Author Topic: Mouser has their own search addon now!  (Read 3690 times)

Offline DJPhilTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Mouser has their own search addon now!
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:18:49 pm »
Just got a email from Mouser, they've added a Firefox addon (and whatever passes for one in IE) with some neat stuff on it. Seems awesome so far, very useful for me as I spend a lot of time on datasheet search websites and I can just highlight and right click different versions of things to see what the rough prices are.

Just in case someone finds it useful. :)

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
Re: Mouser has their own search addon now!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:23:57 pm »
Usable for a first release, although I would like to see more customisations. Like what data to show and how many items.

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:37:19 pm »
Thanks Phil, I will test it.

Offline DJPhilTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 05:19:27 am »
Usable for a first release, although I would like to see more customisations. Like what data to show and how many items.

I agree. Highlighting the MC34063 gives me $60 power management modules. I think I'll go bug them with feedback, I'd love to see this turn into a real useful tool. Maybe they'll open it up for tinkering, hold a contest, and give the winner a free hat!

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:01:50 am »
Bit of a gimmick as far as I'm concerned for a single-supplier tool- if everyone jumped this way you'd end up with a ton of different search options in the right-click menu which wouldn't save much time
Now  if someone could persuade findchips' new owners to implement something like this to search multiple suppliers it would be a lot more useful.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 01:43:36 pm »
yes I agree someone like findchips should make the plugin. as it is I'm getting fed up with the endless amounts of plugins and toolbars made available as i wonder why the once stable firefox can now crash windows 7 !

Offline andybrown

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »
Hey Guys,

We're soliciting feedback regarding the usability of this class of tool (i.e. browser toolbars,  plugins). As engineers how often would this type of tool really be used?

We're also open to any type of feedback regarding FindChips.com

Cheers,
-Andy
FindChips.com

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 06:32:50 pm »
I do not install browser toolbars or similar junk. They slow down the browser and a good bunch of them come with nasty surprises like addware or spyware.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:58:46 pm »
Rather than post again in this thread, I just wanted to say that in the thread titled "findchips.com" in the General Chat forum, I've posted a link to the Mycroft Project that does have Firefox and other browser plugins that include findchips.com and octoparts.com so you can search directly from your search window in FF. There is no need to install any toolbars. It will have no effect on the performance of your computer/browser but you do have to use the pulldown to change your search engine... I happen to have about 26 search engine plugins, including findchips and octoparts and find it much faster to just put the chip number in the window, select the engine and then if I don't find it, I just switch to another engine and click to search again and in my case, as I use tabs a lot, I middle click the search so that the results open in a new tab, not displacing what I was already looking at.

Regards

Christian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf