Author Topic: Moving to Sydney soon! & asking for advice  (Read 20548 times)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Moving to Sydney soon! & asking for advice
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2017, 07:30:15 am »
The little card they give you on the plane is not for fun, it's a legal document.

Very true - and once you've handed it over, it's too late to change it - so be straight.

Imagine a TSA agent looking over your shoulder, waiting to pounce if you get it wrong.

If you genuinely forgot to declare something, don't wait to see if they find out.  Get in first and let them know - apologise profusely and they may go easy on you.  If they find something that isn't declared, telling them you forgot at that point isn't going to wash.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:34:32 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: ^_^

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2017, 07:32:12 am »
For the declarations, bring a working pen, if you make a mistake there will be extra cards before customs, but pens are extremly scarce as people have a habit of walking off with them,

Offline ^_^Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 07:57:58 am »
@NANDBlog, Rerouter:

I see.
Well, I guess my luck is that I have the house taken care of for the first month and can prolong it.
It is a student house with one possible roommate, though, but fully equipped.
The caution is only $300.

I've also read some blogs and the people seemed to be able to find fully furnished and equipped studio/apartment/shared flat after some devotion to search.

It's similar in Germany, I guess. In a small city I lived, there would be mostly unfurnished flats, just painted walls and *maybe* a fridge or laundry machine.
But in Munich there's lots of furnished apartments, though it's mostly shared with flatmates.

@vk6zgo, Brumby:

Yup, it's well over what one would consider resonable amount I guess ;)
I will for sure take less than $10k !

Aside from quarantine issues, when travelling to Australia, if you are carrying a total of AUS$10,000 or more, or equivalent in foreign currency, you must declare the money on your Incoming Passenger Card and when questioned by Australian Customs officials upon arrival.

@Brumby, Rerouter:

Yeah, I've read about those import customs.
It's just easier not to bring any food and bio-related stuff. Who would need that anyway?
Except Léon the pro with his sweet little green friend.

A pen it is!

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2017, 08:52:14 am »
Yeah, I've read about those import customs.
It's just easier not to bring any food and bio-related stuff. Who would need that anyway?
If you dare, it is faster to enter the USA with some "bio stuff". You just declare that you have. Then they will pick you from the line, go to a separate room. You open your bag, and place a chocolate bar in front of them. Then they clear you and off you go. Much much faster than waiting in line. Only downside, they are more likely to put on the dreaded rubber glove.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 02:02:14 pm »
Australia doesn't have many of the plant & stock diseases which occur in other countries, so you should also read up on quarantine, re foodstuffs, rawhide leather, etc.

It's always amazing to see on "reality" programs such as Border Security or the like the sheer amount of exotic c%$# that some people from Asian countries try to bring along with them, presuming that they can just bluff or bribe their way past some dumb western official by feigning ignorance or next to no grasp of the English language or our laws so clearly written out for them in their own tongue.

Mostly pointless too as all Australian cities have large Asian communities with specialty shops that import all sorts of oriental oddities. Heck even mainstream Woolworths in Rundle Mall here in Adelaide stock the authentic Vietnamese fish sauce that I last sampled from amongst the table condiments at a Vietnamese-run laksa & noodle bar. Can't miss that distinctive read and white bottle; imagine the essence of a marathon runners armpit or sweaty sock concentrated and amplified x500. Must be the oriental equivalent of Garum and the market could only be a select minority of their Asian clientele.

Anyway, there is no need to bring food stuffs over from Germany anymore as we've been able to buy Haribo Gummibaerchen here for years already. You can never grow too old for Gummibaerchen.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:09:54 pm by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 12:41:06 pm »
This is a HUGE plus. Use it, Australians, or they will take it away!

Quote from: Rerouter on 2017-08-11, 21:45:29
For almost all of center, west and south Sydney, If your budget is small, get a cheap mountain bike with a item rack on the back. you can get them for under $200, and it will let you get yourself established much easier if you cannot afford a car straight up (expect about $900 a year for registration, insurance, etc, on a car) There are bicycle tracks all over the place, it may take you longer to get from A-B, but you can haul 30-50 kg on the item rack, which allows for things like groceries and small items of furniture

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »
The little card they give you on the plane is not for fun, it's a legal document.

Very true - and once you've handed it over, it's too late to change it - so be straight.

It can also be a way to fast track customs, just declare something (like a packet of nuts) and go to the (usually shorter) declaration line. In peak arrival times, this can save an hour or more.
And yes, Australia (and New Zealand) have the strictest quarantine in the world, and they mean business. But they are friendly, and you won't be greeted by someone with a gun anywhere in an Australian airport.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, ^_^

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2017, 04:00:25 pm »
I want to apologize for continuing the thread about "how to speak Australians" when the "facts" presented there were so very clearly wrong.

We all have a great many quirks and I sometimes see our making fun of one another in a playful way as the first step to deep friendship. Humor is a very positive force for good.

As an American I do often enjoy it when our quirks are pointed out. We could use the input.

I hope you wont mind my asking you something about Germany.

I've heard a great deal about the strange (to me) custom of renting flats sans (without) kitchen appliances?  In the US it is the landlord's responsibility to provide the working refrigerator, stove, etc.   

Ive been told that some people are lucky (or not, perhaps) to have the contents of kitchens (??) sold to them by a previous occupant?

I would be interested in hearing more about that. Another thing I think is interesting is living somewhere where there are very old buildings that many people still live in.

Here in the US and in Australia which looks a lot like California both in landscape,  and architecture, most housing is fairly new, perhaps compared to Europe, where some people live in houses that are hundreds of years old. San Francisco has a lot of 100 year old housing stock, (much of it dates from the years immediately after the 1906 fire). but little that predates that.   Where I live now there are some (a very few) houses that are several hundred years old but they tend to be occupied by museums, etc. not lived in.

And there are not very many of them still around. In Europe many old houses seem to still be occupied.

For example, an old friend of mine was part owner of a very large multistoried house (I think she still is) inside of an old European walled city that was built in the 16th or 17th century, which is still standing.

I could certainly see that as presenting a lot of potential problems electrically, too.

Quote from: ^_^ on Yesterday at 01:57:58

It's similar in Germany, I guess. In a small city I lived, there would be mostly unfurnished flats, just painted walls and *maybe* a fridge or laundry machine.
But in Munich there's lots of furnished apartments, though it's mostly shared with flatmates.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:17:48 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2017, 04:56:31 pm »
And there are not very many of them still around. In Europe many old houses seem to still be occupied.

For example, an old friend of mine was part owner of a very large multistoried house (I think she still is) inside of an old European walled city that was built in the 16th or 17th century, which is still standing.

I could certainly see that as presenting a lot of potential problems electrically, too.

It really depends from case to case. You can have those electrical and plumbing installations recently renovated, or be hundred years old.
In my hometown, many people still lives inside walls of a 1700 year old Roman palace without any problem  :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocletian%27s_Palace

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »
Same with food, plant material and anything else on the passenger card - JUST BE HONEST and you won't get into trouble.  You might have some things confiscated if they are not allowed in, but just make sure you aren't seen to be trying to sneak something past them.
I've been to NZ once and took the red lane instead of green lane and told the customs officer I think I have nothing to declare but he should check my bags/suitcase to make sure. I know Australia and New Zealand are very cautious not to get any dissease into their (isolated) ecosystems.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ^_^Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
Only downside, they are more likely to put on the dreaded rubber glove.

Very welcoming!

Anyway, there is no need to bring food stuffs over from Germany anymore as we've been able to buy Haribo Gummibaerchen here for years already. You can never grow too old for Gummibaerchen.

I've heard eating Haribo adult-style is to put them into vodka "bath". They get swollen. Didn't try it yet, though.

Just declare something (like a packet of nuts) and go to the (usually shorter) declaration line. In peak arrival times, this can save an hour or more.

Thanks for the airport-hack.

I hope you wont mind my asking you something about Germany.
I've heard a great deal about the strange (to me) custom of renting flats sans (without) kitchen appliances? In the US it is the landlord's responsibility to provide the working refrigerator, stove, etc.   
Ive been told that some people are lucky (or not, perhaps) to have the contents of kitchens (??) sold to them by a previous occupant?
I would be interested in hearing more about that. Another thing I think is interesting is living somewhere where there are very old buildings that many people still live in.

First off, most Germans rent.
In big cities, as there are many options, you get to see lots of flats fully furnished and equipped. They are usually shared: flatmates.
However, it's true that some people do rent basically empty flat (all you get is paint on the walls).
I think the reason is they buy the flat as an future investment (for kids/for sale/whatever).
Those flats have long contracts, like 1+ year, so you can't be thrown away and if you want to leave you have to let know months in advance. This way no one gets screwed, ideally.
There's a possibility that previous tentant will want to sell his stuff, so then he would participate in finding a new tentant with the landlord and offer his stuff at a price.
As for old buildings I don't know anyone around here living in a building older than 70-80 years old; or they got fully restored and you don't even know.

BTW a cool thing here in student's houses is to leave some of your stuff for others to take when you move out. Like a pan, chair, books, etc. I found it a nice custom.

In my hometown, many people still lives inside walls of a 1700 year old Roman palace without any problem  :)

I've been there this summer ! ;)
Impressive place; has this old-culture vibe.
Also, I've heard they shot some GoT scenes there.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 02:29:06 am »
As far as appliances go in Australia, for rentals, you can pretty much guarantee a stove or oven plus cook top will be available, plus hot water system.  The norm is that these are fixed installations.  Sometimes a dishwasher might be in the mix.

All other appliances - such as refrigerator, microwave, kettle, etc. are your responsibility.  You may get lucky and find something furnished, but they are in the minority.

Air conditioning is also something you may get in a rental - but it is a bonus if you do.  Don't expect it unless you are moving up the cost scale.  If you do, then it would likely be a wall/window unit for 'entry level' properties.  Middle range might get you a split system, but there are lots of cheap split system air cons available these days, so you might see one on a cheaper rental.  Ducted air con is next level.

Central heating is not all that common in Sydney.  In fact, I don't know anyone who has it.  I've never seen it snow in Sydney - but we did have a whole 1" of it in 1836 (which didn't last past noon) and a showing in 1941.  Temperatures might go down to 0ºC overnight in winter, but it is a rare day when temperatures don't reach double digits during the day.

Offline gregariz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 03:34:11 am »

Actually, that'd gonna be one of the first things I do.
I was advised to bring money in cash and first working day go to the bank and load it all up on the account.

Be very careful with this, as there is a limit on how much money in cash can be brought into Australia.

NO THERE IS NOT!!

You can bring as much as you like - but if the total value is $10,000 Australian Dollars or more,  YOU MUST DECLARE IT!  Expect the Customs officials to ask you about it - and, I would suggest, to have the means to explain and demonstrate you are NOT engaged in money laundering.

This is the big mistake that people make - is that they think there is a limit and DON'T declare anything.

Bad move.

Same with food, plant material and anything else on the passenger card - JUST BE HONEST and you won't get into trouble.  You might have some things confiscated if they are not allowed in, but just make sure you aren't seen to be trying to sneak something past them.

Edit: Cash limit is $AUD10,000 or more, not in excess of $10,000

That is actually right, the WTO stepped in to warn the Australian government (who knew what was happening) as Chinese citizens (ie low level officials/criminals) were taking cash out of China into Australia (millions in suitcases) via Hong Kong to park it in the property market. This was technically illegal as China has restrictions on amounts of cash funds exiting the country. Shortly afterwards the government made a half arsed attempt to see it was doing something by targeting some of the luxury second hand build sales that were selling for many millions. Meanwhile China has been running around the world when they identify these people with offers of reduced sentencing/family penalties if they bring the wealth back into the country

With regard to the job situation I would set your sights pretty low - or go to the US. Activity in Australia is very low and the jobs that are on offer mostly junior or support roles or applications roles - very little real design happening. There are Australian engineers everywhere in the US because of it. I'm lucky enough that I am now old enough and experienced enough that I know a number of the GM's of the few Australian companies via networking at conferences etc. I will often go see them when I am in Australia. My opinion is it is as worse as I have ever seen it. Very few of them have much visibility of the future. Sometimes I think there are periods where things pick up a bit but the general trend has been dreadful. So by all means move but go in with your eyes open. You may have thick skin / don't care but I refuse to run a life and family on 1-3 year contract roles.

In the US I have been getting contacted several times a week for the last year about jobs. One of them was something of a wet dream in Australian terms but I couldn't uproot my family. It's chalk and cheese.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:35:55 am by gregariz »

Offline ^_^Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2017, 01:38:42 am »
[...] Activity in Australia is very low and the jobs that are on offer mostly junior or support roles or applications roles - very little real design happening. There are Australian engineers everywhere in the US because of it. [...]

That's really interesting.
I hope it's only your subjective overview.
I see embedded/hardware roles being added almost daily on seek.
But as I don't see the bigger picture, maybe you're right.

Offline ^_^Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2017, 01:40:34 am »
Hey guys,

it's been some time!
I was very busy last days of August before departure and first week here as well.
Here's a summary and overview of what I've learned/seen/did:
- I was processed significantly faster compared to the other people at the airport immigration stand and I didn't go through the quarantine, they just let me pass the whole queue with few other people. Maybe it was the visa.
- I lost all that gained time, as Uber would not accept my payment (even though it was working the day before) and I had to overpay for a taxi.
- The streets in Sydney are pretty bad quality.
- So are the sidewalks.
- Got the sim card at the airport = instant internet. Great!
- Using your advice I got an Opal at one of the centers in walking distance. No worries.
- I love the healthy approach towards goods sold in the shops. There's so much detail in the "made of" section. I have the impression, that stuff here has less chemicals compared to say, Germany. Hope it's true.
- I had a wristwatch with me I've set to Sydney time a day before the flight. I used to look at it often and affirmate myself that this is *the time* now. Didn't have any jetlag problems, just exhaustion.
- Coins are really different here. Bigger and heavier does not mean more value. Trolololo!
- Sunny everyday so far. Wow!
- Nothing tried to kill me yet!

But seriously, friends ask me if I like it here and it's way too soon to tell.
Basically, I was a robot running a program so far. The program now is "find job". First sight of the Opera was when I was going to a company, so it was just random ;)
I know I'll have all the time to see everything once I settle.

As for the job, I went to Michael Page, Kinexus and Hays offices, besides applying at seek and finishing my resume in "Australian standard".
It was a wrong move, as they don't appreciate walk-ins. You gotta have an appointment.
Well, but I got to see the CBD and all those suity-business-people, so profit :)
Also, Michael Page office has an amazing view, had to take a picture.

Cheers mates!

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2017, 02:27:44 am »
Welcome!
Isn't the 50c the most ridiculous coin ever!
For really nice / fresh fruit vegetables - a growers market is a good source.
Hope the job hunting goes well.
Robert
Adelaide SA
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline ^_^Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 02:40:15 am »
Welcome!
Isn't the 50c the most ridiculous coin ever!

At first I though it represents deci-cents for some reason and treated it as $5 !! :-DD  :-DD
but the cashier didn't.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2017, 04:37:15 am »
Welcome to Sydney!

We have had a rather long spell of little to no rain lately.  A bit unusual - and the fire-fighters are getting a bit anxious about bush fires this Summer.  Just one word of warning on that - if there are fire ban days, respect that.  If you smoke, DON'T toss a smouldering anything anywhere - whether there are bans on or not.  Make sure it is well and truly out.  Last year, we had the pine bark mulch in a median strip reserve catch fire from (I suspect) some moron flicking his cigarette butt out the car window.

The fire services like to get "hazard reduction" burns done before it gets too dangerous to do so.  This is a controlled burn-off where fuel is consumed by deliberately lighting fires - and carefully controlling them.  We are passing out of that window - but there could still be opportunities.  If you see a blackish-brown smoke plume in the distance then hope that is what is happening.  If it's a real bush fire, then you will likely see some people tense up - even if they're well out of danger.

Sydney's suburbs are generally safer than outer areas - but there are bushland pockets all around, so everybody tends to become more aware of the risks.  There seems to be an exception to this with a lot of smokers, though.  >:(

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2017, 05:45:19 am »
Welcome! Keep us posted on your progress and as always, there are people here who can give you advice if needed. The Sydney CBD is a bit chaotic at the moment as they are ripping up some of the streets for the light rail/trams.

:-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2017, 08:44:18 am »
- Coins are really different here. Bigger and heavier does not mean more value. Trolololo!

Technically, this one exists, but they haven't made it for a long time:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:08 am »
As for the job, I went to Michael Page, Kinexus and Hays offices, besides applying at seek and finishing my resume in "Australian standard".
It was a wrong move, as they don't appreciate walk-ins. You gotta have an appointment.

Yeah, don't just rock up!
Go see Tom Marinov, tell him I sent you, I think he'll remember me.

https://www.mcs-consulting.com.au/

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:00 am »
Be careful about the agencies you approach.

Many years ago, I went to one that had the "shotgun" approach.  They sent multiple copies of my CV to all and sundry.  Really pissed me off when I found out.  No attempt to match me against any positions.

I suggest sticking to ones that people recommend.  It's been a while, but I recall Michael Page and MCS being OK.

Offline ^_^Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 08:35:01 am »
Welcome to Sydney!

We have had a rather long spell of little to no rain lately.  A bit unusual - and the fire-fighters are getting a bit anxious about bush fires this Summer.  Just one word of warning on that - if there are fire ban days, respect that.  If you smoke, DON'T toss a smouldering anything anywhere - whether there are bans on or not.  Make sure it is well and truly out.  Last year, we had the pine bark mulch in a median strip reserve catch fire from (I suspect) some moron flicking his cigarette butt out the car window.

The fire services like to get "hazard reduction" burns done before it gets too dangerous to do so.  This is a controlled burn-off where fuel is consumed by deliberately lighting fires - and carefully controlling them.  We are passing out of that window - but there could still be opportunities.  If you see a blackish-brown smoke plume in the distance then hope that is what is happening.  If it's a real bush fire, then you will likely see some people tense up - even if they're well out of danger.

Sydney's suburbs are generally safer than outer areas - but there are bushland pockets all around, so everybody tends to become more aware of the risks.  There seems to be an exception to this with a lot of smokers, though.  >:(

Wow, that's really serious matter. I don't smoke, but I'll keep this in mind.
In Research Institute I used to work for there was a project going on: it consisted of small battery-powered devices able to recognize fire, connected together in wireless mesh network, that would later get thrown out of the airplane over a forest!

Offline ^_^Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:29 am »
Go see Tom Marinov, tell him I sent you, I think he'll remember me.

https://www.mcs-consulting.com.au/

Thanks!
I sent them my resume in the evening and the guy called back the next day early in the morning (9am.), while I was about to put my pants on after shower.
I ended up replying to his questions and trying to put my pants on with one hand, which didn't work at all.
I'm glad it wasn't a video interview.

Anyways... tommorow I have my first interview in Australia at Rode Microphones. I'm very excited :box:
Rewatching Dave's videos on microphones.
Gonna nail it.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2017, 10:56:43 am »
Nice! Rode make a lot of good gear! All the best! Let us know how you go.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf