Author Topic: Movies with electronics related storyline  (Read 13109 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Movies with electronics related storyline
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2021, 03:15:51 am »
iratus parum formica

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 03:59:21 am »
There's an 80's/90's movie, about little dinner plate sized intelligent Robot/Alien things, that are trying to get home, or are hiding on Earth or whatever, in some apartment building they must save. I don't remember it much, but I'm pretty sure it was well done with special effects that hold up today.

Some other 80's movie, about some kid's that see a schematic in their dreams and they build a Spaceship out of a theme park ride vehicle, and go ...somewhere. It's all hooked up to their computer, I can't remember them making electronics, but they must.

i can't remember their names.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:04:13 am by MathWizard »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2021, 04:56:37 am »
Movies about electronics and computing are just the larger than life full size versions of the ridiculous ad industry clip-art image fails we often see. It shows how little ordinary people often know about technology. We've failed in explaining tech areas to the public at large, or at least, the screenwriters.

In a sci-fi show I watch with alien tech, a corpse got "electrostatically charged" and dust was floating around it. The dude sticks his phone out and it hovers mid-air and charges! :palm: |O

Your post reminded me of something... Just checked out a sci-fi series a few days ago, Debris : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11640020/

Supposedly some kind of huge alien spaceship started to break apart above Earth and pieces of it fell down all around the world and some had special properties like gravity modification, teleporting people a few meters, hallucinations ... and that's just the pilot episode.

That's the one yes, episode 6 I believe. Their scanners for alien radiation can apparently "scan for life signs" like a tricorder too. ::)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2021, 05:20:44 am »
There's an 80's/90's movie, about little dinner plate sized intelligent Robot/Alien things, that are trying to get home, or are hiding on Earth or whatever, in some apartment building they must save. I don't remember it much, but I'm pretty sure it was well done with special effects that hold up today.

Some other 80's movie, about some kid's that see a schematic in their dreams and they build a Spaceship out of a theme park ride vehicle, and go ...somewhere. It's all hooked up to their computer, I can't remember them making electronics, but they must.

i can't remember their names.

The first one is Batteries Not Included, with the sentient robotic spaceships that could molecularly repair anything and even reproduce. From the brief clip of when the old man looks at one with a magnifier, you can see a bunch of moving parts giving the impression they are made of a bunch of interconnected micromachines and they run on electricity, as a major plot point is them needing to recharge. There is also the scene where the guy tries to fix the broken baby robot with parts from an old tube TV and whatnot but he cant get the thing to take a charge enough to start the system (hence the title), until he knocks it into a sink where a toaster falls in and zaps it enough to bring it to life.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Moshly

• Regular Contributor
  • What's wrong with this thing
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2021, 08:47:31 am »
I always loved Tron but the seen with the logic probe always drove me nuts (It's cleanly a logic PULSER)

A couple more not mentioned yet

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:56:26 am by Moshly »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2021, 04:12:20 am »
I always loved Tron but the seen with the logic probe always drove me nuts (It's cleanly a logic PULSER)

An easter egg like I described occurs in TRON after Flynn crashes the recognizer.  He encounters some weird looking programs which Lori calls "data pushers".  They were suppose to be low level programs like device drivers which indeed can be very weird because they operate at a much lower level than application programs, but only a programmer who had dealt with them would recognize the reference.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2021, 04:26:38 am »
I'm surprised nobody posted The Conversation yet:

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2021, 08:48:17 am »
Also there was "The Conversation" with Gene Hackman

The Conversation was a good film about surveillance

I'm surprised nobody posted The Conversation yet

It is a good film, though the ending is weak. I saw it as a double feature with Klute (1971), which was fitting.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2021, 09:18:38 am »
The China Syndrome (1979)

When failsafe systems seriously fail. Anticipating Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078966/

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2021, 12:19:44 pm »
I MAY be off on a Tangent from this original Post/Topic... but I hate it when movies etc show particular 'props' in the background, that
'Those in the know' are aware of how fake it is!  :o   One such example, was a movie (something like 'A Space Odyssey 2001 ?), where
the walls inside the spaceships passages were lined with 'technical' looking pieces, but are actually multiple plates from an 'Alpha-Laval
Heat Ex-changer, as per the photo below...

And I also hate it when in some Crime Scene Investigation movies etc, when they are in some Computer Lab, looking at some 'evidence'
on a monitor, and the chief instructs the 'Tech' to "Zoom in on that numberplate" etc... And all you see is the guy madly typing on his
keyboard for five or so seconds!!!  WTF??  Instead of using a mouse or whatever, he must be 'typing' into some 'Terminal'...  "Select that
part of the screen from 2063-1072 pixels to 2157-1200 pixels, and zoom in on it 10x
" !!!   :palm:
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2021, 12:39:24 pm »
Here's an old one some people might remember.

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2021, 01:17:44 am »
that movie looks sick ;D

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2021, 06:01:11 am »
wow, this movie is great

next time I need to test something ima hook up a lead acid battery to some random connector looking things and put some juice in it

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2021, 06:01:54 am »
I have fond memories of this movie, definitely very electronics related.
but I suspect, if I ever re-watch as an adult, the memory will be ruined.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:04:37 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2021, 07:27:25 am »
that was a great movie

also the SFX , in one scene, is scarier then many more attempts at a particular life form
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:32:08 am by coppercone2 »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2021, 10:16:33 am »
The movie Chappie (2015) by Neil Blomkamp has a lot of electronics and software in it.  The scenes where you see a Linux-like shell are surprisingly accurate too.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2021, 05:27:39 pm »
Apollo 13

One of my all-time favorites. Before the big-screen, Hollywood version, there was an excellent Public TV (PBS here) documentary that I have not been able to find again.

They had a great series of scenes where, years later, they were interviewing the engineers and they asked them about wearing "pocket protectors "(older nerds know what those are - youngins might need to google the term). Each one was saying that they did not, personally, wear them, but many did. Then, for each one, they would show footage of them wearing a pocket protector :)
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2021, 06:22:09 pm »
More "robotics" than "electronics", but how about Real Steel?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:25:35 pm by mindcrime »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2021, 06:26:50 pm »
And I also hate it when in some Crime Scene Investigation movies etc, when they are in some Computer Lab, looking at some 'evidence' on a monitor, and the chief instructs the 'Tech' to "Zoom in on that numberplate" etc... And all you see is the guy madly typing on his keyboard for five or so seconds!!!  WTF??  Instead of using a mouse or whatever, he must be 'typing' into some 'Terminal'...  "Select that part of the screen from 2063-1072 pixels to 2157-1200 pixels, and zoom in on it 10x" !!!   :palm:

Because they were using Linux  :-DD
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: DrG

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2021, 06:45:03 pm »
And I also hate it when in some Crime Scene Investigation movies etc, when they are in some Computer Lab, looking at some 'evidence'
on a monitor, and the chief instructs the 'Tech' to "Zoom in on that numberplate" etc... And all you see is the guy madly typing on his
keyboard for five or so seconds!!!  WTF?? 

Or even worse, the number plate is completely blurry and unreadable in the original until the tech hits a few keys and then the image magically comes into clear focus and is perfectly readable.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2021, 04:40:13 am »

Or even worse, the number plate is completely blurry and unreadable in the original until the tech hits a few keys and then the image magically comes into clear focus and is perfectly readable.

It is possible for AI to read text that's hard for a human to read. As for faces or other images, sofware was already being developed in 2017.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4871415337/google-ai-adds-detail-to-low-resolution-images
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2021, 03:41:24 pm »

It is possible for AI to read text that's hard for a human to read. As for faces or other images, sofware was already being developed in 2017.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4871415337/google-ai-adds-detail-to-low-resolution-images

Yeah, but there was no AI "reading" the number plate text in these CSI shows--the number plates were perfectly readable by eye after "enhancing" the image. While some improvement may be possible in the future with better software, when these shows were made this was pure BS.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2021, 06:24:51 pm »
Here's an old one some people might remember.

Terrible trigger discipline.  Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're on target.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2021, 05:49:00 pm »
Real Genius (1985) has a few hacks, from using a slice of solid CO2 as a fake "quarter" to get coffee, to Lazlo hacking up a computer sweepstakes signing plotter to enter sweepstakes. But the ultimate hack was the reprogramming of the airborne laser target tracking computer to target [spoiler redacted] instead of the intended demonstration target. It involved pulling a ROM chip, programming a new ROM chip with target coordinates that were transferred by (radio or early cellphone) modem, burning the new ROM, and installing it in the control circuit.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf