General > General Technical Chat

Missing items to buy for my soldering kit

(1/7) > >>

Boris_yo:
Hi. I made a photo of what I have for soldering. My locals told me that since I ordered from Aliexpress both soldering wick and solder wire lack flux. They said that they learned that stuff like this ordered from China lacks flux. It is mentioned 2.0% Flux on my soldering wire so I don't know but solder wick mentions no flux which defeats its purpose due to lack of capillary action.

I guess that lack of flux makes solder harder to adhere and affects conductivity as well. When I attempted to solder a wire the solder just didn't stay properly and after slight nudge of wire the solder came off.

Another thing they told me is that soldering tip became oxidized because I didn't apply solder in the process and didn't clean after working with it. They were right. They said I should buy a thick solder wire 1.0mm with flux rosin and apply on soldering tip.

I later learned about solder tinner which for dipping of soldering tip. It seems like a better option than applying solder wire every few minutes on soldering tip to prevent oxidation. In this case should I buy it in addition to soldering wire? I just don't know how to apply soldering wire on tip that I have. It's just small and not flat that solder can stay on. It will just fall down from the tip.

Another thing is, flux is also sold separately. I saw one in a mini-can where you dip soldering tip and another one is sold in syringe that you drop on a joint where you want to solder. Do I really need to buy soldering wire if I already have one (without flux/rosin) and just buy flux in a mini-can? Can I dip soldering wire in it and solder?

There is soldering paste sold as well. I am soldering very rarely when I need to fix small stuff. I need minimum items to do the job. What would you recommend me? Since I have only 1 soldering tip, should I buy a set of solder tips? I think working with a flat tip is easier to keep solder from dropping. Thank you.

nvmR:
Hey Boris,

I would recommend that you get a soldering iron with adjustable temperature, for example this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32434361333.html
and along with that several tips and a cleaning wire, for example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969829786.html

I am working with quality solder from Kester, purchased on amazon, which is leaded and contains flux.
Go over Dave's tutorial on soldering, and make sure to try to apply the solder to the target and not to the iron. Apply solder to both surfaces individually, and then just heat them up together to connect.

Happy soldering :)

Boris_yo:

--- Quote from: nvmR on August 19, 2022, 04:25:24 pm ---Hey Boris,

I would recommend that you get a soldering iron with adjustable temperature, for example this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32434361333.html
and along with that several tips and a cleaning wire, for example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969829786.html

--- End quote ---

Hello

I saw solder wire on reels and I saw twisted solder wire in tubes. Is there any difference other than form in which they are contained? Is it a matter of personal preference?

Which soldering wire would be your preference from this screenshot?

I remember how someone had to drip liquid flux on microchip and use heater to detach it for replacement. Is this flux in a bottle also used for other purposes that I would find need for?

AndyBeez:
Not sure there is such a thing as Tin-Palladium solder?
Any tin-lead solder on a reel is economic - small tubes cost more per meter. 1mm multicore is a good general purpose solder. For SMD working, 0.5mm is recommended.

Understand solder paste has a shelf life, which is why some people keep their paste in the fridge. Unless you are going to use paste in the next 12 months, don't buy. A bottle of liquid flux is very usefull - liquid flux improves the performance of solder braid.

If you're serious about your hobby, (you must) invest in a temperature controlled solder station - with a set of shaped bits. Some stations have hot air guns too. Like this...

Cubdriver:
The difference between reels and tubes for a given solder is just quantity.  As for type, I’d strongly recommend going with a known, established brand like Kester or Multicore.  My go-to is Kester 44 in 63-37.  I’ve heard too many tales of sketchy solders from China and simply don’t trust it.  This is more often than not a 'you get what you pay for' area, and worth splurging a bit.  Bad solder or flux will be endlessly frustrating.

Regarding irons, I’m less up to speed on current offerings, though I hear a lot of talk about the KSGER T12; it seems to be popular.  A temperature regulated iron is much easier to use, and typically safer for what you’re using it on.

-Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version