Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 503184 times)

Offline DigitalDinosaur

• !
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #550 on: March 08, 2020, 05:46:43 am »
How long does it take to create an account?

More time than it takes to ban one, I can assure you.
Everyone, we have a real persistent nut job here, it's like a half dozen new accounts now in a day.
Please report all new accounts that have the modus operandi of "angrybird"

Incorrect

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #551 on: March 08, 2020, 05:50:38 am »
Maybe flat out removing posts is a better idea as it eliminates the podium.

The following users thanked this post: Weston

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #552 on: March 08, 2020, 06:13:22 am »

Everyone, we have a real persistent nut job here, it's like a half dozen new accounts now in a day.
Please report all new accounts that have the modus operandi of "angrybird"

angrybird clearly shows the intention from the beginning by creating multiple accounts before this bans begin. I suspect now he has hundreds of fake accounts with him, which is even more pathetic. 

Its like a spoiled, whiney kid that keep coming trying so hard to join the boys club, even have been harassed .. bullied.. punished again and again.  :-DD

We've seen this type (even 10x worst) too many already for decade maybe ?

He will be back for sure until he is bored and leave, or as usual that happened in the past, the magic power of this forum will eventually tame him  >:D, and will survive once he behaved in this forum like many "others" in the past.

Angrybird, if you're reading this, and believing that you're special, nope, we've been have fun & playing with your type for decade.  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #553 on: March 08, 2020, 06:17:12 am »
Maybe flat out removing posts is a better idea as it eliminates the podium.
Maybe, so should we take it here were it's somewhat private from newbies ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/supporters-lounge/moderation-reports-84488/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #554 on: March 08, 2020, 07:06:52 am »

You got a tough job.  These people are trying to create a movement all over the place that they can find.  A giveaway is their funny logic that is not consistent and somewhat cleverly twisted. 
Keeping politics and religion out, and including one's own political and social systems out is the way, that include your believe and trust in the superiority of your own system.  Even if it is out of good intention.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2020, 08:51:40 am »
Would it be an idea to use two-factor authentication (for registering only) that uses an sms verification?

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2020, 09:25:09 am »
That's not an easy one to setup.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #557 on: March 08, 2020, 09:27:33 am »
Would it be an idea to use two-factor authentication (for registering only) that uses an sms verification?

That is a good idea.
But, I believe there are fairly easy ways of getting round SMS verification. If trolling users want to.
I.e. If they can work out how to get around IP bans, they can probably figure out how to get round SMS verification, as well.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #558 on: March 08, 2020, 09:47:41 am »
Not sure you can get around SMS verification. That's the point and why banks use it, unless your haking the phone network and using other peoples numbers your stumped. The IP thing is easy, unplug your modem and plug it back in. Unless your on a fixed IP you will get another one. I had to do this when i was with the phone coop as one of the IP's in their pool was banned for email spamming. Once you have got all the IP's in your local pool blocked you move onto proxy's.

This is why those customer surveys at the end of the call when you phone a phone provider are a really bad idea and our screw you economy is creating security risks. Call handlers are rated and paid or even fired based on the survey results. So if you call up and don't have the right details you get nasty. The call handler fearing a bad review and loss of vital earnings lets you into the account whereupon you transfer the number to a new provider and address. SIM card turns up, you activate it and are now in control of your victims 2FA and empty their bank account. It's been done - in the UK. But that's the only way around it, to gain physical access to the number. But you need to have a service that sends SMS's worldwide. No sure that will be cheap.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #559 on: March 08, 2020, 10:08:22 am »
There is some more security measures that can be taken with the backend of SMF regarding new accounts but here maybe isn't the place to have this discussion.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: March 08, 2020, 10:14:02 am »
Not sure you can get around SMS verification.

If the forum, knows who the person really is. I.e. real life name and address, etc. Then you can confirm you have their correct phone number(s), and SMS verification, can be robust and secure. But that facility is available to organisations, rather than forums, so may not be a viable option, in practice.

But, if you don't know their real life details, then they can supply false phone numbers and hence get around the SMS verification. There are false numbers available, but which can still be used to confirm SMS verification.
I'm intentionally being vague as to how to get around it, to avoid revealing such details on the internet.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:16:09 am by MK14 »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #561 on: March 08, 2020, 10:15:30 am »
There is some more security measures that can be taken with the backend of SMF regarding new accounts but here maybe isn't the place to have this discussion.

Whatever method it is he either works a way around it or not, not much of a secret what it is once one is confronted with it on registration. the isi app 2FA, i don't know if that has to be personalized to the account or if you just register for the site in which case pointless in stopping people setting up multiple accounts. As the past has proven we have more tenacity than they do. A certain unmentionable member kept it up for a couple of years on Christmas day only to find me in wait to delete and ban. He has not bothered in years now.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #562 on: March 08, 2020, 10:18:06 am »

If the forum, knows who the person really is. I.e. real life name and address, etc. Then you can confirm you have their correct phone number(s), and SMS verification, can be robust and secure. But that facility is available to organisations, rather than forums, so may not be a viable option, in practice.

But, if you don't know their real life details, then they can supply false phone numbers and hence get around the SMS verification. There are false numbers available, but which can still be used to confirm SMS verification.
I'm intentionally being vague as to how to get around it, to avoid revealing such details on the internet.

It's effort and reward. Yes i was phoned by a scammer a few weeks ago pretending i had been caught in a road offence. I doubt the call was coming from the area the number indicated and they had a lot to gain from the scam.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: March 08, 2020, 10:20:01 am »
Like in all things a determined idiot will get by them but there is no need to telegraph those measures under consideration or taken in public.  :-//
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #564 on: March 08, 2020, 10:29:34 am »
Well there is one thing worth telegraphing to this tit, I spend my working day in the UK at a computer with an eye on my emails. I then go home and spend my evenings and weekend on a computer. When I sleep 3 other moderators take over in Australia. What ever this guy does it only takes one report and he is history. Banning a user takes as long as it takes to load a couple of pages from the internet and we are moderated 24/7!

As much as this is exiting for forum users it's small beans in terms of moderating issues.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #565 on: March 08, 2020, 10:49:18 am »
Hardly exiting Simon I have been around forums, chat groups of various sorts for a long time since AOL was the WWW option of choice. I still own a couple of formally large yahoo groups that went to forums some years ago and two forums I still moderate on. This Tit is small potatoes compared with some I have dealt with over the years just more persistent than most.

Security related matters are a totally different thing and doing that in public be it company, business or even 'just a forum' isn't the best place to do it ever.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Ian.M

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #566 on: March 10, 2020, 05:42:32 am »
From two days ago. Yep we clearly have no idea about you  ::)

The members list can show all new accounts in the order they were created. ilikeswedishfish is currently the latest.   ::)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #567 on: March 10, 2020, 06:28:46 am »
Hardly exiting Simon I have been around forums, chat groups of various sorts for a long time since AOL was the WWW option of choice. I still own a couple of formally large yahoo groups that went to forums some years ago and two forums I still moderate on. This Tit is small potatoes compared with some I have dealt with over the years just more persistent than most.

Security related matters are a totally different thing and doing that in public be it company, business or even 'just a forum' isn't the best place to do it ever.

You never figured out who I was, even after so many of my alts got banned over such a long period of time.  The incessantly nonsequitur arguments of you and other regulars combined with the general nastiness towards each other (and to many newcomers!) was why I stopped contributing in the first place.  Declare your enemy defeated and march away while they continue to post and converse right under your nose  ;) :P ;D

Why does this still entertain me...   :palm:
Small things amuse small minds...

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #568 on: March 10, 2020, 07:41:22 am »

You never figured out who I was, even after so many of my alts got banned over such a long period of time.  The incessantly nonsequitur arguments of you and other regulars combined with the general nastiness towards each other (and to many newcomers!) was why I stopped contributing in the first place.  Declare your enemy defeated and march away while they continue to post and converse right under your nose  ;) :P ;D

Yup. So nice of him to out himself.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #569 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:36 am »

Unfortunately, the thing he has yet to learn is that when you have people smarter than him constantly on his tail, it becomes extremely difficult to hide. The old "har har, I'm still here right under your nose" thing is complete bullshit, because if that were actually the case, he wouldn't need to go to so much time and effort to continuously create new accounts.

I'll at least give him credit where credit is due: He puts on a brave face every time, even though it's completely pissing him off and eating him up inside.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #570 on: March 10, 2020, 08:55:52 am »
What ?  :-//
Did you totally miss the conversations leading up to this ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/supporters-lounge/moderation-reports-84488/msg2956932/#msg2956932

Some of us had his number some days ago.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #571 on: March 10, 2020, 09:30:45 am »

It's effort and reward. Yes i was phoned by a scammer a few weeks ago pretending i had been caught in a road offence. I doubt the call was coming from the area the number indicated and they had a lot to gain from the scam.
SMS verification would also put off those who intend to remain anonymous for whatever reason and believe it or not, there are still some people who don't have a mobile phone. I recently went without one for a few months, because my old one broke and I didn't have the motivation to get a new one.

The sad thing is you do have the ability to be a valued contribute here, if you stop posting political and religious content. If someone makes a political statement or bashes a politician who you support, just press the report to moderator button, as they're breaking the rules. Whether or not they're inline with the views of the moderator/administrator, is immaterial: I've seen Simon delete political posts before, even though I'm pretty sure he agrees with them.

If you're hellbent on signing up for a new account again, wait for a week or so, learn from all of this and start a fresh, keeping your posts purely technical.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #572 on: March 10, 2020, 10:12:52 am »
What ?  :-//
Did you totally miss the conversations leading up to this ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/supporters-lounge/moderation-reports-84488/msg2956932/#msg2956932

Some of us had his number some days ago.

Yes i did. What makes moderation here work is the users. The forum sets it's own standards. Plus I feel much better banning someone that say's "har har here i am" than pure intuition alone. He obviously has alot of time to waste. In the past members that have been banned have rejoined but they have learnt their lesson and behaved and had the decency to not come the "har har i am still here". I don't mind that. We can all change. But people that want to continue to be disruptive will just continue to get banned.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Ian.M

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #573 on: March 10, 2020, 11:37:54 am »

The forum has a 2FA option, I use it myself, but it's not compulsory.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #574 on: March 10, 2020, 12:32:33 pm »
I have been watching this thread for a while now and have been saddened by the behaviour of this individual who likes to create lots of accounts, only to get them banned. I never normally engage in such threads but on this occasion I would like to. We all remember the awful MJC incident and I would not wish to see it repeated so........

To the person who has effectively ‘gone to war’ with the moderators.......

Please stop for a moment, take a deep breath and think about your actions. Are they truly rational and normal behaviour ? I am casting no stones but from what I have been seeing in this thread, I am concerned for you. This situation appears to have spiralled out of control for you, but it can be stopped so easily if you just stop taunting the Moderators. I am aware that you have strong views on the moderation and you have a right to your views, however, you can likely contribute to this forum in a positive way and be part of the online ‘family’ that is the EEVBlog forum. Arguments occur in families, feelings get hurt, but most recover to normality and life goes on. Please consider parking your current crusade against this forums moderation and enjoy being a member of the best forum that I have ever been a part of. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot continue to be an active healthy member of this forum if you can just hold back in engaging in some discussions that involve ‘sensitive’ topics. It is not censorship, just a means to avoid arguments with people you do not even know, or likely care about.

I was going to pull back from this forum due to both my ongoing illness and the death of my father on Boxing Day 2019. Life has been pretty cr*ppy of recent. I did not do so because another forum member reminded me that this forum is like an extended family with whom I may engage on topics that make me happy in dark times. I encourage you to think of this forum in the same way and enjoy it, rather than putting on your virtual armour and going to war over something that truthfully is beyond our ability to change.

Take care of yourself and please consider what I have said. Be a friendly helpful member of this ‘family’.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:42:35 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Dr. Frank, hendorog, Ysjoelfir, MK14, beanflying, Chris_Walch

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf