Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 501484 times)

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #500 on: March 01, 2020, 10:33:08 pm »

One post gets reported and yet it's missed what caused that post to be made and then be reported.
Like I mentioned a few posts back, there is always 2 sides to a story.
Tautech, I think I see the mods' POV: each individual only has control over oneself, not over others. Counteracting every dissonant POV or attack is the entire responsibility of the poster and no one else. If more followed this, the stupid US metric thread would have fizzled 40 pages ago, but it kept going though the actions of a troll playing others like a fiddle.

And yes, I have swallowed my pride and walked away from threads many times before simply because it wasn't worth it.
The difficulty is, who is the troll. There can be 10 trolls against 1 who is fighting for the right thing. It's called group dynamics, or bullying. It's always easier for an admin to take the one out of the game. This does not serve the truth, which was the fundamental part of the discourse. Even you don't know whether the one against the ten others doesn't rather speak the truth against a quantitative superiority.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:37:46 pm by hwj-d »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #501 on: March 01, 2020, 11:26:10 pm »

One post gets reported and yet it's missed what caused that post to be made and then be reported.
Tautech, I think I see the mods' POV: each individual only has control over oneself, not over others. Counteracting every dissonant POV or attack is the entire responsibility of the poster and no one else. If more followed this, the stupid US metric thread would have fizzled 40 pages ago, but it kept going though the actions of a troll playing others like a fiddle.

And yes, I have swallowed my pride and walked away from threads many times before simply because it wasn't worth it.
The difficulty is, who is the troll. There can be 10 trolls against 1 who is fighting for the right thing. It's called group dynamics, or bullying. It's always easier for an admin to take the one out of the game. This does not serve the truth, which was the fundamental part of the discourse. Even you don't know whether the one against the ten others doesn't rather speak the truth against a quantitative superiority.
I am referring to a person's ability to own its own actions, not an endless pursue of "the truth". After all, the justification I quoted read to me that a ban may be unfair if someone is provoked and feels that has no alternative other than respond and argue. My point is there is. Walk away and do not engage, regardless of how hurt your pride is (or your country's or your whatever). If you have facts, present them and disengage. Yeah, it is easier said than done. Bullies and trolls exhibit narcisistic and psychopath traits that cannot be dealt in writing and by random people on the internet. Leave the discussion and deflate the power they are trying to exert over you.

Also, I'd wager that a significant part of derailed threads there's no way to know "the truth" - it is surely true for the example I mentioned (US metric) or the political/sociological debates. This makes moderation quite difficult.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #502 on: March 02, 2020, 12:19:39 am »
I think we are actually talking about different experiences. It's up to you, what to do with your own. It will not be possible to derive a globally valid rule from yours, not more than one proposal of goodness.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #503 on: March 02, 2020, 01:17:13 am »

Understood and agree in principle, however how moderators deal with this is not always consistent and there's other discussions happening about this currently happening. That we can discuss this is great but it does feel like airing our dirty laundry in public as Dave has made it quite clear he doesn't want to engage in discussions about this privately.

We can't see what's happening behind the moderation scenes however banned members I've had the opportunity to contact outside EEVblog have disclosed moderation experiences that are below the standard I have experienced and if 100% true, substandard and not in the forums best interests hence the comments I make about there being 2 sides to the story.

Yes when in a thread and there's little to be achieved by continued participation it's the best solution for ones sanity  however when injustice is seemingly done it's becoming increasingly difficult not to mention it.

We can only hope some points discussed here get taken onboard.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #504 on: March 02, 2020, 03:05:02 am »
Also, I'd wager that a significant part of derailed threads there's no way to know "the truth" - it is surely true for the example I mentioned (US metric) or the political/sociological debates. This makes moderation quite difficult.

And in most cases it's a waste of time even trying. This forum has always tried to be a "lead by example" type self moderation. If you think a thread has gone off topic, then don't complain about it, don't mention it, don't report it, just post something back on topic. Very often all it takes is one on-topic post again and people get back on track talking about that thing again.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, hwj-d, Chris_Walch

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #505 on: March 02, 2020, 03:14:45 am »
Understood and agree in principle, however how moderators deal with this is not always consistent and there's other discussions happening about this currently happening. That we can discuss this is great but it does feel like airing our dirty laundry in public as Dave has made it quite clear he doesn't want to engage in discussions about this privately.

And the reason for that is very obvious. This forum has 10's of thousands of members, all with very different ideas on how moderation should happen. Yet some people think I should engage them privately on this, because they have the answers, where the thousands of others do not  ::)
Same reason I don't answer personal technical email inquiries any more, it would suck my life away.
The forum has been operating pretty well for a decade now regardless of what some people think. Life isn't always fair or consistent.

We can only hope some points discussed here get taken onboard.

You speak for absolutely no one else but yourself.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Karel

Offline carloserodriguez

« Reply #506 on: March 04, 2020, 12:31:53 am »
It's very simple.  Just don't reply them.

As for quality? Well remember if you are not buying from the brand or from a licensed supplier, then you are likely buying parts that are rejects which might work if you don't operate at the margins.
 Low cost parts are probably operational but not in spec. So only buy if you know the operating mode is in the middle.
 You can not blame them. Technically you are supporting illegal parts.  LOL.
 They are gettting you cheap parts that you can use but must assume operating range will be in the middle at best.

If you are lucky, they might be stolen Prime parts.

If you want spec parts you have to buy from licensed suppliers.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #507 on: March 04, 2020, 12:25:02 pm »
I'm not sure if the Mods/Admins are aware but there seems to be a (technical, not content-related) problem with one of the threads in the Test Equipment forum:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds5104x-disappointing/

The page ends at reply #17, later all subsequent replies are not visible as isn't the bottom part with the ad that's visible on other thread's pages.

First I thought it's just a problem with my browser but then I noted that Tom66 noted that this seems to be a forum bug.

Other threads I looked at seemed to be fine but this weren't many so there may well be other threads affected by this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:37:57 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #508 on: March 04, 2020, 12:59:30 pm »
Have seen this a couple of times before on SMF.  We had one here a while back and I notified Dave, who tried to chase it down, but it was elusive.

It only affects that particular page.  Go to the next page and it's ok.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #509 on: March 04, 2020, 01:01:51 pm »
Seems to have to do with damaged images.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #510 on: March 04, 2020, 08:25:24 pm »
I'm not sure if the Mods/Admins are aware but there seems to be a (technical, not content-related) problem with one of the threads in the Test Equipment forum:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds5104x-disappointing/

The page ends at reply #17, later all subsequent replies are not visible as isn't the bottom part with the ad that's visible on other thread's pages.

First I thought it's just a problem with my browser but then I noted that Tom66 noted that this seems to be a forum bug.

Other threads I looked at seemed to be fine but this weren't many so there may well be other threads affected by this.
Yeah I broke it with a damaged PNG file.  :palm:
Already notified the mods and given them the file name and I can see it in my uploaded attachments but there's no way to delete it I can see.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #511 on: March 05, 2020, 05:20:37 am »
Back on topic, how many people have had a "run in" with nix85?

He epitomises the type of poster who pops up, asking a question, only to tell those answering that they are wrong, & don't know what they are talking about.

In the  meantime, everybody has wasted time they will never get back, just because they tried to be helpful.

I don't mind being contradicted by someone who knows as much, or more, than me, but when the person presenting as lacking knowledge does so, I wonder why he doesn't just go to some other site where misinformed folk can swap incorrect information & slap each other on the back.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2020, 09:39:47 am »
<Post deleted>

I can see now that Simon's "Click Me" was a work in progress.
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2020, 03:04:25 pm »
This simon guy is shilling his own website in every post and clearly finding every reason to post while doing it...  This is a bad look...
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2020, 03:11:08 pm »
....said the guy whose 2 puppet accounts were banned.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
« Reply #515 on: March 07, 2020, 03:14:12 pm »
I don't know what a puppet account is...  I made the shiller mad and he banned one account, I had 2 more bird accounts that were clearly mine, I wasn't trying to hide, is that a puppet account?  This is a moderation thread anyway, please...
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #516 on: March 07, 2020, 05:06:36 pm »
There is no reason for having multiple accounts on a forum unless it's for trolling... which we see proven here.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: March 07, 2020, 06:15:43 pm »
There is no reason for having multiple accounts on a forum unless it's for trolling... which we see proven here.

Well, there is. Had the forum rules of "one account only" not prohibited it, I would have created, just for a gag, a second account 'bd140' just to (openly) joke at bd139 by saying things that were complementary (but not necessarily complimentary) to what he was saying.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, james_s

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #518 on: March 07, 2020, 06:22:43 pm »
Then how do you post when a shilling mod is banning every account you make as soon as he suspects it is you?  I've created hundreds of accounts on this site over the years.  I rarely use any account for more than a few months, this is how you keep entities from selling your information.  You use a burner email address, make an account (or group of accounts themed, like birds! Or spaceships! Etc  ;D) and use them for a while and then dump them. 

Watch this, the shill mod will ban this account, even though I am being polite and all that means is I will make another account next time I want to post  :-DD

You seem to have been creating these accounts, not to evade commercial surveillance, but because you're a trouble maker who is deliberately trying to evade the mechanisms, both technical (of the forum) and social ("Oh, it's what 'is name. He's a worthless, shit stiring tit so we'll all ignore him"), that moderate discourse here. I mean, if you haven't the courage of your convictions to have what you say associated with your name (be it pseudonymous) then it's open to others to conclude that you really haven't anything to say worth listening to.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #519 on: March 07, 2020, 06:41:12 pm »
Watch this, the shill mod will ban this account, even though I am being polite

I would suggest that using insulting descriptors isn't being polite. Even if true (and I have no idea either way) it is being deliberately provocative to describe him thus.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #520 on: March 07, 2020, 06:46:42 pm »
Watch this, the shill mod will ban this account, even though I am being polite

I would suggest that using insulting descriptors isn't being polite. Even if true (and I have no idea either way) it is being deliberately provocative to describe him thus.

Well, describing Simon as a 'shilling mod' is also unfair, he's worth at least 10/6d.  :)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2020, 07:01:44 pm »
Cheap at twice the price.

Or something.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2020, 07:29:45 pm »
He's worth at least 10/6 3/4d if you remember farthings.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2020, 08:06:31 pm »
Then how do you post when a shilling mod is banning every account you make as soon as he suspects it is you?  I've created hundreds of accounts on this site over the years.  I rarely use any account for more than a few months, this is how you keep entities from selling your information.  You use a burner email address, make an account (or group of accounts themed, like birds! Or spaceships! Etc  ;D) and use them for a while and then dump them. 

Watch this, the shill mod will ban this account, even though I am being polite and all that means is I will make another account next time I want to post  :-DD
What else do you expect as a new member coming here and slagging the moderators ?  :-//
You hardly set a good example for other members to follow.

Play nice, refrain from politics, treat others with respect and keep OT (electronics is much preferred) and mods will leave you in peace.
It ain't that hard or your stay here again will be short.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #524 on: March 07, 2020, 08:20:30 pm »
As far as using your real name... On the internet?  Really?

Nobody suggested that you ought to do that. You choose to deliberately misinterpret what has been said to you so that you can act the victim.

It's quite clear from your posts of the last 24 hours alone that you are not merely stating your opinions politely. You've been trying to pick fights. You derailed a discussion on compliance certification that was nothing about China (it was started by a Canadian interested in exporting) into yet another China bashing thread. Then made a gratuitous remark about China and Taiwan here:

Disagree on the china manufacturing quality, though.  My experience with chinese quality is that it has become more consistent, but not better.  I am excluding Taiwan from this because Taiwan is not china; Taiwan quality has been decent for some time and has definitely gotten better over time.  I have quite a bit of experience trying to teach chinese engineers and my impression is that there is no actual design that takes place in mainland china  :-DD

knowing that it would provoke a response from our resident, well known Chinese nationalist. And when your backside got a moderatorial kicking, you immediately created a new account thus:

Don't try and sound as if butter wouldn't melt in your mouth. If that isn't an example of deliberate trouble making then I don't know what is. You are not the victim here, don't try and pretend that you are. You are fooling nobody.

You've been through what, three accounts today? You're like a bloke that the barkeep has kicked out who comes back with a false moustache, gets kicked out again, nips home, borrows his mum's frock and tries to sneak in again - while still doing the thing he got kicked out for. A sane man would go home, take the ridiculous frock off, sober up and perhaps come back when enough time had elapsed that the barkeep is prepared to give them a second chance. Give it a rest, you're beginning to make yourself look a bit pathetic.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf