Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 501949 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #475 on: February 23, 2020, 10:20:57 am »
mechatrommer does not launch into several consecutive posts taking apart everything everyone said contradicting them with extreme ideology.
Extreme ?  :-//
Since when is defending your way of life and homeland extreme ideology ?

Why is it we judge a member by their flag ?
Recent events in history naturally promote xenophobia when the real history of most countries would make you think twice about them, their race and ideology.
Not one race is exempt of wrongdoing and their attempts to defend it and opinions only reflect on which side of the fence you sit. Mods included.

Careful Tautech.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #476 on: February 23, 2020, 10:25:04 am »
I'd rather there wasn't any fence lest we needn't choose a side.

How about you all just follow the rules and don't talk about politics?
I'm serious, it will only be tolerated so far, and if you do talk politics then you run the risk of eventually being banned from this forum. So don't complain if you push the boundaries and you get banned. And like I said, a big post count isn't going to save you, I have banned the 2nd highest poster on the forum before.
I don't care about the "but I didn't start it" excuses either.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, Kjelt, Kean

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #477 on: February 23, 2020, 10:30:40 am »
For petesake it is an ee forum.
The same **** happens on other forums i come. It never goes wrong on the main topic the forum was founded on like here electronics.
It always goes wrong in the afterhours topics and almost always it is religion, politics or competing fans from sportclubs that get it going.
Why? Because you can not discuss a persons beliefs and you should not, at least not on a ee forum IMO.

The mods here are very tolerant, IMO they should just delete any religious or political post right away.
Now back to electronics  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #478 on: February 23, 2020, 10:40:58 am »
The mods here are very tolerant, IMO they should just delete any religious or political post right away.

That's an option, but we don't (and can't) read every post and thread on the forum, so we have to rely on reports, or if we just happen to see it. I do that myself if someone just keeps doing it after being told to stop. And as I mentioned people just keep using the "but I didn't start it" excuse, or "you deleted my post but not the other persons", or they just have to have the last word etc. If you find your message magically gone, tough tits, you'll know why.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #479 on: February 23, 2020, 11:10:47 am »
Next time I see a political post regarding China, I'll just dox the poster and turn him and his connections in China to the Chinese government and not post a thing.

You just had a 7 day ban and the first thing you do when you come back is say you are going to dox posters? Wow.
You are heading head long into a permanent ban.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #480 on: February 23, 2020, 12:02:55 pm »
Blimey !

I tend to “hang out” in the thermal imaging sub-forum these days so miss all this political stuff happening.

Thankfully those interested in thermal imaging seem less inclined to talk politics and national beliefs. They do get frustrated by the various regulations applied to the distribution and capabilities of such technology but we tend stay clear of bashing another forum members country or political beliefs.

To me it would be sad to ‘fall out’ with someone because of their nationality or political beliefs. Sure I have to be careful what I share with people on this public forum but in general we get on very well together on the thermal forum and operate in the spirit of mutual help and support. Politics has a very nasty habit of getting in the way of friendships and sadly they can suffer as a result. It is best to keep politics out of technical discussions unless there is a very specific reason such as explaining the ITAR and Wassenaar Agreement to someone unaware.

I have said it before and I will say it again here. The EEVBlog is a most excellent platform for high quality discussions with very knowledgeable people. Politics can be a very divisive topic and does not belong here, just as when scientists from politically opposed countries work together for the greater good and leave politics parked at the lab entrance.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: February 23, 2020, 12:19:22 pm »
Blueskull,

You post a lot up of interesting material and normally seem friendly in the posts that I have seen.

Your last post here saddens me though. My background is in the world of international Diplomacy and I covered China as one of my regions. Hearing someone say that they will report people to their Government for what they say on this forum is nothing short of extreme and is a very good reason in itself for this forum to discourage political postings.

Informing on people with a differing political view can be a particularly unpleasant life choice. Throughout history such a ‘spying neighbour’ policy has belonged in highly oppressive regimes that use fear of those around you as a means of control. Please think carefully about making such threatening statements as it really does not show you in a good light. No one likes a political informer, not even their Government handlers !

Let’s stay away from politics and remain ‘friends’ on this forum eh :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:21:00 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, blueskull, I wanted a rude username

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: February 23, 2020, 12:47:51 pm »
Blueskull,

I did not see the post by this Weston person. I only saw your comment on this thread and in isolation it seemed worrying and out of character for you. Hence my comment. As I said I want to remain friends on this forum and I do not delve into people’s political beliefs for that reason.

If the posting on this forum gave you concerns regarding a persons motives and potential threat to your fellow citizens or country, you are right to raise those concerns with the appropriate authorities. Sadly your post appeared to read as if you would report anyone who spoke out about your countries politics and beliefs. That did seem a little extreme. I apologise if I read more into the post than was intended when you wrote it.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #483 on: February 23, 2020, 12:54:57 pm »
Your last post here saddens me though. My background is in the world of international Diplomacy and I covered China as one of my regions. Hearing someone say that they will report people to their Government for what they say on this forum is nothing short of extreme and is a very good reason in itself for this forum to discourage political postings.

Not will, he already bragged that he has reported a forum member to the government.
I think I can be fairly confident in predicting that Blueskull is not going to last on this forum much longer, he just can't help himself.
Instead of just come back from the ban and keep his head down, he's come out swinging.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #484 on: February 23, 2020, 12:56:58 pm »
Yup, I just realized the stupid verbiage. And of course, I don't own Chinese government. If I reported an innocent person, they won't do a thing.

Blueskull, just stick to electronics, you have been warned (not the first time). Do not post in this thread again.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #485 on: February 23, 2020, 09:53:55 pm »
mechatrommer does not launch into several consecutive posts taking apart everything everyone said contradicting them with extreme ideology.
Extreme ?  :-//
Since when is defending your way of life and homeland extreme ideology ?

Why is it we judge a member by their flag ?
Recent events in history naturally promote xenophobia when the real history of most countries would make you think twice about them, their race and ideology.
Not one race is exempt of wrongdoing and their attempts to defend it and opinions only reflect on which side of the fence you sit. Mods included.

Careful Tautech.
I'm very much trying to be Dave and been here long enough not to envy the moderators knife edge of making decisions about posts, moderation and bans without even a hint of personal bias brought about by their personal views or past dealings with any particular member. I'm well aware reports of posts bring about a workload mods can well do without except in cases where a newish member hasn't made some valuable contribution to the forum.
The loss of some members and their past valuable contributions however does sadden me.

We well know politics enters into many threads and I personally hate it too as there's no need for cheap shots against any member or their country be they arise from recent or historical events.
However the restraint or lack of from any member reacting to gibes shouldn't be the mods main focus IMO but those that throw the first stone like some misguided reflection of their national pride or their governments brainwashing.

Despite having you lock an Armistice Day thread I started I now appreciate exactly why you did as it could've turned into a shitstorm too. Really I should've known better, sorry.  :-[
Personally I'd like to see threads that have the potential to go political get locked very promptly with a closing note from mods simply stating it's an OT thread for an electronic forum just like you did in the Armistice Day thread which sends a very clear message to members.

None of us need for this 'no politics' debate to continually go round and around like some perpetual motion machine so how can you send a stronger "no debate, this is just how it is" message ?
Could we members do more to give mods the 'heads up' when threads of this nature open ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #486 on: February 23, 2020, 10:39:15 pm »
Appealing, but any algorithm can be gamed :(

In this case a malefactor could drop in and cause a thread to be locked - one form of a denial of service attack.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #487 on: February 23, 2020, 10:40:11 pm »
Personally I'd like to see threads that have the potential to go political get locked very promptly with a closing note from mods simply stating it's an OT thread for an electronic forum just like you did in the Armistice Day thread which sends a very clear message to members.

Political threads should not be set up in the first place, and there are very few of them. Therefore most threads that "have the potential to turn political" didn't start out with that intention. So locking otherwise potentially on-topic threads, whilst being a signal to those who turned it political, it also harms all those others who wanted to discuss the actual topic.

I'm more inclined to just delete political posts instead of locking threads, that sends a message to the instigators whilst keeping the thread on-topic and open for others.

The following users thanked this post: The Soulman

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #488 on: February 23, 2020, 10:41:07 pm »
Appealing, but any algorithm can be gamed :(
In this case a malefactor could drop in and cause a thread to be locked - one form of a denial of service attack.

I have a feeling that some people get a kick out of getting a thread locked.

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #489 on: February 23, 2020, 10:59:41 pm »
That's likely. Reddit used to have a problem with users competing to get the most negative account karma, until they capped it at -100. Some people get frustrated with not being noticed for positive contributions and aim for negative ones instead ... and that is arguably easier.

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #490 on: February 24, 2020, 12:19:30 am »
It's really unfortunate that I am having a forum member threatening to dox me and claiming he reported me to the Chinese government after telling me he hopes my partners father rots in jail. This seems way beyond what is acceptable behavior.

I simply asked if blueskull had any more info on the Coronavirus outbreak in Shandong province as that is where my partners father is most likely being detained after being disappeared. Blueskull had previously mentioned there was an outbreak of coronavirus in the prison system there.

Luckily, doxing is an empty threat. I have no intention of stepping foot in mainland China under the current political system and I stand by everything I have said. I post my own work under my own name and have nothing to hide.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2020, 12:21:01 am »
I'm more inclined to just delete political posts instead of locking threads, that sends a message to the instigators whilst keeping the thread on-topic and open for others.
Sure, and properly appropriate if both the stone thrower and stone returner get the same treatment.

One post gets reported and yet it's missed what caused that post to be made and then be reported.
Like I mentioned a few posts back, there is always 2 sides to a story.

Do you think you need more moderators to spread the load ?

That's likely. Reddit used to have a problem with users competing to get the most negative account karma, until they capped it at -100. Some people get frustrated with not being noticed for positive contributions and aim for negative ones instead ... and that is arguably easier.
And exactly the reason why Dave only enabled Thanks a few years back.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2020, 12:57:16 am »
Sure, and properly appropriate if both the stone thrower and stone returner get the same treatment.
One post gets reported and yet it's missed what caused that post to be made and then be reported.

I don't care if there are two sides, if a post gets reported and it's not appropriate then it risks getting deleted, or more if the person has a history of doing it.
Don't want your political post deleted? Don't post it.
Do not react to other people's posts, it's a pretty simple concept, yet some people just can't help themselves.
This is not a moderated TV political debate where we have to give equal time to each debater.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2020, 01:09:21 am »
OK Dave thanks for engaging on this to date. I have further thoughts which I could share in private if you wish rather than further clutter up this thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #494 on: February 24, 2020, 01:43:58 am »
OK Dave thanks for engaging on this to date. I have further thoughts which I could share in private if you wish rather than further clutter up this thread.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in any private discussion on this. You are just one of thousands of possible opinions, and if I engage you I have to engage a thousand others.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: February 24, 2020, 02:14:25 am »

Sorry, but I'm not interested in any private discussion on this. You are just one of thousands of possible opinions, and if I engage you I have to engage a thousand others.
OK, thanks. We'll keep it here or in the Moderation thread in the Supporters lounge.
Some is a bit delicate so there still just might be a PM at some time with a FYI.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: February 24, 2020, 04:47:51 am »

Indeed,  but this forum, & QRZ.com are a lot more easy going than many.

Over on Whirlpool.com, you can have posts removed if you try to straighten out a previous poster's factual error in a series of previously apparently moderator immune "Off topic" posts.

The brand enthusiasts on the "internet providers" & "automotive" sub fora run rampant, but don't you dare use the term "fan-boi"!

The worst of all, however is the sports site "The Roar", where, if you post something contrary to the narrative the majority are pushing, it just "disappears".

Do you think you need more moderators to spread the load ?

And exactly the reason why Dave only enabled Thanks a few years back.

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2020, 06:34:09 am »
I have thought about the original incident over the past day and must admit, I am at least at part in fault and for that I apologize. The question if asked to most of the other posters would have been benign and I was hoping to get some insight, but given Blueskull's strong nationalist feelings I could have at least predicted the likely response.

That incident is now in the past, but I would like to bring attention to Blueskull's threat to report me and others to the CCP if they make comments putting China in a bad light. I, and others in the west, might find the concept a bit laughable, but he obviously finds it serious. If you do not know what happens to those in China who speak out against the CCP, look it up. He is threatening what he sees as real harm to me and others if we step foot in China.

I get that he has a much older account than me and has contributed more, but is there really some threshold at which you allow someone to make threats to others in the community?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2020, 07:05:51 am »
I get that he has a much older account than me and has contributed more, but is there really some threshold at which you allow someone to make threats to others in the community?

Never had it happen before.
Technically, he said he wouldn't publicly dox or post on this forum, and there is no personal threat from him, so  :-//
Personally I think it's a really dick move, and in my book puts him ever closer to getting banned permanently.

And yes, you are right, in the west this (relatively common) benign threat of "I'm calling the cops" just gets laughed away.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:08:39 am by EEVblog »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #499 on: March 01, 2020, 08:53:21 pm »

Tautech, I think I see the mods' POV: each individual only has control over oneself, not over others. Counteracting every dissonant POV or attack is the entire responsibility of the poster and no one else. If more followed this, the stupid US metric thread would have fizzled 40 pages ago, but it kept going though the actions of a troll playing others like a fiddle.

And yes, I have swallowed my pride and walked away from threads many times before simply because it wasn't worth it.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf