Author Topic: MP3 splitter that auto divides into 1 hour segments ?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
MP3 splitter that auto divides into 1 hour segments ?
« on: June 21, 2021, 01:32:40 am »
I have a program that can chop MP3 programs into smaller sections, but that's kind of a pain. Does anyone know a of an program that will automatically divide an MP3 in x # of  parts, or into segments of whatever length, and also name them so u can save them easily too ?

It would make an interesting beginner programing project

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: MP3 splitter that auto divides into 1 hour segments ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 01:41:49 am »
ffmpeg -i input.mp3 -f segment -segment_time 60 -c copy out%03d.mp3

60 is the number of seconds per fragment.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: mathsquid, MrMobodies

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 01:56:13 am »
I recommend mp3spilt. I do this all the time with long podcasts because my mp3 player is a potato.

Can be a gui version or a console input if you prefer. Can also accept your .cue files so you can really go to town on the resulting output.

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 02:05:38 am »

is that linux? So bash terminal ? I'd be better off with a GUI tho thanks

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 02:13:24 am »
ffmpeg is available for windows too. But yes, it is a command line tool.

I think in windows you can create a shortcut with this command and just drag and drop your file on that shortcut. There will be some experimenting required, but it should be doable.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 02:15:01 am by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: MathWizard

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 02:57:16 am »

i tried it in a windows cmd prompt and it works a treat. The %03d is the number of digits in each segment number. So 001-999.

You would need to put the ffmpeg in a directory in your windows Path search to avoid having to C:\myprogramfilespath\ffmpeg every time.

Now if there was a way to provide a list of times to split at. That would be handy. I'll have to check that out.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 04:04:57 am »
I have a program that can chop MP3 programs into smaller sections, but that's kind of a pain. Does anyone know a of an program that will automatically divide an MP3 in x # of  parts, or into segments of whatever length, and also name them so u can save them easily too ?

It would make an interesting beginner programing project

Reinvention of the wheel isn’t necessary when Linux has the whole Victorinox product line, plus a billion more freebies, ready and waiting for you.

If you desire gui, there’ll already be a tool to do this, no doubt, but I’m sure that rolling one to interface with the bash commands mentioned, won’t be too hard. You could even use Visual Basic, if you were so inclined.

I never understand why people see gui as “easy” and bash as “hard”; back in the 70s and 80s you had no choice, and I don’t recall anyone having been any the worse for memorising useful, powerful commands. I also recognise your desire to have a simple gui tool, and am not here to “convert” you, through ridiculous notion of “better vs worse” tools.

A Windows executable for ffmpeg has existed for time immemorial; it’s just a cursory Google away.

I’m self-taught with bash commands, and use them all day every day; the learning curve can be steep, but the rewards are great.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 01:37:09 am »
well I should try the commandline way , because so far the mp3slpitter I tried must be shareware/demo version, it only let me make 30min segments maximim, and then after choping up 2-3 audiobooks, it now only converts the 1st hour.

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 02:30:07 am »
well I should try the commandline way , because so far the mp3slpitter I tried must be shareware/demo version, it only let me make 30min segments maximim, and then after choping up 2-3 audiobooks, it now only converts the 1st hour.

Whilst I'm not sure about ffmpeg even if you select the mp3lame decoder, mp3split does chop the mp3 up correctly and will check the bit reservoir and fix so that the cuts are not brutal.
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf