Author Topic: Let's talk about really long HDMI cables. Like one hundred feet long.  (Read 1696 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Is a 100 foot long HDMI cable a routine thing these days that is solid and reliable and not a glitch-and-sparkle-prone headache?

Where does the 'ragged edge' exist regarding HDMI cable length?  What is considered the maximum length for a solid, trouble-free link?

And I presume Redmere is always a part of this conversation.... am I right about that?

Thanks.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Let's talk about really long HDMI cables. Like one hundred feet long.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:29:56 pm »
There exist active cables that regenerate the signal along the way, as well as fairly cheap active joiners that do the same. Also worth considering are converters that send HDMI over fiber, although those are not cheap.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:16:35 pm »
10 meters max on good quality cables.
Your only alternative at that distance is glass-fiber.
Or if lower resolution, frame-rate, color-depth and higher latency are not a problem then HDbaseT could be a option but
100 meters on a single stretch is still pushing it.

Edit: 100 feet is 30 meters  :palm: ,  a network solution should be feasible, or DG-kat from Kramer:

https://www.kramerav.com/products/range_extenders_repeaters/dgkat-copper-extenders
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:23:15 pm by The Soulman »

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 10:17:44 pm »
There exist active cables that regenerate the signal along the way, as well as fairly cheap active joiners that do the same. Also worth considering are converters that send HDMI over fiber, although those are not cheap.
HDMI to CAT5 network converters, Example:
https://www.amazon.ca/SDS-Extender-Ethernet-Supports-Bandwidth/dp/B0105VYDVK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524348976&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+cat5&psc=1
10gb, uncompressed.

4K uncompressed 4:2:0 8 bit color, 70m:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5BWOAZ/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_p=3534660202&pd_rd_wg=IFEzz&pf_rd_r=ACJN3WK1FNY2TXSZ4NB7&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01N5BWOAZ&pd_rd_w=zHpF1&pf_rd_i=hdmi+to+cat6&pd_rd_r=43da8e1a-4c2d-42e2-8bfd-b04608b5da38&ie=UTF8&qid=1524349184&sr=2

True 4:4:4 4K, deep color, 70m: (Requires cat 5e, 6e, or cat 7 network cable, cat 5 wont work)
https://www.amazon.ca/AV-Access-Extender-HDBaseT-4K60Hz/dp/B073QL6YT3/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524349387&sr=1-1&keywords=4KEX70-H2%E3%80%90ASIN%3AB073QL6YT3%5D

Notice how the price keeps on going up with picture quality, or, bitrate....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:22:00 pm by BrianHG »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 10:53:15 pm »
Where does the 'ragged edge' exist regarding HDMI cable length?  What is considered the maximum length for a solid, trouble-free link?

The short answer is "it depends".

I've used cheaper 10 metre HDMI cables before that can't support anything higher than a 720P signal. Any more and the image glitches and drops out continuously.

But an expensive cable isn't an indication of quality either. If you're shelling out hundreds of dollars on a cable, you're being ripped off.

My suggestion is, buy a modestly priced cable of the length required but make sure that the packaging specifically states which resolutions it will support, that way, if the claims are bullshit, you can return it to the store for a refund because the product doesn't perform as advertised. Most TVs also have a menu option to display the "quality" of the HDMI signal, such as BER (bit error rate) etc...

As other's have pointed out, there are several ways to extend a HDMI signal beyond the limits of a passive cable. My preferred option would be HDMI <-> HD-SDI/Fibre or failing that HDMI <-> Cat 6.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 11:19:29 pm »
would be HDMI <-> HD-SDI/Fibre
No HDCP2.2 or HDCP2.0 (F--k you HDCP) or Dolby Atmos, or TrueHD, or CEC bus support.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 11:56:13 pm »
No HDCP2.2 or HDCP2.0 (F--k you HDCP) or Dolby Atmos, or TrueHD, or CEC bus support.

True. Which is why I rip everything and read the files off the network from my NAS. But if it just about getting picture/audio without all the garbage from point A to B, then that would be the way I'd go personally.

Nothing with DRM makes it into my house. It either gets stripped or I find another way.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, BrianHG

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 11:57:56 pm »
I've seen HDMI to ethernet and back again used in professional settings to solve this problem. That seems to work well enough, though distance is obviously not unlimited.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 12:45:13 am »

True. Which is why I rip everything and read the files off the network from my NAS. But if it just about getting picture/audio without all the garbage from point A to B, then that would be the way I'd go personally.

Nothing with DRM makes it into my house. It either gets stripped or I find another way.
+1

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 12:57:13 am »
I've seen HDMI to ethernet and back again used in professional settings to solve this problem. That seems to work well enough, though distance is obviously not unlimited.
What's the latency like on the more expensive units? I know the cheap ones are not usable for gaming. At work, they use what is basically a customized version of Chromecast and the latency is even worse, but good enough for presentations.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 01:15:19 am »
Used fiber for dual 75 foot runs at my place of worship. Never have had a problem in three years now. Total cost was 675$ counting splitters. 

Fast enough that we cannot see any latency issues. Runs right off the port, no external power needed.

Expensive, but was actually the cheapest option at the time.

Only issue to studiously avoid is how a Windows PC source reacts to the returned video  device ID in a dual monitor setup if you have a LCD screen  locally for control.  This happens with both fiber and extender cables.

Black box and others make small boxes to deal with that.  Basically you can send whatever ID and resolution back to the video card if you use the box.

Steve
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:20:18 am by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf