will be used for typing web addresses and other web related stuff. Not for games or anything heavy duty. Using the on screen keyboard is slow and so is moving the mouse cursor when using the web browser. I am using a keyboard with built in trackpad to overcome both these issues.

For games i will later get the LG Magic remote if i end up playing games on the tv.

Regards
Testing one two three...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:47 am »
I decided to dismantle the mini dongle and see what is in there. It turns out, these keyboards are let down by a rather badly designed pcb antenna. I soldered a sma connector with a 2.4Ghz antenna and the range is now very usable. However the keyboard itself is not the best. It tends to drop the first character when you first start to type due to its power save mode.  I mounted the modified dongle on a plastic strip above the tv itself, this seems to be the best location for the dongle.

The photos below show the un modified dongle on the tv and the modified dongle on my workbench.

This seems to be a 'Nothing to lose' experiment that may work well for others.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 01:06:21 am »
Get a Cherry ML-4100 and mod it with a wireless adapter and some batteries.

Or just buy something like a casual. ;)
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:08 am »
Yeah that keyboard looks too big for this job.

One thing i have noticed is Samsung TVs don't respond to usb keyboards. Someone i know has a Samsung and the keyboard/trackpad wont work at all with it.

I would have thought most 'Smart' TVs would accept a basic usb keyboard at least.

Regards
Testing one two three...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 11:35:40 pm »
I have ordered a Lofree MT-200. I hope the screen is not solid black. I am thinking it would be nice if the screen was backlit for use at nite. Will be another week before it arrives. The range should not be an issue with a modded dongle.

If i can be modded i will post photos of the internals.

Regards
Testing one two three...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 03:07:59 am »

With due regards to the tongue in cheek last line, I look at "I have nothing to hide" instead as "I have nothing worth looking for". In which case why do they go to so much trouble to look for it?

It is MY information and in exchange for it I want some benefit in return. I want the balance to swing in MY favour. I want to be informed it is taken and control to choose whether I will allow it to be taken.

I fully understand you point here. The information about YOU has become a marketable commodity. With software vendors offering 'FREE' phone apps that collect data about your activities and report back to the app vendor in exchange for you being able to use there app.

Unfortunately the internet has a dark side that is exploited by both good and evil minded organizations/individuals.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 04:16:46 am »
Changing the channel on your Wifi can help boost the range of BT/2.4 keyboards. Sometimes they are fixed channel.

Some also have an RF connector on the PCB inside. Making a proper antenna for it will boost the range A LOT. (like 1meter -> 10meters)

A coke can can also be cut up to make a reflector which will boost the range a bit in one direction by reducing it in the other.
http://makezine.com/2013/03/26/how-to-improve-your-wifi-signal-using-a-soda-can-in-6-steps/

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:20:19 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 07:45:48 am »
I have looked at the Lenovo Multimedia Remote for my Samsung TV. In the end I didn't buy it because the damn TV doesn't support USB keyboards... It does look like a nice compact form factor though.
For the rare occasion I want to type something I use my Android phone with Samygo Remote.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:49 am »
A good quality bluetooth connection should go at least 5M

I was testing a bluetooth serial port module out the other day to tune a quadcopter while it was flying and we were getting around 10 meters with no probs.

Of course if you're in an area with the entire 2.4 band choc full of other peoples stuff nothing is ever going to work well on 2.4
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:11:15 am »
I have looked at the Lenovo Multimedia Remote for my Samsung TV. In the end I didn't buy it because the damn TV doesn't support USB keyboards... It does look like a nice compact form factor though.
For the rare occasion I want to type something I use my Android phone with Samygo Remote.

The wifi remote is far more responsive compared to the IR remote, i noticed it on my samsung when browsing my DLNA server, so my primary TV/HT remote is a tablet with IR transmitter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf