Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 503998 times)

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #525 on: March 07, 2020, 10:34:29 pm »
Then how do you post when a shilling mod is banning every account you make as soon as he suspects it is you?  I've created hundreds of accounts on this site over the years.  I rarely use any account for more than a few months, this is how you keep entities from selling your information.  You use a burner email address, make an account (or group of accounts themed, like birds! Or spaceships! Etc  ;D) and use them for a while and then dump them. 

Watch this, the shill mod will ban this account, even though I am being polite and all that means is I will make another account next time I want to post  :-DD
What else do you expect as a new member coming here and slagging the moderators ?  :-//
You hardly set a good example for other members to follow.

Play nice, refrain from politics, treat others with respect and keep OT (electronics is much preferred) and mods will leave you in peace.
It ain't that hard or your stay here again will be short.

It all started because he had to have a china versus the west argument. Nothing at all to do with me but he got offended that yet again he was stirring it up and being told not to. I don't get the shilling thing, he is completely irrational. He can't win one thing so has to invent another to complain about.

He also does not seem to realize that it's not me versus him. Every time he opens a new account and annoys people I get a report. He probably won't accept that he is annoying plenty of people on here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:39:21 pm by Simon »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #526 on: March 07, 2020, 10:52:05 pm »
You should do away with the silly exclamation mark thing !, and and put back the Banned banner, otherwise people won't get the message nor the permanent reminder that they are no longer welcome here.

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #527 on: March 07, 2020, 10:55:02 pm »
Dave though it was not a good look for newcomers where new members arrive and happen on posts by banned people. We have people that are great for a long time and make lots of posts then go off their head and get banned. That can leave a lot of posts around with "BANNED" on them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #528 on: March 07, 2020, 11:05:22 pm »
I don't know what a puppet account is...  I made the shiller mad and he banned one account, I had 2 more bird accounts that were clearly mine, I wasn't trying to hide, is that a puppet account?  This is a moderation thread anyway, please...

We do not tolerate multiple accounts here, never have.

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #529 on: March 07, 2020, 11:06:50 pm »
not a good look for newcomers where new members arrive and happen on posts by banned people

Or even non-members, who might be dissuaded from joining. I would normally not agree with this kind of whitewashing, but this forum has many incoming links and probably the majority of people will first encounter it via one of those ... frequently to discussions that took place years ago.

Anyway, the meaning of the icon is sufficiently clear.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #530 on: March 07, 2020, 11:10:20 pm »
You should do away with the silly exclamation mark thing !, and and put back the Banned banner, otherwise people won't get the message nor the permanent reminder that they are no longer welcome here.

As Simon mentioned, I don't think it's a good look to new people to show a big "BANNED" banner next to messages. This is not an overly moderated forum, and I don't want new comers (who often come from highly moderated forums). And if we have to ban a member with thousands of messages (it happens sometimes unfortunately) then that's thousands of messages with "BANNED" next to them.
So the exclamation mark is there so experienced members know they have been banned, but not off-putting for newbies.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: March 07, 2020, 11:12:14 pm »

As Simon mentioned, I don't think it's a good look to new people to show a big "BANNED" banner next to messages. This is not an overly moderated forum, and I don't want new comers (who often come from highly moderated forums). And if we have to ban a member with thousands of messages (it happens sometimes unfortunately) then that's thousands of messages with "BANNED" next to them.
So the exclamation mark is there so experienced members know they have been banned, but not off-putting for newbies.

Agreed. The last thing you want is this place turning into another Whirlpool with a large number of users suspended due to over-zealous moderation (or at least the perception of that).

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #532 on: March 07, 2020, 11:15:55 pm »
Then how do you post when a shilling mod is banning every account you make as soon as he suspects it is you?  I've created hundreds of accounts on this site over the years.  I rarely use any account for more than a few months, this is how you keep entities from selling your information.  You use a burner email address, make an account (or group of accounts themed, like birds! Or spaceships! Etc  ;D) and use them for a while and then dump them. 

Watch this, the shill mod will ban this account, even though I am being polite and all that means is I will make another account next time I want to post  :-DD
What else do you expect as a new member coming here and slagging the moderators ?  :-//
You hardly set a good example for other members to follow.

Play nice, refrain from politics, treat others with respect and keep OT (electronics is much preferred) and mods will leave you in peace.
It ain't that hard or your stay here again will be short.

It all started because he had to have a china versus the west argument. Nothing at all to do with me but he got offended that yet again he was stirring it up and being told not to. I don't get the shilling thing, he is completely irrational. He can't win one thing so has to invent another to complain about.

He also does not seem to realize that it's not me versus him. Every time he opens a new account and annoys people I get a report. He probably won't accept that he is annoying plenty of people on here.
Yes I know, I've been watching too and we've exchanged emails about this and IMO you have more than patient with this new/old member that apparently shows little respect for the forum or you.
Once asked nicely publically and via PM's, blatant public disrespect of you or other mods should be a ban. Period.
That you may have some squabble in PM's or emails doesn't impact on the forum so should be given more slack IMO.
But bring it back to the forum and it's bye bye birdie goodbye !

Good luck Solomon.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #533 on: March 08, 2020, 03:45:39 am »
What about when the mod is disrespectful to begin with?  If you throw something in my face, I will throw it back.  If you want to ask something nicely, I will be nice back.  It's pretty simple...

If you disagree with the moderation, take it up with that mod in private. Don't turn it into an argument in public. Keep in mind, it's impossible to keep everyone happy, all the time.

As far as multiple accounts, when an account gets permanently banned, and you create another, I don't think that is multiple accounts.

You need to come to terms with the fact that as long as this is a public forum, you cannot ban someone, they just create another account.  I can understand agressively trying to prevent someone from using a forum if they are a total jerk and causing mayhem or damage to the forum, but what did I do?  Disagree with a mod?  And this results in instant ban as soon as he suspects it is me?

Circumventing a ban by creating a secondary account is deemed multiple accounts. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Moderators temporarily or permanently ban users for a good reason and those reasons are set down by Dave (the owner of this forum). If you are told something by Dave or a moderator, then accept that as the rules of the forum. Users here have it pretty easy. This is one of the least moderated forums on the internet, particularly for the number of active users it has.

At the end of the day, if you're unhappy with the decision of a moderator or your dislike what someone says in public, sleep on it, accept the difference of opinion and move on. It's an argument you won't win.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: March 08, 2020, 03:57:36 am »
I am not trying to argue.  Just trying to contibute.

I didn't suggest you were trying to argue. I should be more clear: My responses weren't directed at you, they were directed at the wider audience. When I referred to "you" I meant the reader.

I see no reason to ban or censor someone for such an opinion, it makes no sense unless you sympathize with that genocide.  That's all.

Because this is an Electronics forum and Dave has made it quite clear that occasional off-topic stuff is OK, but try to keep it on-track.

When threads start getting political, they almost always derail because some people can't help themselves and absolutely must have the last word. At some point a moderator has to step in to halt the snowball.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:59:54 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #535 on: March 08, 2020, 04:33:03 am »
I love chinese people, I just believe their government is evil, and there is nothing wrong with that and I think that anyone who knows what is going on over there would understand and agree.  I see no reason to ban or censor someone for such an opinion, it makes no sense unless you sympathize with that genocide.  That's all.

Because this is an electronics forum, and we try and keep it electronics related, so we generally don't allow politics here. If you don't like that then you are free to not post here.
This is not the place to express such opinions or try to educate people on such matters. Again, if you don't like that, this is not the forum for you.
I have seen good forums destroyed because they let politics, religions, and gun talk get out of control, I will not let that happen here.
But even after warnings some people just cannot control themselves, and the only end result is they will get banned.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #536 on: March 08, 2020, 04:37:33 am »
You need to come to terms with the fact that as long as this is a public forum, you cannot ban someone, they just create another account.  I can understand agressively trying to prevent someone from using a forum if they are a total jerk and causing mayhem or damage to the forum, but what did I do?  Disagree with a mod?  And this results in instant ban as soon as he suspects it is me?
Psh. 
Hi Simon  ;) ;) ;)

So you are a former member who got banned and created another anonymous account?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #537 on: March 08, 2020, 04:57:40 am »
I totally get that but I don't think I was wasn't even talking about those things.  I was stating my opinion on the quality of china designed produts vs elsewhere designed products manufactured in china and the like.  Or something like that.  I can't remember.  Maybe it was off topic, and if that's the case I was certainly in the wrong but if I get on a tangent I'm usually pretty good about stopping that if someone points it out nicely.  Oh well.  I'll just keep trying to stay out of trouble, I like helping people understand things, especially newcomers to the industry  ;D
You are in the wrong generation !

In mine when we were young the Japs were the focus of the xenophobic jibes but would you direct jibes at them now.
Whatever gives you the right to determine if the way another country is run, nothing as you're nobody but a lone voice. No one's country is free from injustices to their people past and present.

Best you bugger off and find a forum where others think like you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2020, 04:57:55 am »
That reminds me, tonight is bin night. Thanks Dave.

:-+

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, beanflying

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #539 on: March 08, 2020, 05:04:06 am »

It might be bin month, I'm losing track at how many accounts some angry bird can create.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #540 on: March 08, 2020, 05:05:55 am »

It might be bin month, I'm losing track at how many accounts some angry bird can create.
There might already be another.  ::)
Check latest members.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #541 on: March 08, 2020, 05:08:25 am »
*shakes head, walks off*
Far I hope !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #542 on: March 08, 2020, 05:21:22 am »
Do us a favour LimpLama go play somewhere else. You are not funny you are not amusing and creating new accounts when the old one is banned AGAIN is just creating work for Dave who has more than enough to attend to.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #543 on: March 08, 2020, 05:26:07 am »

Looking at rate and timing those accounts were created, no matter at which timezone, he simply lost his sleep over this.  :-DD

I guess he is so agitated and dying for attention & recognition here in this foum, poor chap, must be really lonely life there.

Offline LivelyLlama

• !
« Reply #544 on: March 08, 2020, 05:29:39 am »

Looking at rate and timing those accounts were created, no matter at which timezone, he simply lost his sleep over this.  :-DD

I guess he is so agitated and dying for attention & recognition here in this foum, poor chap, must be really lonely life there.

How long does it take to create an account?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #545 on: March 08, 2020, 05:30:59 am »
Clearly your thick head doesn't understand the term Banned so instead you continue plead innocence until you very much are not.

Yes several of the members are likely sick of you being an annoying little Tit

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #546 on: March 08, 2020, 05:35:37 am »
Quit the Transference and blaming others YOU WERE BANNED for your behavior, are not the innocent and an attention seeking Crap producing Tit.

Offline LivelyLlama

• !
« Reply #547 on: March 08, 2020, 05:38:47 am »
Yes I remember grade school there was lots of name calling, when are you graduating?

:P :P :P

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #548 on: March 08, 2020, 05:44:10 am »
How long does it take to create an account?

More time than it takes to ban one, I can assure you.
Everyone, we have a real persistent nut job here, it's like a half dozen new accounts now in a day.
Please report all new accounts that have the modus operandi of "angrybird"

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #549 on: March 08, 2020, 05:45:35 am »
Creating a new account and laying low is one thing, but creating a series of accounts and going out of your way to get every single one banned is another. Take a hint or at least calm yourself down.  ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf