Author Topic: Moving to New Zeland-How much a Electronics Designer earns?  (Read 11354 times)

Offline diegoterc3Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Moving to New Zeland-How much a Electronics Designer earns?
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:04:56 pm »
Hello. I am currently moving to New Zealand and want to know the average yearly income one can obtain with a Electronics Engineer Degree with 2-3 years of proffesional experience. I bassically do consumer electronics design. Please let me know.

Thank you

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: Moving to New Zeland-How much a Electronics Designer earns?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:39:43 am »
Baaaahhh
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 11:27:07 am »
Hello. I am currently moving to New Zealand and want to know the average yearly income one can obtain with a Electronics Engineer Degree with 2-3 years of proffesional experience. I bassically do consumer electronics design. Please let me know.

Thank you

Don't let Stonent pull the wool over your eyes... there is more to NZ than sheep. The Piggy Muldoon days are long gone. NZ's economy is doing really well.

There are some decent electronics companies in NZ, like Fisher and Paykel Health. I believe the NZ salary is slightly lower than the Aussie salary but the cost of housing in Australia is extreme, so maybe it balances out. From my experience, NZ engineers are a great bunch and those educated there are well respected, but they are a little odd :).

http://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs/engineering/electronics-engineer/job-opportunities

Do you you want to live in NZ permanently, or are you just moving there for a short time?

I knew an engineer from China who told me he did not qualify to emigrate to Australia so he went to NZ as a stepping stone to get him and his family into Australia eventually after 6 years. Within a week of getting NZ citizenship he was over here, never to return to NZ. His English was poor. But what he did was within the laws of both countries (as bad as the loophole is). Incidentally contrary to popular belief, English is not the official language of Australia. But New Zealand has three official languages, English being one of them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »
Incidentally contrary to popular belief, English is not the official language of Australia.

Not according to the 77% who only speak English (used to be 85%, it's dropped). Next highest is 1.6%.
And you do need a basic knowledge of English to pass the citizenship test (available only in English)
English is actually officially regarded as the "national language", so it's a moot point what is actually meant by "official language".

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor

Offline aveekbh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:01:29 pm »
Incidentally contrary to popular belief, English is not the official language of Australia. But New Zealand has three official languages, English being one of them.

Usually, if a country has one common language, there is no need for "official" status. When one or more smaller languages need recognition, they are all added as official languages. This is basically a guarantee by the constitution that a citizen can communicate with the government in that language.

I don't think anyone can beat India on the number of official languages.  :)
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Indian_Constitution_in_the_official_languages_of_India
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_with_official_status_in_India

Online free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:43:49 pm »
NZ engineers are a great bunch and those educated there are well respected, but they are a little odd :).

and you think it's NZ only ? they are odd EVERYWHERE.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 05:25:16 pm »
I bassically do consumer electronics design.

I tend to think there is limited demand, and more importantly, future for something like that. You just cannot compete with people in China.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 06:35:03 pm »
Very true. The company I work for is slowly moving to Ukraine and China for software, and will do it soon for hardware.

I'll probably leave the UK for work. Tax too high, salaries too low, homes too expensive.  This country is running itself into the ground and we're all cheering it along.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 05:33:23 am »
It will likely take more than 20 years to rebuild Christchurch.

Christchurch is a very small city by American standards. Likewise New Zealand is a small country by the same standard.
It has been more than 4 years since the first quake and there are still hundreds of buildings that are classified as condemned and have not yet been demolished.
The city has concentrated initially on demolishing the most dangerous buildings and rebuilding important infrastructure such as sewerage, potable water and roads.

We do not have the resources to throw hundreds of thousands of workers at the job.
We do not have the luxury of sitting in a project planning meeting and saying “Right boys, this needs to be done and dusted in 5 years…”

Therefore a reasonable length career in electrical, electronics, telecommunications, etc is entirely possible, and even most likely, in Christchurch alone…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Canterbury_earthquake
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:27:20 pm by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:15:05 pm »
Can you imagine if it took that long for Germany to rebuild itself after the war.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 10:15:12 pm »
Can you imagine if it took that long for Germany to rebuild itself after the war.
FWIW, the reconstruction lasted into the '80's, and was then reignited with the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunification. Source.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 10:17:38 pm »

Yes I can.
And as nanofrog says, it took a lot longer.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 02:39:35 am »
FWIW, the reconstruction lasted into the '80's, and was then reignited with the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunification. Source.
They are still rebuilding. I visited Berlin a couple of years ago and noticed there are many open areas in the city and they still didn't fill all the bullet holes in the few buildings which survived.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 06:33:30 am »
After the war many of the men used to work in the evenings re-building buildings for no pay at all.
I believe this went on for years. After having many of its cities flattened during the war Germany has re-built itself and is now the powerhouse of the European economy.
While the average grubby pom is in front of the TV watching Eastenders and living off state benefits the Germans are vigorously manufacturing cars, trucks, aircraft, home appliances etc.

Offline boz

• Regular Contributor
    • Roving Dynamics Ltd
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 12:00:09 pm »

Thank you
NZ has few large businesses for EE, mainly centred in Christchurch and Auckland. Either would be a good bet for finding work in that field, both cities and EE can earn NZ$70K+, Both cities however suffer a bit from accommodation problems and both are fairly costly to live in due to this. There are many more smaller businesses in NZ and a lot of self employed like me.

If you locate outside of these two areas you may be better looking at an IT or programming position at a non-EE company. Wages are pretty poor outside the main cities but accommodation is generally cheaper and you can get a few acres and a lord of the ring view out your front window to boot. Internet access is generally good even in very small towns, this is useful as a lot of EE work can be done remotely.

English is the only language you need and will ever use, but be aware you will get marked down if you have a strong accent or your English is unclear, I've seen it happen. I dont think its racism as such because the company where it happened employed a well spoken Chinese guy.

Bite the bullet and spend a few years in the city before going to somewhere scenic, this will allow you to get some contacts, earn some money and learn all the Kiwi Isms such as pretending to like Rugby  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:54:57 pm by boz »
Fearless diver and computer genius

Offline Offensive username removed

• !
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 07:20:12 pm »
You could move to Poland or Belarus instead. Accommodation is very inexpensive compared to the fucking western europe and food prices are okay too. You'll need to learn a bit of russian if you plan to move to eastern Poland, Belarus or Ukraine.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 05:20:28 am »

Thank you
NZ has few large businesses for EE, mainly centred in Christchurch and Auckland. Either would be a good bet for finding work in that field, both cities and EE can earn NZ$70K+, Both cities however suffer a bit from accommodation problems and both are fairly costly to live in due to this. There are many more smaller businesses in NZ and a lot of self employed like me.

If you locate outside of these two areas you may be better looking at an IT or programming position at a non-EE company. Wages are pretty poor outside the main cities but accommodation is generally cheaper and you can get a few acres and a lord of the ring view out your front window to boot. Internet access is generally good even in very small towns, this is useful as a lot of EE work can be done remotely.

English is the only language you need and will ever use, but be aware you will get marked down if you have a strong accent or your English is unclear, I've seen it happen. I dont think its racism as such because the company where it happened employed a well spoken Chinese guy.

Bite the bullet and spend a few years in the city before going to somewhere scenic, this will allow you to get some contacts, earn some money and learn all the Kiwi Isms such as pretending to like Rugby  :)

So from what I am reading. It is kind of a bad idea to move to NZ? I am actually a mechatronics engineer and do mechanical designing stuff as well. I have been researching and taxes is about 33%! Way too much and housing as everyone is saying is kind of costly. It depends wether you plan to be a millionare or have a common pleasant life.
I'll have to do a little more research but it looks like I will be going anyway.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:16 am »
I have been researching and taxes is about 33%! Way too much

It's only 33% for the money you earn over 70k
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 05:30:00 am »
Oh ok so it scalates from the previous percentage. Thanks. That gave me a little breath. I understand that health insurance is free? I could assume that tribute and health inssurance are merged into 1 tax?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 05:47:58 am »
yep,

10.5% up to 14k
17.5% from 14k to 48k
30% from 48k to 70k
33% from 70k up

So, for most people the majority of their income is in the 17.5% bracket.

The healthcare is good.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:49:55 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline boz

• Regular Contributor
    • Roving Dynamics Ltd
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 07:00:44 am »
So from what I am reading. It is kind of a bad idea to move to NZ? I am actually a mechatronics engineer and do mechanical designing stuff as well. I have been researching and taxes is about 33%! Way too much and housing as everyone is saying is kind of costly. It depends wether you plan to be a millionare or have a common pleasant life.
I'll have to do a little more research but it looks like I will be going anyway.
No, not a bad idea, there are many good points to moving to NZ above and beyond work, it's certainly at the top of the list of destinations in that respect, it's just NZ does not have a big job market for Consumer Electronics Engineers.
Fearless diver and computer genius

Offline N TYPE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 07:43:52 am »
Correct. NZ doesn't boast a very large consumer electronics job market,  however with your mechatronics background there should be plenty of work in industrial automation sector like food processing / packaging factories and manufacturing etc. don't expect rock star pay rates though, that's why a lot of kiwi professionals are moving to Australia for the better pay, the upside of that though is of course with a large portion of the local talent moving overseas, companies are looking for skilled people to fill those positions. Good Luck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf