Author Topic: has ever GFCI/RCCB saved your life ?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline hussamaldeanTopic starter

• Supporter
has ever GFCI/RCCB saved your life ?
« on: September 18, 2019, 07:32:55 pm »
Hi all,
did the GFCI/RCCB ever saved your life ?
I start. I was working on some project and I was using this type of PSU

which  can provide 32A@12V. one of the wire got inside and it hurt me to the moon and beyond for fraction of a seconds and kaboom RCCD has popped and saved my life
but I loved the feeling of  the 220V on my body though since I experienced worse with 30KV of taser device and it was awesome
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: has ever GFCI/RCCB saved your life ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:36:47 pm »
I'm still here, so I'm guessing yes?

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:54:26 pm »
I’ve had a few GFCI trips over the years, but hard to argue they saved my life. I’ve also taken a few handfuls of 120VAC hits and one memorable 240VAC hit with very sweaty hands. That one stung! Obviously, none were fatal. ;)

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:05:57 pm »
No, I don't think so. I've the odd, mostly one handed, glancing live-neutral hits but I'm usually far too insulated from ground to get anywhere near 30mA imbalance and trip anything.

I've also accidentally cut through the mains lead on my hedge trimmer a few times but, being double insulated, that's never tripped anything - the cut has always been too fast to blow the fuse or trip the breaker either.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:08:18 pm »
It didnt save me, but it did trip once when I spilled coffee all over the bench and that 300W power supply, that was casually powered and lying on the bench.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 09:49:24 pm »
I’ve had a few GFCI trips over the years, but hard to argue they saved my life. I’ve also taken a few handfuls of 120VAC hits and one memorable 240VAC hit with very sweaty hands. That one stung! Obviously, none were fatal. ;)

Likewise although most of mine have been 240VAC. However, I do feel GFCI's/RCD's are generally a good thing.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:50:08 pm »
but I loved the feeling of  the 220V on my body though since I experienced worse with 30KV of taser device and it was awesome

Also, Tasers don't operate at 30KV (unless it's some crappy knock-off device from the internet). Their open circuit voltage may be up there in the tens of kilovolts range but as soon as the probes make contact with a fleshy target, the voltage drops significantly. Having being trained in the use of both the Taser (now Axon) X26 and X26P, the voltage under load is around 1200 volts and the current is limited to 2 mA. This is more than enough to induce neuromuscular incapacitation and knock you off your feet.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 11:12:03 pm »
Survivor bias at work... those that weren't saved can't report on it :D

But no, had no GFCI trip so far, apart from intentionally activating it at a friends house.
Support your local planet.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 11:51:29 pm »
I've gotten quite a few shocks in my life, but never to the point of GFCI/RCCB tripping off actually. I guess I have good reflexes (and never had that happen with wet bare feet or such) so that was never enough.

Still, never felt really nice. Like my whole body was vibrating. And usually my heart would be beating pretty fast every time. But I never got "stuck".

I won't comment on the " I experienced worse with 30KV of taser device and it was awesome ", as I think this is an EE forum, not a S&M one. ::)

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 02:27:57 am »
I managed to trip one with a right hand to belly shock (I was up a metal ladder with the end resting on some structural steel at the time), tripped the RCD AND came off the ladder.
Bloody hurt it did, nothing to recommend about the experience.

That 100ms@100mA seems like FOREVER (Yep, it was a time delay unit).

Regards, Dan.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 02:48:24 am »
I haven't been zapped after moving to the US. Back in my home town no GFCI/RCCBs existed and, having 220VAC, it was definitely not fun to get one.

I like to think that these shocks did not have any lasting mental or physical effecs (although my brother and my friends beg to differ on the mental effects :P )
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline hussamaldeanTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 07:00:36 am »
it seems everybody is happy with his shocking experience while working
for me it is a great experience and I like to not repeat it once more but I tried 100V DC and it was good but not like 60V AC  ::) ::)

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 11:53:44 am »
I managed to trip one with a right hand to belly shock (I was up a metal ladder with the end resting on some structural steel at the time), tripped the RCD AND came off the ladder.
Bloody hurt it did, nothing to recommend about the experience.

That 100ms@100mA seems like FOREVER (Yep, it was a time delay unit).

Regards, Dan.

Yep, that would be about ideal conditions for a trip  ;)   Glad you survived the fall!
Best Regards, Chris

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 12:05:24 pm »

Same here, more 120 VAC hits over the years that I can count.  Doesn't even bother me any more.  I had a 240 VAC hit that just about knocked me on my ass.  I was out of sorts a couple of hours before I felt OK.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 03:19:42 pm »
the voltage under load is around 1200 volts and the current is limited to 2 mA. This is more than enough to induce neuromuscular incapacitation and knock you off your feet.

That doesn't make sense. The impedance of the human body is far less than 600k. If it's limited to 2mA, you'll see voltages less than 50V
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 07:04:28 pm »
For a taser you can´t really tell where both electrodes will hit... the distance might vary a lot, also it could hit clothing. The body resistance is also voltage dependent.
Support your local planet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf