Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 501501 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
"Mojochan our resident feminist obsessed poster will drag it into the toilet."

The thread could have been closed without specific personal public comment.

But compared to how that guy is the champion in badgering and commenting on others, the comment on him was still really friendly.
No need for him to pull the hurt victim card.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2015, 03:20:32 pm »
But compared to how that guy is the champion in badgering and commenting on others, the comment on him was still really friendly.
No need for him to pull the hurt victim card.

I'm really surprised Dave has put up with him for so long.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2015, 12:15:48 am »
Moderation is not "black and white", and moderators cannot view every thread, it's primarily a report based system.
By not black and white, I mean that those who have a history of something on the forum will not be cut the same slack as everyone else, as it is often clear they will never let up on topic and will ultimately drag it down into the toilet. This is the case here, Mojochan has a history in feminism/sexism/gender threads and simply will not let up on the subject, so I shut it down. I do not want it going off-topic and polluting the Unread Posts list.
Same thing happens on other topics like conspiracy theories or religion for example.
I do not want to ban otherwise good and productive posters because they have a pet off-topic subject they won't let up on occasionally, that can be delt with in other ways.

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2015, 01:26:47 am »
Moderation is not "black and white", and moderators cannot view every thread, it's primarily a report based system.

Otherwise you wouldn't have time to make videos

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03:53 am »
It's Dave's attitude that is the problem.

It's my "attitude" that allows this forum to operate as smoothly as it does. I think it's working pretty well.

Despite repeated attempts to reach out and normalize relations all I get is this. This is what I was afraid of:
Quote from: EEVblog
I mean that those who have a history of something on the forum will not be cut the same slack as everyone else

And what's the problem with that? It's a perfectly legitimate and sensible way to run a forum.
If someone who has no history of getting carried away on say politics or religion make a few posts on that topic, then moderators don't have to be too concerned that they will escalate the thread and there is a good chance the thread will just die out.
But if someone with a known history of banging on and on and on about a particular topic jumped into a thread about that and starts, there is a very high chance the thread will get out of control. Hence they might very well be told to stay out of the thread, or the thread might get locked, or at worst, put on temporary ban (rare).

It's become such a problem that Dave even banned criticism of himself for use of certain problematic language

Rubbish, cite proof.

Apparently there is nothing I can do or say to change this.

No, because your actions have spoken well enough for you in the past.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:26:31 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2015, 10:56:00 am »
It's become such a problem that Dave even banned criticism of himself for use of certain problematic language

Rubbish, cite proof.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-767-super-regenerative-receiver-problems/msg711333/#msg711333

You later clarified that "PLONKED" meant banned.

Wow, you are complaining about that? Really?
I said:
Well here's a little heads up, people who continually harp on about the same thing about my videos over and over tend to get themselves PLONKED.

You seriously expect me to take criticism about the same thing over and over and over again from the same person?
Really?
Why should I?
If you have criticism, say it, I encourage it. I have never, and will never censor one-off criticism. Cite one example were I have done this.
But you can bet your arse if you just pester me with the same crap over and over, I'll ban your arse. That's when criticism becomes harassment and I will not tolerate it.

Honestly, don't you think that is a bit unreasonable?

Nope.
I've been dealing with people on forums for 25+ years, and there is one thing I have learned, people don't change.
In your case your reputation of jumping on anything feminism, sexism etc related is very well earned, through your own hand and also reports about you, it's not a figment of my imagination or any persona vendetta.

I'm trying to improve the situation, but you are saying there is literally nothing I can say or do. If you want me to leave then just ask, because that's the impression I get.

If I wanted you gone, you'd be gone.
You once asked me to remove all your posts on the forum because you had had enough, I could simply have done that and you were gone, by your own request. But I didn't do it, I was polite, I explained things, and gave you a chance to reconsider. You're welcome.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2015, 01:59:01 pm »
Someone else brought it up, I responded. It wasn't even really about feminism, it was about how poor the quality of the argument in the video was. Feminism seems to be a trigger word for Dave.

Mojo Chan, here is an explanation that you can understand. Your posts here create a lot of externalized distraction and waste of time and offend some people so Dave's is looking out for the interests of the community and is regulating the posts for the common good. 

You see, it all makes sense now!

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2015, 02:29:44 pm »
Oh my god. Please, just ban mojo-chan already. If he's not talking about his SUPER KAWAII JAPANESE GIRLFRIEND FROM JAPAN he's playing up the feminist/genderist/environmentalists/whateverist card to the extreme. He has zero common sense, a complete lack of introspection and absolutely no shame.

To top all this off, I have never seen a single electronics post that he has contributed to in any significant manner. In fact, I could write a forum "chatbot" plugin that grepped certain keywords and then posted random feminist Tumblr entries as replies to replace him with and I bet nobody would notice the difference.

I don't know if you have ass-burgers or what mojo, but you seriously need to slow your roll and take stock. If you're anything like you are on this forum IRL, then you must be "that guy" and I feel sorry for you.

That's just my twenty eight cents.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2015, 11:53:00 pm »
You seriously expect me to take criticism about the same thing over and over and over again from the same person?
If by "over and over again" you mean ONCE for that particular video, then yes. If you mean "I keep doing it, and people keep pointing it out each time" then still yes.

So you admit to harassing me over and over with complaint?

Just so we are all on the same page, here is the entirety of what I said about that video in my comment (no previous posts by me in that thread):

No one cares, I don't care, just let it go, ok?

Nope. I have the emails and PMs to prove it. If that's the way you remember it then it just re-enforced my earlier point.

I don't have the remember it. Direct quote from you in your first email to me (Gmail never forgets), with the subject title "Removal of my data":
Can you please remove all my posts, but keep my account open? I'd like to use it to keep track of what threads I have read. If you can for some reason then please just remove the ban and I'll delete them myself. Thanks.

Please let me know if that request still stands, I'm happy to oblige.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:00:05 am by EEVblog »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2015, 12:04:38 am »
It's clear there is no reasoning with you. I'll consider what to do.

May I politely recommend that you consider fucking off?

Edit in the cold light of day: Sorry, that might have sounded a bit nasty, but I was attempting to be humorous whilst pointing out that you are entitled to leave if you so wish.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:27:57 am by EEVblog »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
... I'll consider what to do.

Oh no, please don't shut down your account and restart as a new user.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:27:42 am by EEVblog »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2015, 08:00:12 am »
Why do you think Dave's favourite phrase annoys me so much? Could it be because we have both been on the wrong end of it before?

Dave seems to have a lot of favourite phrases, which one annoys you and why?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:27:25 am by EEVblog »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2015, 08:21:11 am »
I will hazard a guess at the annoying phrase being "One Hung Low". Can be very insulting if you are going to take affront to a saying not directed at you specifically.

Then again, i have been called many things. There are a few trigger words, but I cannot use them on this forum, because I would be banned, and if you use them to my face you might get your teeth handed to you on a plate. But I learned from the military a whole lot of words that are insulting, so most times it rolls off like water off a duck's back. Some of those words have been used on this forum, but as they were not directed at me in particular I just ignore them.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2015, 11:04:28 am »
However on this forum it seems to have morphed into a not even veiled insult to the Chinese and all things Chinese made. I think its use-by date has passed. Whether or not it is a racial slur depends more on how it is received than spoken.

Agreed.

Think about what the effect of using it is for a moment. It re-enforces the stereotype that all Chinese goods are shoddy, and that Chinese people do shoddy work or have no interest in quality. It's basically the same stuff that was said about the Japanese once, and black people before that, and Spanish/Italian people in Europe etc. The result is that Chinese people have to deal with this automatic assumption, which disadvantages them.

A lot of people can't seem to understand this. They are generally the ones with a lot of privilege. Being white in a country like Australia is not going to hinder you much, but being Chinese might. Take Dave's recent Mailbag #787. He reviews the Zhiyun Z1-Evolution, and say "yes it's made in China, but..." As in, "yes it starts from a disadvantaged position (being made in China), but despite that it's good anyway".

The term for this kind of thing is "microaggression". Sadly Dave does it a lot, less in his videos but more so on his Twitter feed which I guess is a bit more "raw". On this forum though, there are many who are much, much more overt and well into bigotry.

One of the "rites of passage" of countries developing their industrial capacity is the manufacture of low cost & often low quality products.
At the time that Japanese products were regarded as poor quality,that was largely true of the cheap stuff ,but as everyone saw a bit too late,it was patently not the case with their WW2 military equipment.

After the War,they had to start again from scratch,going through the same stages,with the additional burden of being  the "former enemy".
As the higher value items became the common products from Japan,the quality improved,as there was more money available for quality control.etc.

China had to come out of a fairly rigid Communist state,where consumer items were of low priority,with all the best Engineering going into "Nation-building" projects & the Military.
That country has had to go,(& is still largely,going) through the same steps.

Other countries have had a reputation for junk-------just after WW2,some incredibly regrettable products came out of Germany.

Some UK products have  had poor reputations ,see:- "Joseph Lucas--Prince of Darkness",the term "Brummy" for cheap costume jewellery out of Birmingham,etc.
Of course,it was all "British & Best" to the Brits--but often "Pommy crap" to Aussies stuck on outback roads!

I'm presently battling with a USA made MFJ Antenna tuning unit which has a fairly complex rotary inductor.
The common name among Hams for MFJ stuff is "Mighty Fine Junk!"---a bit unfair,but "give dog a bad name".

By the way,being Australian,of whatever ethnicity,in Australia is no "bowl of cherries" as the popular image of Australian workers among some parts of the Employer community,is that they are all "Bludgers"(Oz slang for Loafers).

Chinese people are regarded as "clever, well educated & hard working"---somehow,as soon as they get an Oz Passport,they undergo a frightening metamorphosis,& become "Bludgers"!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:43:53 am by vk6zgo »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2015, 11:23:07 am »
The term for this kind of thing is "microaggression".
And the whole-covering term is cultural marxism.
Used very often by racists these days against white hetero man.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2015, 12:03:03 pm »
Mojo, the reason Chinese goods are regarded as junk is, for the most part, they are built to a price and of low quality. That's not to say they can't produce good quality items; they often do. They just have a bad reputation of making low quality copies, outright IP theft, cutting corners, poor workmanship and low quality. Is this reputation deserved? Right now: Yes.

In time, I'm sure they'll produce high quality goods on a whole; just like Japan.

It's not racism to say Chinese goods are crap; it's true of a lot (but not all) the stuff produced there.

They certainly don't need you white knighting them.

As for your SUPER NI HAIO GIRLFRIEND, unless she runs a factory that produces such goods, the sentiment in no way applies to her.

You should spend more time worried about yourself and less time dying for everyone else's sins. You're like an Aspie Jesus or something.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2015, 12:11:24 pm »
Guys, this thread is for moderation report talk only, not general arguments.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2015, 03:46:36 pm »

Okay, no problem.

But I would like to say to everyone: don't take expressions that convey a sentiment too seriously. They're often only meant to be taken comically.
E.g.: there are a lot of expressions in the English language with the word "Dutch" in it that are not particularly positive, but they are only expressions...

"Sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will never harm me."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:24:35 pm by jitter »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2015, 06:44:42 pm »

We need a section dedicated for Mojochanism.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:50:54 pm by zapta »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2015, 01:20:58 pm »
I'm getting abusive emails and harassment on social media, apparently from an EEVBlog user. Can the moderators please check if anyone is using IP address 73.48.3.147 and take action.

Mods here have no jurisdiction over your email or social media.  If it doesn't happen here they can't do shit about it.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »
Get a fucking grip Mojo, seriously mate.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2015, 02:39:47 pm »
To be clear, I'm saying that if they can identify that user from their IP address they should take action. I've already contacted the social media sites and their ISP.

Please also delete the "won hung low" thread. Like similar threads on 4chan, it's just encouraging harassment and this person cites it.

Long long ago I warned you to keep out of that thread and you did not. Now what do you want me to do ? What you do and say is your choice. You should not be getting harassment on other sites and that is not appropriate behaviour but we can only lay it on their conscience and sense of morality if they have any.

The damage is already done, I can't do anything about matters outside of this forum and IP addresses change often and can be masked. How have people been able to follow you from here onto social meadia ? I don't want to be funny but you have attracted "attention" for a long time. If you are going to do that at least try and insulate yourself on here so that you cannot be followed elsewhere if that is going to be a problem.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2015, 03:07:43 pm »
EEVBlog's policy on harassment is now officially worse than 4chan.  :palm:

That site at least bans users who use their site as a staging ground for harassment elsewhere.

Excuse me ? since when do we have power over other sites and internet providers ? You really do need to grow up. Again i ask, how did anyone find you elsewhere ? you have been "controversial" for a long time you much have known there was a risk. Tou will have to take matters up with the administrators of whatever website you are having a problem on, not coming back over here and having a sulk.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2015, 05:50:27 pm »
... Tou will have to take matters up with the administrators of whatever website you are having a problem on, not coming back over here and having a sulk.
My guess is the guy already made some new enemies there, and they already kicked him out.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2015, 07:56:51 pm »
EEVBlog's policy on harassment is now officially worse than 4chan.  :palm:

That site at least bans users who use their site as a staging ground for harassment elsewhere.

Please go away. You are harassing this community.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf