Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 501481 times)

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »

What about finding another mod to add? It seems like GeoffS gets stuck with most of the OT load, maybe somebody could help lighten that a bit.

Dave has this in hand.
In some magical fairy land, people would report off topic posts instead of responding to them and threads would never drift off topic but this being the real world, or at least the internet, you need someone to put in the boot now and then. I have big feet.  :)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:18 pm »
I'd volunteer, but be forewarned, anything with nice boobs stays, and anything posted by Roland will instantly vanish.   :-DD

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 03:18:02 pm »
I'd volunteer, but be forewarned, anything with nice boobs stays, and anything posted by Roland will instantly vanish.   :-DD
Too late, roland has left the building.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 03:27:31 pm »
There are a couple of SMF mods that will show a a banned status against a user's avatar or even replace the avatar.
I might suggest to Dave we look at one of these.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 03:44:24 pm »
Moderating requests are rising as the forum grows and it's more difficult to keep tabs on people and things get pettier or people can't care less about what they say that because they think it does not matter on the internet.

What about finding another mod to add? It seems like GeoffS gets stuck with most of the OT load, maybe somebody could help lighten that a bit.

It's also the sheer size of the thing now, when we were a few hundred members we self moderated as people were respectful of each other because we all read all of the forum and we moderated each other and poeple knew that what they post today will be remembered for months to come, now it is the size it is we can't remember or even see what everyone says and make character judgments, we used to know who to give a break and who ust needed asking to stop being stupid but with size comes complication. with lots of moderators one person will be dealt with by more than one moderator so one person cannot have the full picture about another.

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 05:41:06 pm »
Too late, roland has left the building.

I was actually going to PM you or Simon about him.  He seems to like to start shit then "walk out" about 50 times a thread.  He also PM'd me several times admonishing me for being condescending to him.  I was fairly certain after several days of this that he was just a very clever troll.  I'm glad you guys saw this before I had to mention it.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 05:51:12 pm »
well that is the power of the report button... when used correctly

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 08:30:09 pm »
I read this forum for the on-topic content, not religion or politics (unless it's somehow electronics news related like the NBN, etc).

It's a shame some members don't think twice (or even once!) before posting.  Read over your post (or preview it) and consider if it's appropriate before hitting the post button.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 11:26:43 pm »

I was actually going to PM you or Simon about him.  He seems to like to start shit then "walk out" about 50 times a thread.  He also PM'd me several times admonishing me for being condescending to him.  I was fairly certain after several days of this that he was just a very clever troll.  I'm glad you guys saw this before I had to mention it.

As Simon has said, that's the power of the report button.
Personal abuse either in a post or via PM is against the rules. We might have gotten rid of the offender earlier!

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:43 pm »
There have been (and still are) LOTS of users I would like to have on my ban list but as a moderator, you can't really do that.
You have to read the bad posts along with the good.
I do have a ban hammer which is a lot more fun  >:D

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2014, 12:09:46 am »
ignore lists
I looked for an ignore list the other day figuring there must be something like that somewhere but I came up empty handed. Now I find it under profile>modify profile>buddies/ignore list...

I expected to find a link on the users profile.

Anyway, thanks for reassuring me that it existed somewhere. Have I missed an easier way to ignore someone? (apart from, well; simply ignoring them... :D)

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2014, 12:17:32 am »

As Simon has said, that's the power of the report button.
Personal abuse either in a post or via PM is against the rules. We might have gotten rid of the offender earlier!

I wouldn't qualify his PMs as "abuse," as much as they were just a minor annoyance.  I say he was a clever troll because he stopped short of outright trolling (like Integrated Value's recent post), but everything he did was very troll-like.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2014, 01:02:19 am »

A few weeks ago I asked about why the "add to buddy list" is available directly from a click on the username but not ignore list. I assume it is an option but nothing came of it.

I don't use it all that often but I can't but help think it would be an effective tool to use on a new Troll. A bit like lowering the control rods into a nuclear reactor to slow down the reaction.

This feature for SMF has been requested a few times but to date, nothing has been done about it. A mod does exist but it's too old to use with the current version of SMF used here.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 06:04:02 am »
Anyway, thanks for reassuring me that it existed somewhere. Have I missed an easier way to ignore someone? (apart from, well; simply ignoring them... :D)

For convenience for some time I have described the way to use it in my signature. Not that the crybabies "you are so mean by telling me playing with 120V and having no clue is dangerous" care. But well ...
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2014, 12:53:59 pm »
I wish I'd thought of that. Sigh.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Moderaton
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2014, 05:13:36 am »
Hmm... I don't think this forum is suitable for the reply I'd like to make. Especially since geoffs is playing delete-undelete-delete games again. Now one post I made in this thread and he deleted is restored, but his announcement of that deletion and my reply to him are deleted. Gee, and I wasn't even rude. Ah well, you know where to see it.

Same here. Moderation got absurd recently.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2014, 08:07:32 am »
once a post is deleted it is gone and cannot be recovered.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2014, 06:20:50 pm »
Possible spammer:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=showposts;u=95221

Basically, his posts come across as a hybrid between a spam-bot and a human. More telling is that his about field says "The Self-Testing Red LED exit sign" and his website links to that site. It looks like his means of spamming and getting around all of the restrictions most sites have on links in posts etc.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:34 pm »
Possible spammer:

Basically, his posts come across as a hybrid between a spam-bot and a human. More telling is that his about field says "The Self-Testing Red LED exit sign" and his website links to that site. It looks like his means of spamming and getting around all of the restrictions most sites have on links in posts etc.

Best way to report this sort of thing is via the Report to Moderator button.
User has been dealt with.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2014, 08:53:05 pm »
To clever this up, when it says guest next to someone name does this men a moderator has deleted them or they have deleted themselves?
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline Alucard

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2015, 03:38:53 am »
To clever this up, when it says guest next to someone name does this men a moderator has deleted them or they have deleted themselves?

Could be both. SMF lets members delete their account for whatever reason.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:19 am »
Possible spammer:

Best way to report this sort of thing is via the Report to Moderator button.
User has been dealt with.

Yes please click report post if you have a concern. I agree those look dubious, it's a person with nothing to say that uses a well known template for "replying" to things without having anything to say just to get posts out there. Thry do that build up a base of posts and then edit their profile like their signature so that it applies to all old posts and suddenly their in business - or so they think. Unfortunately all I can do is ban them and delete posts only Dave or probably Seppy now can delete the actual account and that gives you the option of removing posts with the account.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:07 am »
Spammer.  Got a PM from this guy:

Hello
Here we EasyAcc come to the 3rd anniversary celebration next month. A big 7-day great savings, which offers different hottest products at the best price, up to 65% off, is going to be on line from 7.13 to 7.19. Wha't more, here is an iPhone 6s (7) giveaway. Sounds great?
If possible, we'd like to invite you to write an article about the summer surprise, especially the iPhone 6s(7) for free.  And we do hope you add some news about our anniversary at the last paragraph in your article. (More details please check our active page, http://www.somespamsite.com/anniversary-hot-sales/. ) Maybe the title can be: Amazon 20th x EasyAcc 3rd Anniversary Promotion:***. Because we are propagating EasyAcc 3rd Anniversary, so more users will search and maybe read your article, i think that's really a Win - Win. Of course, we are so happy to send you one Power bank below as a gift.

(Spam links removed)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and we looking forward to your reply.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:05:24 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 08:05:28 am »
^Got a PM from the same user and with the same text

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 08:20:23 am »
Ban him.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf